Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Suggestion?

Offline Curly4444

I know we have Shemps#1 topic on what music he hates, so what about one on something more positive like, "Music That Doesn't Suck"?? We seem to have alot of people on here with a real passion for music, so why not discuss the music that floats our boats?? What do you think guys & Gals?

PS: I promise i wont talk about the monkees.  [pie]

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
This is definitely not the first time someone has said "Jim/shemps#1 has Music That Sucks, why not start a thread/board that is more positive about music we like?" Sadly, I don't think it will be the last either, despite the fact that I have been neglecting MTS (quick plug: I'm working on a new "induction").

As far as threads go, there are plenty of music threads in the youtube section covering the '50s-'00s and you don't need to only post videos in those, you can discuss shit you like in those. If you disagree with a group I put in MTS you are more than free to discuss that in those threads. As far as forum, as I have said before it is not necessary and Rob has backed me up.

There are plenty of places already to push your "positive message" but keep in mind when you say "I like the Monkees" you leave yourself open to opposing viewpoints and just because I don't like the Monkees (or any other group I might not like) doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in discussing them.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

I see your point, but this could be a little more narrower in scope. The youtube section seems to be too wide/Broad in discussion. Were talking about all these bands/groups at once.  If we had it in a section like your topic, we could talk about one band/group at a time and more in-depth. 

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I see your point, but this could be a little more narrower in scope. The youtube section seems to be too wide/Broad in discussion. Were talking about all these bands/groups at once.  If we had it in a section like your topic, we could talk about one band/group at a time and more in-depth. 

Not gonna happen on my watch. If I'm reading you correctly you want a section of the forum to be dedicated to music that people like with threads devoted to an individual act. So what if someone (probably me) comes around and says "I disagree, I think they suck"? You aren't suggesting anything new: in fact someone wanted to completely rip off MTS but do so in a positive way. What for? Why is it needed? Do you know how time consuming it is to write those (which is why it's been so long since I've written one and why I haven't finished the one I am working on)? It's even more difficult to write a puff piece and make it interesting. "I like the Monkees and here's why..." YAWN.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

Not gonna happen on my watch. If I'm reading you correctly you want a section of the forum to be dedicated to music that people like with threads devoted to an individual act. So what if someone (probably me) comes around and says "I disagree, I think they suck"? You aren't suggesting anything new: in fact someone wanted to completely rip off MTS but do so in a positive way. What for? Why is it needed? Do you know how time consuming it is to write those (which is why it's been so long since I've written one and why I haven't finished the one I am working on)? It's even more difficult to write a puff piece and make it interesting. "I like the Monkees and here's why..." YAWN.
Fine, this is your guys place, was just a suggestion.

If I'm reading you correctly you want a section of the forum to be dedicated to music that people like with threads devoted to an individual act.
Yes

So what if someone (probably me) comes around and says "I disagree, I think they suck"?
That happens in the MTS also,  doesnt it?

Why is it needed?
Just thought it be fun to reminisce about our favorite bands in-depth instead of  defending them or going off on ones we hate.

Do you know how time consuming it is to write those (which is why it's been so long since I've written one and why I haven't finished the one I am working on)? It's even more difficult to write a puff piece and make it interesting.

Didn't think about that, would take a dedicated knowledge-able music aficionado. I guess this would make this suggestion a hard thing to pull off.

"I like the Monkees and here's why..." YAWN.

Hey, i said there would be no monkee talk.  :laugh:

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Quad 4's, I like you because unlike so many others that have come and gone around here you know how to roll with the punches. Seeing as though we disagree on about 95% of all topics that have been discussed here you've done a lot of punch rolling.

MTS is many things but most of all it is very tongue-in-cheek. Do I think the music I discuss there is bad? Yes I do. Do I think anybody who enjoys the music I talk about should be disallowed to listen to music entirely? No I do not. Naturally I get a lot of people who disagree with me: some get all pissy and offended as in "who the hell are you to knock Michael Jackson/Bee Gees/Springsteen/KISS" etc. and these are people with no sense of humor whatsoever that take themselves and their music tastes too seriously. Then there are the people who disagree with my opinion and also compliment me. These are the people who actually get it and do understand that beneath it all it is only my opinion and when someone says "I like X but that was well written and funny" they pay me the highest compliment.

I started MTS a long time ago (even before the posted dates on the threads because Moronika.com used to be a different site entirely and was once home to MTS, some of the inductions got lost in transition) and I did for a couple of reasons. One was to sharpen my writing skills and another was because I looked through the Internet and found untold amounts of fan sites and very little "this band sucks" sites. I also wanted to fill a void. There is no void to be filled in regards to music that you like: the Monkees thread has gotten responses from many tone deaf people defending them from my "vicious" attacks.

Look at it this way: I have a prerequisite who induction into MTS. For a normal (non-special) induction an act needs at least 3 hit songs; so if I am inducting them into MTS they must have done something right.