Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Star Wars Blu-Ray

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I picked up the Star Wars Blu-Ray set at Wal-Mart yesterday for $80, which is a pretty sweet deal considering you get all six movies and three discs worth of bonus material. The packaging is neat too, it's designed like a book with a disc on each page. So far I have only watched Phantom Menace (this is the first time I will be watching all of the movies as Lucas wants you too) and while the movie itself is not good the HD transfer looked excellent. It'll be interesting to see how the original trilogy transferred over.

There has been a lot of whining by fanboys about some changes (like Vader shouting "NOOOO" as he takes care of Palpatine in Jedi) and while I agree that these changes are not necessary they aren't the end of the world either. If you don't want either the Original Trilogy or the Prequel Trilogy they do offer separate sets of each for $40 each (but no bonus discs with those). For reference the Complete Saga is current #1 on Amazon in Movies/TV, the Original Trilogy is #23 and the Prequel Trilogy is #175. I was strongly considering getting just the Original Trilogy but the bonus materials sucked me in to the Complete Saga.

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

I got mine at Target yesterday, and also got some bonus lithographs with my $79.99 purchase. Haven't opened mine yet, hows the packaging Shemps#1? That book packaging crap looks like it could scratch the discs? Are the discs secured in a holder like a normal blu-ray or are they sliding around loosely in some paper sleeve?

I'm not one of those fan-boy's that get all worked up over the littlest change to the original movies. I liked the special edition versions, and thought the added special effects were cool. The newest changes don't bother me also. They weren't needed though, and should have been left out. I do agree with the fan-boys on one thing. With all the discs in this set, and it being blu-ray, they should have put the theatrical versions in this set also.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The "pages" contain little pockets for the discs and they sit in there nice and snug. Blu-Ray discs are a lot more durable and scratch resistant than DVDs so unless you plan on being rough with them they should not get scratched.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Justin T

Once I finally get a BluRay player, this is probably going to be the first thing I buy. Its the extras that are deal breaker for me, especially all the deleted scenes from the Original Trilogy.

Maybe I'll ask for both as Christmas gifts this year.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Curly4444

Once I finally get a BluRay player, this is probably going to be the first thing I buy. Its the extras that are deal breaker for me, especially all the deleted scenes from the Original Trilogy.

Maybe I'll ask for both as Christmas gifts this year.

Get the set now and the blu-ray player for Christmas, cause this thing will cost a fortune after the launch. I think it will be about $99-$110.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
It lists for $139.99.

Offline Curly4444

It lists for $139.99.
Yeah, but most places sell it under the retail MSRP list price. All movies are usually way under the MSRP, its just this set wont be $79.99 unless there another super sale.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yeah, but most places sell it under the retail MSRP list price. All movies are usually way under the MSRP, its just this set wont be $79.99 unless there another super sale.

Obviously you've never been to an FYE, lol. Right now they are selling it for $94.99 and I expect it will jump to the MSRP in due time. Amazon and the like will probably have it for $120-ish.

Offline Curly4444

Obviously you've never been to an FYE, lol. Right now they are selling it for $94.99 and I expect it will jump to the MSRP in due time. Amazon and the like will probably have it for $120-ish.
No, i haven't(had to google it). Why would anybody buy shit from them crooks?  Amazon i think will sell it for 20% off MSRP, so i think it will be in the $110's. Anyhow your a knumbskull if you don't get it now why its cheap.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
No, i haven't(had to google it). Why would anybody buy shit from them crooks?  Amazon i think will sell it for 20% off MSRP, so i think it will be in the $110's. Anyhow your a knumbskull if you don't get it now why its cheap.

Not just cheap...dirt cheap! I still find it hard to believe I got all 6 Star Wars films on Blu-Ray plus a metric fuckton of extras for only $80.

I also have to mention that the name of the first movie is and always will be "Star Wars", not "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope". That shit has always irked me.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I should note that FYE is good for DVD/Blu-Ray that has been out for awhile and is no longer carried by Wal-Mart...and you don't have a credit card to shop online with. It should be used as a very last resort.

Offline Curly4444

I should note that FYE is good for DVD/Blu-Ray that has been out for awhile and is no longer carried by Wal-Mart...and you don't have a credit card to shop online with. It should be used as a very last resort.

If i cant find a movie on amazon, Wal-Mart, etc., I can usually find it on e-bay or amazon market place. You have to make sure the seller has a good rating and its legit, but you can find some cheap out of print/RARE stuff.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I watched Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars (original movie) today. The older movie looked great as well despite being a little lesser in visual quality obviously due to its age. What was more striking to me however was how much better Star Wars is to Sith, which is the best of the prequels.

