Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Monkees

Offline archiezappa

I was wondering how many of you Stooge fans are also fans of The Monkees?  I think it's interesting that The Monkees was filmed at the same studios as The Three Stooges.  They even used several of the old sets and props.  Interesting how those things can show up again like that.  I enjoy scrutinizing The Monkees that way, by pointing out things that were in Stooge shorts. 

Also, the fact that The Monkees had a similar kind of humor, too.  Still very enjoyable.

Offline Curly4444

I enjoyed them in reruns when i was a kid. Loved the music and silly humor. Haven't seen them as an adult. Are they sill on?

Not really a fan, but find the movie HEAD interesting, and own a copy of the soundtrack.

For some reason, I react about the same when I hear someone criticize the Monkees as when someone knocks Joe Besser: I know the criticism is probably accurate and yet it seems annoyingly unfair at the same time. I guess it's because both the Monkees & Besser had such large disadvantages, while trying to make the best of it all, that to criticize them seems pointless & too easy.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline Lefty

I enjoyed them in reruns when i was a kid. Loved the music and silly humor. Haven't seen them as an adult. Are they sill on?

Yes, Antenna TV shows them Saturdays and Sundays from 3:00 to 4:00 Eastern time.

Offline middlenamewayne

I enjoyed them in reruns when i was a kid.  Are they still on?

The last actual new Monkees episode that aired in this world was #781 in 1997, but at one point during the program, Mike explained that shows like the Monkees, I Love Lucy, etc. never really get cancelled -- they go on forever and it's only a matter of figuring out how to tune them in. As far as the Monkees themselves, their most recent TV appearance was on the Today Show a couple of weeks back, with Micky, Davy, and Peter performing with Al Roker in a wool hat and horrible polyester clothing.

Offline archiezappa

I'm just glad that the Monkees DVDs of the TV series are being reissued this month at more reasonable prices.

Offline Curly4444

I'm just glad that the Monkees DVDs of the TV series are being reissued this month at more reasonable prices.

No monkee business this time huh??  :laugh: [pie] I guess they're not monkee-ing around anymore?  >:D

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Not really a fan, but find the movie HEAD interesting, and own a copy of the soundtrack.

For some reason, I react about the same when I hear someone criticize the Monkees as when someone knocks Joe Besser: I know the criticism is probably accurate and yet it seems annoyingly unfair at the same time. I guess it's because both the Monkees & Besser had such large disadvantages, while trying to make the best of it all, that to criticize them seems pointless & too easy.

Disadvantages? What "disadvantages" did a "rock group" that was created by TV executives for the sole purpose of ripping off the Beatles have?

Let's look at the facts in regards to these hacks:

1. The Beatles were getting more "experimental" in their music and were leaving a hole in the pre-teen bubble gum scene. The Monkees were created to fill that hole.

2. Everything about the Monkees reeks of ripping off the Beatles pre-Rubber Soul. From their mannerisms on the show to the multiple singers...everything.

3. The Monkees did not even play their own instruments at first: they learned to do so only after getting together for the show and after having become a hit. Oh, and don't try to start with "Mike and Peter could play..." because 99.99% of the time when a band gets big all of them know how to play their fucking instruments.

It may be easy to criticize the Monkees, but it is in no way pointless. The television show was beyond awful and the music wasn't much better. The Monkees suck and never should be brought up in a serious musical discussion with the exception to mock and criticize. Each and every day Peter, Davy, Mike and Micky should knock on the doors of Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr and offer to suck them off in gratitude for the Beatles giving the Monkees their careers.

Fuck the Monkees.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

Yeah, sure they weren't the Beatles and weren't really real musicians, but they were entertaining to some(Me included). A few of the songs were really catchy. Id rather watch them than watch those boring Beatles movies. I love the Beatles to death, but the movies sucked.

Offline metaldams

2. Everything about the Monkees reeks of ripping off the Beatles pre-Rubber Soul.

Simply not true.  "Last Train to Clarksville" rips off "Paperback Writer."   >:D
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yeah, sure they weren't the Beatles and weren't really real musicians, but they were entertaining to some(Me included). A few of the songs were really catchy. Id rather watch them than watch those boring Beatles movies. I love the Beatles to death, but the movies sucked.

Yeah the movies are not good, but neither is the Monkees TV show. At least the Beatles movies had much better music.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Grew up on the Monkees, have original copies of all the albums, singles and EP's that they made; {excellent condition}.  At the time I was a Monkees junky.  For some reason I liked the Monkees music and in my personal opinion hated the Beatles which I also grew up on.

