Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

3 Stooges Ultimate Collection DVD, June 5

BeAStooge · 360 · 94516

Linked Events

• Three Stooges Ultimate Collection DVD: June 05, 2012 - June 11, 2012

Offline Paul Allen

.... Sony said themselves they're going to release it separately...
"When? " is the big question for everybody.

If you have $60 to burn, more power to you.
I'm only "burning" about $45 since the new volume would cost me about $17 anyway ($62 - $17 = $45)
 [pie] <---That's Sony hitting me in the face with a pie!  LOL

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got Sally Of The Sawdust (KINO version) with W.C. Fields in the mail today. Looking forward to seeing it.

Offline luke795

I'm not going to sell and then rebuy all 8 volumes. To be honest, these solo shorts are just an added bonus for me and I'm not really dying to have them. Yeah, they'd be nice to own, but all I really dreamed of having was all 190 shorts uncut and now I have them. Sony can go ahead and make this "Rare Treasures" DVD exclusive to this Ultimate Set. They're the ones that will lose out on a sale since I'm not going to fall for their trap. I'm not desperate to own them because I'm satisfied with just having all 190 shorts. If Sony comes to their senses and releases this separately, then yes, I'll buy it. But if they don't, then Sony loses out, not me.

Then you won't the 3 Stooges feature film Have Rocket Will Travel.

Offline Paul Allen

??? Huh?  What are you asking (or stating)?

xraffle

I already converted my VHS copy to DVD. It's not the same, but I don't mind. I don't find myself watching the DeRita flicks very often anyway.

I honestly believe Sony will eventually release the "Rare Treasures" set individually sometime in the near or far future. Like Paul said, "when" is the big question. If it's in the far future, then I'll patiently wait. Like I said, I'm not dying to have these, so I'll live.

Offline locoboymakesgood

If Sony comes to their senses and releases this separately, then yes, I'll buy it. But if they don't, then Sony loses out, not me.
Just because it's not coming out day-and-date as this ultimate collection doesn't mean they're not going to release it.

Sony already confirmed that they were, so I don't know what your point is exactly. I agree with you that selling and rebuying is dumb.

If any of you have all 8 volumes already, will a little while longer really matter to wait for this set since you've already been waiting eons for it anyway?
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline falsealarms

For what it's worth, I looked at their Facebook page just now and don't even see the post about a potential separate release anymore. It was posted in late February, but it doesn't appear to be there anymore. Maybe I just don't see it?

https://www.facebook.com/SonyPictures

Offline Larry Larry

I don't know what they are waiting for (to announce and sell this separately).   Are the sales going to be that huge that it warrants a separate marketing and distribution program?   It seems like they would be saving themselves a great deal of marketing expense to do this once. 

I'm waiting though on the separate volume.  They've promised it so it will be here eventually.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

xraffle

Just because it's not coming out day-and-date as this ultimate collection doesn't mean they're not going to release it.

Sony already confirmed that they were, so I don't know what your point is exactly. I agree with you that selling and rebuying is dumb.

Paul Allen said that we don't know exactly when Sony will release it separately, so because of that, he feels that we should sell and rebuy our DVDs. So, I was just making it a point that it doesn't really matter to me.

And since Sony hasn't announced a date yet for the separate release, it does make me wonder if they are holding off on it indefinitely to see how much extra money they can get from fans who are willing to rebuy all 8 volumes. And as you can see, some people here are willing to do that, so I don't blame Sony. It's business.

Offline HELLOLARRY

darn...you beat me to it. I just saw that and placed my order. I had a gift card for Best Buy so it was a no brainer. This is a very good price for this set.

xraffle

Wow - bestbuy.com currently has a $44.99 pre-order on this thing. And shipping is free.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Three+Stooges%3A+Ultimate+Collection+(20pc)+-+Subtitle+-+DVD/5423499.p?id=2381893&skuId=5423499&st=Three%20Stooges:%20Ultimate%20Collection&lp=1&cp=1

I wonder if the 8 volumes inside the box will be shrink wrapped. If so, you can buy this set and sell the 8 volumes brand new for $5 each (or more). That means you will get $40 back and will only pay $4 for the "Rare Treasures" DVD. Not that I, myself, will do that, but it's just an idea for those that are considering selling and rebuying the 8 volumes. However, if it's only the outer box that's shrink wrapped, then this idea isn't good since opened items will lower the value of the products. People on Ebay tend to bid higher on shrink wrapped products.

Offline Stooge-Adam

I'll buy this set and I have a friend who loves The Three Stooges but he doesn't have a lot of money. So I'll just GIVE him my 8 volumes and enjoy this new set. I have been waiting for "Have Rocket, Will Travel" forever. This will complete my Curly-Joe films collection.