Offline Curly4444

I watched Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars (original movie) today. The older movie looked great as well despite being a little lesser in visual quality obviously due to its age. What was more striking to me however was how much better Star Wars is to Sith, which is the best of the prequels.

I just wish that dam Lucas would do episodes 7, 8, and 9, and make them darker and edgier like batman dark knight. I'm surprised you liked Star Wars that much, as some criticize it for being too campy and acted bad.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I just wish that dam Lucas would do episodes 7, 8, and 9, and make them darker and edgier like batman dark knight. I'm surprised you liked Star Wars that much, as some criticize it for being too campy and acted bad.

Actually Star Wars is anything but campy and the acting in the Original Trilogy is well done. I always loved Darth Vader, he was an incredible bad ass and I rooted for him all of the time (Empire is my favorite Star Wars film for many reasons, but a big one is because *SPOILER FOR THOSE LIVING UNDER A ROCK* Vader comes out on top). I had Empire Strikes Back bedsheets growing up and the first movie I remember going to see at the theater is Return of the Jedi. Star Wars and Empire are two of the best films I have ever seen and Empire might be the best sequel.

Offline Faeriegirl

• Shemp's Darling Dilly
  • Grapehead
  • Dreaming of Shemp
    • I Surf for the Freedom!!
I have a family member who is a die hard SW fan, and when I informed his family of the two trilogies coming to BRD my brother emailed me saying their new desktop computer has Blu Ray player, and that Danny, the die hard SW fan, was super excited, they put the saga on order at target for instore pick up on day of release as a early christmas gift for him. My brother said he'd never seen Danny that excited about anything before.
Shemp: Moe! Larry! Wait for me!! *hits himself with shovel*
~ Who Done It?

Offline Seamus

Actually Star Wars is anything but campy and the acting in the Original Trilogy is well done. I always loved Darth Vader, he was an incredible bad ass and I rooted for him all of the time (Empire is my favorite Star Wars film for many reasons, but a big one is because *SPOILER FOR THOSE LIVING UNDER A ROCK* Vader comes out on top). I had Empire Strikes Back bedsheets growing up and the first movie I remember going to see at the theater is Return of the Jedi. Star Wars and Empire are two of the best films I have ever seen and Empire might be the best sequel.

My interest in Star Wars didn't survive childhood, but loved the movies and amassed a few of the action figures as a kid (I got a lot of mileage out of the Jabba the Hutt playset).  I've got a foggy early memory of seeing the trailer for the original film at my local drive-in as a tot, but can't remember seeing the actual movie.  I clearly remember seeing Jedi though, because a friend of mine had warned me that Vader gets unmasked in that one during the lightsaber fight, and I kept averting my eyes during those scenes because I'd envisioned a sudden horrifying reveal of Vader's deformed face in mid-fight, and I was afraid the scare would be too much for my little kiddie bladder (turns out I missed most of the duel scenes for nothing, since they eased us into the reveal gradually).

Empire is easily the best of the bunch, and I think Irvin Kershner deserves a lot of the credit for his more adult direction.  But overall I can't muster up much enthusiasm for the franchise these days.

Offline metaldams

the first movie I remember going to see at the theater is Return of the Jedi.

I saw it too, I was 4 1/2 years old, but I also saw E.T. first run before that.

Been years since I've seen any of the Star Wars movies, but I'm due for a fresh viewing.  I only saw the three prequels on their original theater run and the three originals a zillion times as a kid, but not much since.  I had all the figures as a kid, but of course my Mom sold them for cheap at a garage sale.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

I saw Return of the Jedi when it came out in theaters too, I was only 5 at the time but my parents took me to see it and I loved it. It was the first Star Wars movie I watched, then I got to see SW and Empire on HBO many many times growing up after that.

I had the toys, shirts and all kinds of stuff. I got the Rancor for Christmas and had many fun times making it attack and eat my action figures.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Seamus

I had the toys, shirts and all kinds of stuff. I got the Rancor for Christmas and had many fun times making it attack and eat my action figures.

The Rancor toy was pretty cheaply made in hindsight - lightweight hollow plastic mold with ineffectual spring-loaded arm "action" - but the claws were shaped perfectly for holding the black-clad Jedi-era Luke Skywalker figure and raising it to the lever-action jaws.