Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Racial/racist American Past

Offline metaldams

I thought a thread about some past racial culture would be both interesting and eye opening.

I'll start with this blaxploitation trailer, "Boss Nigger."  You can buy it on DVD on amazon.com under the title, "Boss."  Yes, they've censored the word "Nigger" on the actual DVD release.  The film is from 1975, and you gotta admit, this is the catchiest theme song ever.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

If anybody can find the scene on youtube of Karloff screaming about how the Asian race will breed wih white women, please post this.  This is the best I can find on The Mask of Fu Manchu, a "yellow peril" film from MGM in 1932 (so we're talking mainstream here) with Boris Karloff as Fu Manchu and a pre-Thin man Myrna Loy as his sadistic sex crazed daughter.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

My last one to start this thread, we can't forget D.W. Griffith's "Birth of a Nation."  While a very important film and the first blockbuster ever (1915), it's also racist, and unlike the other clips I've shown, tongue nowhere near cheek.  The guy who plays Gus in this clip is Walter Long, the same Walter Long from "Three Little Pigskins," for our mandatory Stooge connection.  Of course here, he's in black face.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
This isn't a video but I thought I'd include a photo of Niggerhair Tobacco since I mentioned it in the other thread.

I've also included a photo of Coon-Chicken Inn, note the smiling, big lipped, black porter whose mouth served as the entranceway.

And here are some "commercials" for these products from the excellent mockumentary "C.S.A.: Confederate States of America" which is basically a "what if the South had won the Civil War?"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

Yes, they've censored the word "Nigger" on the actual DVD release.
On the dvd cover art or in the actual movie? I like my stuff un-cut. Thats why i'm excited about the tom & Jerry set. I dont think we should censor and cover things up. Show what it was like, and maybe it wont haven again?

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
On the dvd cover art or in the actual movie? I like my stuff un-cut. Thats why i'm excited about the tom & Jerry set. I dont think we should censor and cover things up. Show what it was like, and maybe it wont haven again?

I don't have the DVD but am very familiar with Boss Nigger being a fan of Blaxploitation flicks. Most likely they used the censored version in which the "N-word" is cut from from the title opening and muted during the theme song.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

I guess I can Google it, but I'm curious as to how long ago those Niggerhair cigarettes are from.  Unbelievable that would ever be a product...and that restaurant!

Not that it's racist, but when i went to Mexico years ago, they sold "Horse Shit Cigarettes."
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Nigger Hair (I keep forgetting it's two words) Tobacco, from what I was able to figure out when I first researched it a while back, began being sold in the 1870's and sometime in the 1920's they changed the name to Bigger Hair but otherwise kept the same packaging.

Offline ThunderStooge

I thought a thread about some past racial culture would be both interesting and eye opening.

I'll start with this blaxploitation trailer, "Boss Nigger."  You can buy it on DVD on amazon.com under the title, "Boss."  Yes, they've censored the word "Nigger" on the actual DVD release.  The film is from 1975, and you gotta admit, this is the catchiest theme song ever.

Time for an obligatory Photoshopped parody made by some chums of mine.  Anyone who has seen Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog will recognize these characterss
"Wake up and Go ta sleep!"