Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Which Came First - Foley or Effect?

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
In watching and enjoying all these wonderful Stooge eps that are still prevalent today (although heavily interspersed with commercials) the also wonderful sound effects (the all encompassing theme of what we hear on air) is ever present. I've heard interviews from Larry in particular (and inserts from Stooge Historians) that some of the sound effects were genuine. Larry said "what you saw is what we got" which has no bearing on sound but might indicate the "save money" theme of Cohen in the era and a tendency to use genuine sound. Many, many, MANY scenes have sound effects by the dude Ed Bernds extols in  his interviews ... I think his name was (Something-or-other) Henrie - and Ed Bernds made an effort to spell his name correctly on camera. He acclaimed him as the "Unsung [person] of the Stooges".

In that vein ... is the highly acclaimed "Foley Artist" we see segments of on countless DVD movie extras when we buy/rent a flick SO important? ALL of the weird and wonderful sound we get from Stooge episodes were NEVER heard until it was viewed in theaters ... same as a frickin' foley artist?

Soo ... is the "special sound effect" or a "what you may hear naturally" sound dude the first?

(I'm always getting into BeaStooge's hair on posts like this ... maybe he will reply soon)
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
(I sincerely apologize for NOT supplying Mr. Henrie's first name ... I have recently lost the ability to view VHS tapes and Mr. Henrie's first name is only available to me on VHS)

Offline Rich Finegan

(I sincerely apologize for NOT supplying Mr. Henrie's first name ... I have recently lost the ability to view VHS tapes and Mr. Henrie's first name is only available to me on VHS)

His name is Joe Henrie.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
As General Patton once said ... "Tanks"

Offline Rich Finegan

You're welcome!

And speaking of a Foley Artist, do you know where that name came from? It was named after a busy guy who worked at Universal in the late 1920's & early 1930's: Jack Foley. Among other positions he was a director, editor, sound man, production manager, writer and composer.