Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Best "Scare Comedy" films?

Offline pipboytaylor

I've always enjoyed  watching comedians in a haunted house type setting. What are some of the best examples that you know of?

Bob Hope & Paulette Goddard
- Ghost Breakers
- Cat & The Canary

-Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein

The Bowery Boys
- Bowery Boys Meet The Monsters
- Spookbusters
- Ghost Chasers

Any other good examples?

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Don Knotts - "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken"
 [yikes2]
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Abbott and Costello - Hold That Ghost
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Laurel & Hardy
 -  THE LAUREL-HARDY MURDER CASE (1930)
 -  THE LIVE GHOST (1934)
 -  OLIVER THE EIGHTH (1934)

The East Side Kids / The Bowery Boys
 -  SPOOKS RUN WILD (1941)
 -  GHOSTS ON THE LOOSE (1943)
 -  SPOOK BUSTERS (1946)
 -  GHOST CHASERS (1951)
 -  THE BOWERY BOYS MEET THE MONSTERS (1954)
 -  SPOOK CHASERS (1957)

Offline metaldams

I gotta say, scare comedies for the most part are not my favorite genre.  That said, the ones I like the most are ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN, THE GHOST BREAKERS, and though I can't remember any titles and have only seen them on youtube, the Dudley Dickerson/Hugh Herbert Columbia shorts I've seen are great.  Dudley Dickerson was the best at scare comedies, by far having the funniest reactions.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

I'm not really into scare comedy's either, but I like Army of darkness.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Dudley Dickerson was the best at scare comedies, by far having the funniest reactions.

Our Gang's SPOOKY HOOKY (1936), with Dudley Dickerson...

Offline metaldams

Thanks Brent!  That was enjoyable, and Dudley with his arms in the air and falling through the door was the biggest laugh.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline pipboytaylor

I think the "Ghost & Mr. Chicken" is one of the finest examples. Don Knotts had the reactions down. The scenes where he is sitting in his boarding house waiting to get up the nerve to go over to the haunted house and spend the night, all the while listening to the little old ladies tell their stories of what they have heard over there are classic and among my favorite.

I'm always on the hunt for a hidden gem in this genre. The Little Rascals entries, I have always enjoyed as well.

Have any of you ever seen the Edward Bernds & Ellwood Ullman written Elvis flick called "Tickle Me"? Not sure how they came up with this silly title but the film itself, in the ending haunted western hotel sequences has their influences all over it and easily comparable to some of the Stooges scare comedy stuff. I have always enjoyed this comedy film and thought it always got a bad rap. I thought Jack Mullaney did a fine job as the comedy sidekick to Elvis' straight man. If you haven't seen it, check it out. It's a cut above some of Presley's weaker "fluff" films.

Offline metaldams

Have any of you ever seen the Edward Bernds & Ellwood Ullman written Elvis flick called "Tickle Me"? Not sure how they came up with this silly title but the film itself, in the ending haunted western hotel sequences has their influences all over it and easily comparable to some of the Stooges scare comedy stuff. I have always enjoyed this comedy film and thought it always got a bad rap. I thought Jack Mullaney did a fine job as the comedy sidekick to Elvis' straight man. If you haven't seen it, check it out. It's a cut above some of Presley's weaker "fluff" films.[/color]

I like a lot of Elvis's music, but when it comes to his movies, I saw JAILHOUSE ROCK, which is supposed to be one of his better ones, and I didn't care for it.  I figured if I didn't care for that one, I probably shouldn't dive into his 60's movies.  That said, your description of TICKLE ME and the Bernds/Ullman collaboration peak my interest.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Hammond Eggar

How about The Private Eyes (1981), starring Don Knotts and Tim Conway?  Here's the trailer.

Of course, there's also Clue (1985), featuring an all-star cast led by Tim Curry.

[ Invalid YouTube link ]
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline ThunderStooge

I enjoyed the Abbott and Costello scare comedy stuff.
I also love 'Clue' and 'Murder by Death'
"Wake up and Go ta sleep!"