Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Time Capsule: 1965 Three Stooges Reference

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
"ED SULLIVAN SHOWs With The Rolling Stones" was recently released; two versions, one with 4 of their guest appearances, and another with all 6. The band's May 2, 1965 show is on both DVD sets. The Three Stooges appeared their 4th time one week later on May 9, and Sullivan promotes the upcoming appearance before the closing credits. The response from the audience, largely teenage girls, is not what I would call favorable... something along the lines of a restrained groan.

Offline metaldams

"ED SULLIVAN SHOWs With The Rolling Stones" was recently released; two versions, one with 4 of their guest appearances, and another with all 6. The band's May 2, 1965 show is on both DVD sets. The Three Stooges appeared their 4th time one week later on May 9, and Sullivan promotes the upcoming appearance before the closing credits. The response from the audience, largely teenage girls, is not what I would call favorable... something along the lines of a restrained groan.

Perhaps he would've gotten a better reaction if he said The Ritz Brothers.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

A couple of interesting Ed Sullivan items from Wikipedia, and which will explain my Ritz Brothers joke for those not in the know.

"Moe Howard of the Three Stooges recalled in 1975 that Sullivan had a memory problem of sorts: "Ed was a very nice man, but for a showman, quite forgetful. On our first appearance, he introduced us as the Three Ritz Brothers. He got out of it by adding, "who look more like the Three Stooges to me."[19] Diana Ross later recalled Sullivan's forgetfulness during the many occasions The Supremes performed on his show. In a 1995 appearance on The Late Show with David Letterman (which is filmed in Ed Sullivan Theater), Ross stated, "he could never remember our names. He called us 'the girls'." "

"In a 1990 press conference Paul McCartney recalled meeting Sullivan again in the early 1970s but Sullivan apparently had no idea who McCartney was. McCartney tried to remind Sullivan that he was one of The Beatles but Sullivan obviously could not remember and, nodding and smiling, simply shook McCartney's hand and left."

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Hammond Eggar

Say, didn't Sullivan also introduce comedian Rich Little as Little Richard?  I believe so. :-[
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)