Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

RAFTER ROMANCE (1933)

Offline falsealarms

Odds are you've never seen this movie, but I was very pleasantly surprised by it. If it hadn't been in seclusion for so long, I have to think it would have a much better legacy than it does. A fun little movie with a great performance by Ginger Rogers. The male lead, Norman Foster, was new to me but he came across as rather pleasant. Minor Stooge connections include Guinn "Big Boy" Williams (PLEASED TO MITT YOU) and June Gittleson (FALSE ALARMS). Bud Jamison is also credited on IMDB, but I didn't spot him. Humorist Robert Benchley has a prominent role.

From Wikipedia -

"Merian C. Cooper accused RKO of not paying him all the money contractually due for the films he produced in the 1930s. A settlement was reached in 1946, giving Cooper complete ownership of six RKO titles: Rafter Romance, Double Harness (1933) with Ann Harding and William Powell, The Right to Romance (1933), One Man's Journey (1933) with Lionel Barrymore, Living on Love (1937), and A Man to Remember (1938). According to an interview with a retired RKO executive, Cooper withdrew the films, only allowing them to be shown on television in 1955-1956 in New York City. In 2007 the films were shown at the Film Forum in New York, and Turner Classic Movies, which had acquired the rights to the six films after extensive legal negotiations, broadcast them, their first full public exhibition in over 70 years. TCM, in association with the Library of Congress and the Brigham Young University Motion Picture Archive, had searched many film archives throughout the world to find copies of the films in order to create new 35mm prints."

Someone else uploaded the film to YouTube in various parts, watch here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEFCEA4790F393EF6

Offline Rich Finegan

That info from Wikipedia is innacurate.
The title THE RIGHT TO ROMANCE was not part of that deal. The sixth film was STINGAREE (1934) starring Irene Dunne and Richard Dix.

Offline JazzBill

Odds are you've never seen this movie, but I was very pleasantly surprised by it. If it hadn't been in seclusion for so long, I have to think it would have a much better legacy than it does. A fun little movie with a great performance by Ginger Rogers. The male lead, Norman Foster, was new to me but he came across as rather pleasant. Minor Stooge connections include Guinn "Big Boy" Williams (PLEASED TO MITT YOU) and June Gittleson (FALSE ALARMS). Bud Jamison is also credited on IMDB, but I didn't spot him. Humorist Robert Benchley has a prominent role.

From Wikipedia -

"Merian C. Cooper accused RKO of not paying him all the money contractually due for the films he produced in the 1930s. A settlement was reached in 1946, giving Cooper complete ownership of six RKO titles: Rafter Romance, Double Harness (1933) with Ann Harding and William Powell, The Right to Romance (1933), One Man's Journey (1933) with Lionel Barrymore, Living on Love (1937), and A Man to Remember (1938). According to an interview with a retired RKO executive, Cooper withdrew the films, only allowing them to be shown on television in 1955-1956 in New York City. In 2007 the films were shown at the Film Forum in New York, and Turner Classic Movies, which had acquired the rights to the six films after extensive legal negotiations, broadcast them, their first full public exhibition in over 70 years. TCM, in association with the Library of Congress and the Brigham Young University Motion Picture Archive, had searched many film archives throughout the world to find copies of the films in order to create new 35mm prints."

Someone else uploaded the film to YouTube in various parts, watch here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEFCEA4790F393EF6

I watched it and liked it. Bud Jamison was Morton, the guy that won the fat mans race at the picnic. It was on clip 7. Thanks for posting it.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".