The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2012 Baseball Thread

metaldams · 252 · 50139

Offline Faeriegirl

• Shemp's Darling Dilly
  • Grapehead
  • Dreaming of Shemp
    • I Surf for the Freedom!!
I like their chances too, personally though, this is shaping up to be one heck of a Series week!
Shemp: Moe! Larry! Wait for me!! *hits himself with shovel*
~ Who Done It?

Offline Whoa Moe

I like their chances too, personally though, this is shaping up to be one heck of a Series week!
Yep. One good thing for the Cards is that Molina is starting to hit....Beltran getting hurt was bad, but M. Carp has done very good in his place. I was wondering who would be the DH if we made it...looks like Beltran will get that assignment now.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm glad Jeter's injured, not from a personal standpoint but perhaps it will be a wake-up call to the Bronx like the Red Sox had theirs. Jeter is an overrated, overpaid jackass at about $18 million a year and 40 years old. He held out because he wouldn't accept a pay cut for his declining skill set, somehow forcing me to side with the Yankees and take an acid bath afterwards. Maybe they will stop looking at the past and look at the present with their team of relics and fossils and get rid of them.

The sweep is a bittersweet dessert for this Sox fan who filled up on shit salad this year. It's the first time they have been swept since the 1980 ALCS and the first best-of-7 sweep since the 1976 WS.

I wouldn't count the Giants out yet, if Barry Zito can be dusted off to shut down St. Louis then anyone can do it.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Lefty

Needless to say, it was a bit more quiet at work yesterday among the Skankees' fans, who realize that their team just ain't what it used to be.  Of course, the Junkies will just go out this winter and buy a new bunch of mercenaries and some more "vitamins."  Maybe the current players will realize that their next contracts won't be for as much money, unless Rube the Boob overpays for any of them.

Here's an interesting story from this morning:  http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/new-york-yankees-booing-alcs-101912

Maybe the Bronx Bums should hire Honey Boo Boo.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well it was a great run for the Cardinals, but now the party's over. Now I can watch and enjoy the World Series.  :laugh: Hope that 6 day layoff doesn't hurt the Tigers.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
HA! I said "don't count out the Giants" and sure enough they rid of the stench that is the St. Louis Cardinals. Here's hoping the WS is a good one.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Whoa Moe

The Cards had a good run and now it's over. Carpenter, Wainwright and Garcia are pretty much shot as  starters. (age and injury) Our best, Lohse is bolting to the highest bidder....Beltran and the incredibly overpaid Holliday are rounding the bend, in and out of slumps and nagging injuries. And of course, the clueless Matheney will return to botch things up ala' LaRussa.

The next few years will be dreary for St. Louisans indeed. As to the WS, I must root for the NL, but I won't be sad to see Leland get another ring.

Offline JazzBill

I see Florida dumped Ozzie today. Not much of a surprise there.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Whoa Moe

Yep...that Castro talk pretty much ruined him in Miami. (if he did not win) I like the guy. I don't think he will have any trouble getting another gig. It's Valentine that we won't see for a LONG time!

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well, what an anticlimatic start that was to the World Series. Pablo Sandoval was unbelievable. Hope Game 2 is better.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

It's amazing. The Detroit Tigers have become the New York Yankees and at the worst possible time. They couldn't hit a fucking beachball right now. Oh well, such is life in the major leagues. A sweep is a coming.

Offline metaldams

It's amazing. The Detroit Tigers have become the New York Yankees and at the worst possible time. They couldn't hit a fucking beachball right now. Oh well, such is life in the major leagues. A sweep is a coming.

My friend stated it well tonight.  Every time a team is up 3 - 0, the announcers will always remind the audience of the 2004 ALCS.  At least there's that and I suppose Fisk's home run to offshoot years of Billy Buckner/Bucky Dent/Aaron Boone TV flashbacks.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
My friend stated it well tonight.  Every time a team is up 3 - 0, the announcers will always remind the audience of the 2004 ALCS.  At least there's that and I suppose Fisk's home run to offshoot years of Billy Buckner/Bucky Dent/Aaron Boone TV flashbacks.

What is it with the Tigers sucking ass during the Series? I believe in '06 they were better than and should have beaten the Cards and now they are better than and should be beating SF. I caught a little bit of last night's game, enough to see Cabrera pop up with the bases loaded. For a playoff that started out hot with so much potential (all DS go 5, fresh blood in the mix) they sure have turned out disappointing.

Offline Lefty

Every time a team is up 3 - 0, the announcers will always remind the audience of the 2004 ALCS.

1.  It may be the only way they'll get people to watch the rest of the Series.
2.  Detroit had a 3-0 lead in the Stanley Cup Finals 70 years ago before losing that series, so maybe the localites can dream of a reversal.
3.  Where were all of these broken-bat hits by Hunter Pence when he was with the Phillies?

