Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Anyone getting this?

Offline falsealarms

CITIZEN KANE Blu-Ray hits stores tomorrow (9/13). I've never seen this movie (gasp!) but it looks like a great package. It looks like the best price is about 40.00 right now.

Offline falsealarms

http://www.slate.com/id/2303638/

... enticing. It looks like Best Buy has its own version for 29.99, perhaps without everything in the more expensive ultimate edition.

Offline metaldams

I've never seen this movie (gasp!)

You're in for a treat.  I've seen CITIZEN KANE over a dozen times and I always discover something new with each viewing.  An incredibly deep movie, but bear in mind its greatness may take a few viewings.  I didn't get the greatest of all time thing at first myself.

Tons of Stooge connections in this one too, see if you can spot 'em.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

There seems to be a lot of room for disappoint. It's easy to find people who say it's the best movie of all time, but that's a big accolade to live up to. It kind of fosters unrealistic expectations, though maybe those expectations could be met.

Offline metaldams

There seems to be a lot of room for disappoint. It's easy to find people who say it's the best movie of all time, but that's a big accolade to live up to. It kind of fosters unrealistic expectations, though maybe those expectations could be met.

Exactly, so just go into it expecting an enjoyable movie, nothing more, nothing less.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
While A Clockwork Orange may be my personal favorite, Citizen Kane probably is the all-around greatest movie of all time. It is a stunning masterpiece that everyone should see at least twice in their lifetime.

I'm impatiently awaiting a Blu-Ray release for Paper Moon myself. How that film got nothing more than a shoddy DVD release and no sign of Blu-Ray is beyond me.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline ThunderStooge

I'm not saying it's not a good movie, but why does it even need to be on Blu Ray?  It's not like they had high-def equipment to film with back then. Is there some detail on the original master that standard DVDs can't hold?  I'm sure a Blu Ray disc can hold more extras than a DVD, but that's about the only advantage for live action films made prior to high definition technology.  As far as I know, picture quality would be about the same as it would on DVD.  The sort of films that benefit most in terms of picture are animation and newer films.
"Wake up and Go ta sleep!"