Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Has anyone seen these?

Offline falsealarms

Has anyone seen any of the films on the ICONS OF HORROR: SAM KATZMAN set? It came out a few years ago. The films are: The Giant Claw / Creature with the Atom Brain / Zombies of Mora Tau / The Werewolf. Are they worthwhile?

I don't have much (or any) exposure to films like those ones, but in the right light, they sound kind of fun. But the real draw to this set is an apparently restored Columbia comedy short, a Tom Kennedy/Monte Collins entry from 1936 by the name of MIDNIGHT BLUNDERS. Directed by Del Lord, it seems like this short has quite a bit of potential:

From THE THRILLING DAYS OF YESTERYEAR BLOG:

http://thrillingdaysofyesteryear.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.html

Ted (Okuda), Ed (Watz) and I are, however, all in agreement that Midnight Blunders (1936) is the best of the Collins/Kennedy vehicles: a marvelous short that features the two as bumbling bank guards who assist a damsel-in-distress (Phyllis Crane) by attempting to locate her scientist father (who’s been kidnapped by a powerful Chinatown warlord) and tangling with his half-human, half-robot creation (played by Jack “Tiny” Lipson). As Okuda and Watz note: “Mixing chills with laughs is usually a surefire combination, and Midnight Blunders is no exception. The extraordinary grim depiction of Chinatown after dark is worthy of a legitimate horror film, and provides the film with a properly eerie mood.”

Anyone familiar with the short? I do like Collins and Kennedy on their own, but haven't seen any of their work as a team.

Offline metaldams

Has anyone seen any of the films on the ICONS OF HORROR: SAM KATZMAN set? It came out a few years ago. The films are: The Giant Claw / Creature with the Atom Brain / Zombies of Mora Tau / The Werewolf. Are they worthwhile?

I don't have much (or any) exposure to films like those ones, but in the right light, they sound kind of fun. But the real draw to this set is an apparently restored Columbia comedy short, a Tom Kennedy/Monte Collins entry from 1936 by the name of MIDNIGHT BLUNDERS. Directed by Del Lord, it seems like this short has quite a bit of potential:

From THE THRILLING DAYS OF YESTERYEAR BLOG:

http://thrillingdaysofyesteryear.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.html

Anyone familiar with the short? I do like Collins and Kennedy on their own, but haven't seen any of their work as a team.

I have this set and bought it for the horror movies since I love old horror films.  The Columbia short was a pleasant bonus for me.  I think I've only watched the short twice, and I do remember enjoying it, but it's been a while.  The short does have a monster element to it, which is why it was included with the set.

THE GIANT CLAW is one of the all-time great camp B horror movies.  A picture is worth a thousand words in this case.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Speaking of that, this review is kind of funny: