Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Sid Melton, RIP

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Veteran character actor Sid Melton has died. He was 94 (a few years older than listed on imdb and other sources).

His most well-known roles were costarring as nightclub owner 'Charley Halper' on THE DANNY THOMAS SHOW from 1959 – 1964, and inept carpenter 'Alf Monroe' on GREEN ACRES 1965 – 1971. He also had recurring roles on GOMER PYLE USMC as conman 'Friendly Freddy' and THE GOLDEN GIRLS as the voice of 'Salvadore Petrillo.' The children's adventure series CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT (1954 – 1958) featured Sid as comic sidekick 'Icky Mudd.'

Thanks to Steve Cox, author of One Fine Stooge and The Hooterville Handbook, I had the pleasure to meet and lunch with Sid. A very funny man, and a very nice man. Rest in peace.

Offline RICO987

Speaking of Green Acres, with the death of Sid Melton, that leaves the very youngest and the very oldest cast members still surviving from that show.  Frank Cady, alias Sam Drucker, is 96.  Tom Lester, AKA, Ed Dawson is 73.  According to my source, everyone else has passed away.

I have purchased the three seasons that are available of Green Acres and was showing them to my wife who had never seen the show.  She was curious as to the age of Eva Gabor when the show first ran.  I had “googled” Eva Gabor just a couple of days ago to check on her age and that is where I came upon the youngest and oldest cast members as the only surviving ones. 

Green Aces is one of favorite comedies of all time.   I guess it does kind of fit Moe Howard’s term for the 3 Stooges, “farcical comedy” with Hooterville being a kind of comedic Twilight Zone and Mr. Douglas’ attempts to deal with the uncanny situations   

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Frank Cady, alias Sam Drucker, is 96. Tom Lester, AKA, Ed Dawson is 73. According to my source, everyone else has passed away.

Mary Grace Canfield ('Ralph Monroe') is still alive.

Some of the recurring players are still with us...

-  Rick Lenz joined the show in the 4th season for several episodes as 'Brian Williams,' Oliver's new law partner. Lenz left to costar in CACTUS FLOWER (1969); the role wasn't recast.
 -  Victoria Paige Meyerink played 'Lori Baker' in the 6th season, a foster child from the city that the Douglases hosted.
 -  Judy McConnell played Eb's girlfriend 'Darlene Wheeler' in the earlier seaons.

Crossovers with sister show PETTICOAT JUNCTION were common. In addition to Frank Cady, living players from PJ who also appeared on GA are Linda Kaye Henning ('Betty Jo Bradley') and Lori Saunders ('Bobbie Jo Bradley').