I hope Shout Fatory or some other DVD company picks up the rights to release a complete series boxset for the cartoon series. I'm also hoping MGM releases the Ted Healy stuff. I know there's a DVD called "The Early Years" but the quality is poor on that and Nertsery Rhymes is in black and white. I want the color version, since it was originally shown in color (as far as I understand).

Offline falsealarms

The solo shorts will be the main attraction for me, but HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL will be great to have on DVD. The talking unicorn is a low point, but most of the film is pretty fun.

Like most of their later features, HAVE ROCKET had a great opening:

Some of the MGM shorts have received official DVD release by WB as extras - DANCING LADY (1933) has PLANE NUTS and ROAST BEEF AND MOVIES. FLYING DOWN TO RIO (1933) has BEER AND PRETZELS. But I hope some of Healy MGM films land in the archive, especially DEATH ON THE DIAMOND.

Some of the color rhapsody cartoons appear to be lost: http://theshortsdepartment.webs.com/columbiacartoons.htm

Offline falsealarms

John Landis on HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL in this "Trailers From Hell" segment.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
The final four Besser solos, all remakes with stock footage, should be in widescreen.

Yes, they and HAVE ROCKET are in their proper 1.85 ratio.

In reply to someone else's question... all 9 volumes are individually wrapped.

One downside... Rare Treasures' 3 discs are stacked on a single spindle.

Whether you're getting it now, or waiting for a future (TBA) "Rare Treasures" solo release, it's highly recommended.  All I've had time to look at so far are the handful of films I've never seen before. 

Sneak preview...
Shemp is on fire in HOME ON THE RAGE (1938).  It has one of the funniest knockabout scenes I've ever seen... without spoiling anything, Shemp tries to take a passed-out & sick Andy upstairs to bed, and the minute of physical business that followed left me gasping for breath I was laughing so damned hard.

Offline falsealarms

Thanks for that information. I'm curious, what were the other films that you hadn't seen before?

You have me even more interested in HOME ON THE RAGE now. Tomorrow will come soon enough....

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
what were the other films that you hadn't seen before?

HOME ON THE RAGE  (1938)
OFF AGAIN, ON AGAIN  (1945)
JIGGERS, MY WIFE  (1946)
WAITING IN THE LURCH  (1949)
DIZZY YARDBIRD  (1950)
’FRAIDY CAT  (1951)
AIM, FIRE, SCOOT  (1952)
THE FIRE CHASER  (1954)

xraffle

Thanks.

So, like I said before, for those that want to double dip, sell the 8 volumes on Ebay brand new for $5+ each and you'll get your money back. It's just an idea if you can't wait for the individual release of "Rare Treasures."

Offline Stooges#1

Are there any pictures you can provide? It sounds like the 8 volumes already released are packaged differently to how they originally come out?

Offline Paul Allen

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed in the past -

Does anyone know for sure why the 1938 Andy Clyde short, Not Guilty Enough (with Shemp Howard), won't be included in The Three Stooges Ultimate Collection set?
Without its inclusion, is it really the "ultimate" collection?

Offline falsealarms

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed in the past -

Does anyone know for sure why the 1938 Andy Clyde short, Not Guilty Enough (with Shemp Howard), won't be included in The Three Stooges Ultimate Collection set? Without its inclusion, is it really the "ultimate" collection?

On another site, Mike Schlesinger of Sony assumes that NOT GUILTY ENOUGH and the Besser solo CUCKOORANCHOO either didn't exist anymore or exist in substandard condition. If those shorts are "lost" then that would be pretty big news. I doubt we'll ever get a definitive answer, but it would be nice.

Despite the few nitpicks with this set, it's hard not to be pleased. It's being offered below rock bottom prices for what you're getting. The three bonus discs are worth the $45 - $60 by themselves. Getting proper releases of these solo shorts have been a pipe dream for awhile - decades to some people. And now we have them and on pressed discs. With the release of these 28 solo shorts, today should be one of the most celebrated days in the history of this board.

Offline falsealarms

Offline luke795

Can Someone Do Comparison Screenshots Of Have Rocket Will Travel?

xraffle

The three bonus discs are worth the $45 - $60 by themselves.

I guess spending $45 just for the "Rare Treasures" set is a better use of one's money than spending $35 buying the Farrelly Bros. movie on Blu-ray.

Offline Paul Allen

Wow - bestbuy.com currently has a $44.99 pre-order on this thing. And shipping is free.
Darn it!! >:( Now I'm kicking myself for not shopping more patiently before pulling the trigger with Buy.com at $61.99!
 :o I didn't think any seller of this set would go as low as $44.99!!
For all you good fans that had been holding out, maybe you won't mind double-dipping now for only $44.99! That's a fantastic deal no matter how you look at it!

Thank you, falsealarms, for your reply concerning Not Guilty Enough.