Offline Faeriegirl

• Shemp's Darling Dilly
  • Grapehead
  • Dreaming of Shemp
My personal thought is this; I think the Umpires were playing favorites, I watch the games on GameChannel on the internet {I don't get sports channels here in Harbin, mostly local news channels and the Weather Channel}, I've noticed that there were so many, too many in fact, called strikes when there should have been a ball or a foul. but no, for every twenty or so called strikes on the Tigers the Giants got one called strike, its like the games were rigged.

Even so, the Tigers gave it their best shot, and personally, there's always next year, I just have to put up with football and basketball now that there is no hockey going on. I just hope the SF fans don't gloat, I'm just unhappy at how it turned out personally.

I'll shut up
~ Who Done It?

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
My personal thought is this; I think the Umpires were playing favorites, I watch the games on GameChannel on the internet {I don't get sports channels here in Harbin, mostly local news channels and the Weather Channel}, I've noticed that there were so many, too many in fact, called strikes when there should have been a ball or a foul. but no, for every twenty or so called strikes on the Tigers the Giants got one called strike, its like the games were rigged.

Even so, the Tigers gave it their best shot, and personally, there's always next year, I just have to put up with football and basketball now that there is no hockey going on. I just hope the SF fans don't gloat, I'm just unhappy at how it turned out personally.

I'll shut up

The lament of a fan of the losing team.

Offline Lefty

Joe Worst was probably calling strikes from his position at second base.   >:D

I can't vouch for last night's game, but the San Francisco Treats who did the 2010 NLCS certainly helped their team then.

Offline metaldams

I'll offer my congrats to the Giants and say I was happy to see Marco Scutaro come up big.  One of the few recent Red Sox who played like he gave a shit.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Faeriegirl

• Shemp's Darling Dilly
  • Grapehead
  • Dreaming of Shemp
The lament of a fan of the losing team.
And apparently I am not the only one, I saw some of the forums on MLB some people were complaining of the games being fixed, I didn't join the forums there because I'm barely where I am now.

Guess I have to wait for April now. To heck with end of the world I WANT TO WATCH BASEBALL :D
~ Who Done It?

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
And apparently I am not the only one, I saw some of the forums on MLB some people were complaining of the games being fixed, I didn't join the forums there because I'm barely where I am now.

Guess I have to wait for April now. To heck with end of the world I WANT TO WATCH BASEBALL :D

Of course you're not the only one; you're not the only Tigers fan. If the Series were close or even interesting I'd sympathize with you more but the Tigers just got flat out beat.

Offline Whoa Moe

Josh Hamilton to the Angels? Good grief! They think they need more OFFENSE?!! Like pitching and defense mean nothing???

I admit that a lineup including Trout, Trumbo and Pujols and now Josh is a fucking monster, but I don't see them finishing any higher than 3rd again. The way I see it, all the Angels want is huge marquis names to keep them the adopted favorite of ESPN. Winning would just be a bonus.

Any thoughts on this?

Offline Shemp_Diesel

The Angels are spending money like it's going out of style. Will it be enough is another question, with that lineup you got to think it's playoffs or bust and that Mike Scioscia's ass will be put to the fire if they come up short again.

Offline Lefty

Then there are the Phillies, overspending in the bargain basement, giving away prospects, and thinking that the Wheeze Kids will make the postseason.  If Team Geritol doesn't make the playoffs, Ruin Tomorrow Jr. and Chucklehead Charlie should be kicked upstairs -- to the top of Billy Penn's hat on City Hall, and good luck to them getting off it.

Offline stooge1029

How bout my Jays? We just got Dickey to add to our all star roster...Reyes, Cabrerra...WATCH OUT YANKEES WE COMIN FOR YA!!!

Offline metaldams

How bout my Jays? We just got Dickey to add to our all star roster...Reyes, Cabrerra...WATCH OUT YANKEES WE COMIN FOR YA!!!

Toronto getting Dickey should be a good move as knuckleballers tend to last longer.  As a Red Sox fan, I wish he was not in the East.

How bout Youk as a Yankee?  I must be mellowing in my old age, but this does not piss me off like it would have previously.  Perhaps the fact Boston traded him and he ain't what he used to be softens the blow, but of course it still sucks.  By my count, that's now 6 2004 Red Sox who have worn pinstripes.

The Red Sox now have a journey man feel which can either be great or mediocre, but in no way worse than last year's team.  Napoli's numbers will sink lower now that he doesn't have to face Red Sox pitching.

As for Hamilton to the Angels, that will be one hell of a line up.
- Doug Sarnecky