Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Barbara Kent, Silent Film Star, 103

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Barbara Kent died October 13 in Palm Desert CA; she was 103. Ms. Kent costarred with Harold Lloyd in WELCOME DANGER (1929) and FEET FIRST (1930), and with Oliver Hardy in NO MAN'S LAW (1927).

Barbara's obituary from 10/19's The New York Times.

Below are two clips from NO MAN'S LAW (1927), a Hal Roach Studios western melodrama feature she made with Oliver Hardy and James Finlayson.

Offline metaldams

Lloyd was going through a transitional phase at the time (as was Hollywood in general), but all things considered, Barbara Kent did a good job in those Lloyd films.  I think the only silent and early talkie actresses I can think of still living are Carla Laemmle (Carl Laemmle's niece and she had bit roles in PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and DRACULA), and Lupita Tovar (Mina in the Spanish DRACULA).  All are over 100 years old.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I wish someone had the means to interview these people for a book or something like they did with the last remaining slaves back in the 30's. These silent stars were there for Hollywood's infancy and I'm sure have some great stories to share before they go.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
still living are Carla Laemmle (Carl Laemmle's niece and she had bit roles in PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and DRACULA), and Lupita Tovar (Mina in the Spanish DRACULA).  All are over 100 years old.

I'm not sure if this is confirmed, but Carla is credited as one of the chorines who performed in Buster Keaton's Neptune dance routine in HOLLYWOOD REVUE OF 1929.

Carla celebrated her 102nd yesterday.

Offline falsealarms

Barbara Kent was pretty good in FEET FIRST, a very fun Lloyd talkie.

Offline metaldams

I wish someone had the means to interview these people for a book or something like they did with the last remaining slaves back in the 30's. These silent stars were there for Hollywood's infancy and I'm sure have some great stories to share before they go.

This book was made decades ago while a lot of the silent film people were still alive, but if you want a book with interviews from people of that era, you can't go wrong with Kevin Brownlow's THE PARADE'S GONE BY.  The chapter on how they made INTOLERANCE alone is worth it (obviously way to before CGI), and there's lots of other cool stuff in there as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Parades-Gone-Kevin-Brownlow/dp/0520030680/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319220846&sr=1-1
- Doug Sarnecky