Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

I have another question about Stooge 16mm film...

Offline 3Stooges

What's some of the main differences between 16mm and 8mm film? Ebay sells both formats of Stooge films. If I'm going to show the films in an average sized living room at about a 6-10 feet screen, would 8mm be good enough?

Is 16mm used for bigger rooms like an auditorium or a regular movie theater size?

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Well, for your "application" 8mm will do. But you get better quality with bigger film size, depending on the reproduction techniques used.

But you are kidding us. Right? 16mm film is an older format than 8mm, Beta, VHS, and DVD. Why buy something that is relying on antique technology? ("Oh, the damn projector bulb burned out", as my father would say. And he's almost 80!) Do they still make movie projector parts?

I don't understand, unless you have the films converted to DVD, and keep the originals in someplace fireproof, weatherproof, etc.

James

BTW. I believe 32mm and larger (IMAX) is used for auditoriums.

This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline garystooge

But you are kidding us. Right? 16mm film is an older format than 8mm, Beta, VHS, and DVD. Why buy something that is relying on antique technology?  Do they still make movie projector parts?

An earlier discussion here dealt with why some of us old-timers find 16mm to be a fun hobby. The American creed of newer, bigger, and faster just doesnt mean better for some people. That's why some people spend hours in a darkroom developing and printing their own pictures instead of going to the 1-hour photo store in the mall. Or why some people prefer the sound of LP's to CD's. Or prefer B&W Stooges to colorized Stooges, etc etc etc

Yes, you can still get all the accessories you need for 16mm projectors: spare parts, bulbs, reels, film cans and the like.

BTW, with regard to 8mm Stooges films, one thing to be careful about is that many 8mm and super 8mm films floating around are either silent versions or abridged.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
How about that? My father used to bring home 8, 16, and 32 (or 64?)mm cartoons for us kids to watch. But that was 40+ years ago!

I guess I'm not a "purist". The smell of old grease and the dusty fan keeping the projector bulb cool...

Now VHS is being phased out! I've got one stashed away because I have too many tapes! "Curly All-Nighters" from WTBS!

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!