Moron4392

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Grew up on the Monkees, have original copies of all the albums, singles and EP's that they made; {excellent condition}.  At the time I was a Monkees junky.  For some reason I liked the Monkees music and in my personal opinion hated the Beatles which I also grew up on.

Moron4392

Well Diane, at the ThreeStooges.net Office Party you will not be allowed to pick the music, that's for sure. I'm guessing you were "music age" around the time when the Beatles were drugged out and the Monkees first came around stealing the Beatles' old act. The Monkees were aimed specifically at you and your demographic, so it's understandable that you were a fan. However the Monkees and their music have not withstood the test of time and they are mostly regarded as a joke (rightfully so).

As many problems as I have with the Rock & Roll HOF they do give me solace with their anti-Monkees stance. The Monkees were a manufactured group: a bunch of actors pretending to be musicians and nothing more.

Offline Curly4444

Ah, come on shemps#1, whats wrong with "Daydream Believer" and "Hey Hey Were The Monkees".? I heard Daydream believer on the radio today, so what were you saying about "their music have not withstood the test of time"?

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Ah, come on shemps#1, whats wrong with "Daydream Believer" and "Hey Hey Were The Monkees".? I heard Daydream believer on the radio today, so what were you saying about "their music have not withstood the test of time"?

What's wrong with them is they are awful songs performed by a group of actors playing the role of musicians. Have you noticed the state of Terrestrial Radio these days? Saying "Daydream Believer" played on your local oldies station is not high praise.

The Monkees are a sad joke and their "best" song (oxymoron) doesn't compare to John Lennon and Paul McCartney farting into a microphone with Yoko and Linda on backup queefs. They are mainly regarded and recognized as the joke that they were and hopefully will NEVER make it to the HOF.

Offline Curly4444

What's wrong with them is they are awful songs

Thats just your opinion, not everyone hates them(See the members above) or they wouldn't be played at all. I would never compare the monkees to the Beatles, they aren't in the Beatles league or even close. That don't mean i can't enjoy a few of the monkees songs.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Thats just your opinion, not everyone hates them(See the members above) or they wouldn't be played at all. I would never compare the monkees to the Beatles, they aren't in the Beatles league or even close. That don't mean i can't enjoy a few of the monkees songs.

Of course it's my opinion, you asked me! If you don't want my opinion then don't ask for it. It's not "just" my opinion either, there are many people who would agree with me. The Monkees get compared to the Beatles for a simple reason: they ripped the Beatles off. I'm not trying to impede your enjoyment of terrible music such as the Monkees, but like I said in the umpteenth "can we have an opposite to Music That Sucks" thread you leave yourself open to differing opinions, such as mine.

Offline Curly4444

Of course it's my opinion, you asked me! If you don't want my opinion then don't ask for it. It's not "just" my opinion either, there are many people who would agree with me. The Monkees get compared to the Beatles for a simple reason: they ripped the Beatles off. I'm not trying to impede your enjoyment of terrible music such as the Monkees, but like I said in the umpteenth "can we have an opposite to Music That Sucks" thread you leave yourself open to differing opinions, such as mine.
OK, cool.

Its just there are a few us out there that grew up with the monkee's, and still like a few of their song. I know there are a bunch of ppl that dont like them, that's cool, its their opinion. I'm not a card carrying member of the monkees fan club, i just enjoy some of their songs.

Offline FineBari3

I discovered The Monkees and The Three Stooges in the same afternoon, on the same TV channel, back in 1978.  I love them both!

So what if they are bubblegum?  So what if they were riding on The Beatles coat tails?  Their music and silly TV show make me smile.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline metaldams

So what if they are bubblegum?  So what if they were riding on The Beatles coat tails?  Their music and silly TV show make me smile.

While this does not apply for me specifically with the Monkees, the older I get, the more wisdom I see in these words.  As long as it makes me smile, that's all that counts.  At the end of the day, it's supposed to be entertainment.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

While this does not apply for me specifically with the Monkees, the older I get, the more wisdom I see in these words.  As long as it makes me smile, that's all that counts.  At the end of the day, it's supposed to be entertainment.

Exactly. Thats all music and TV is suppose to do. If it makes me feel good, or gets me going, or entertains me, thats all that counts. They ripped the Beatles off, so what, i bet alot of others did also.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Exactly. Thats all music and TV is suppose to do. If it makes me feel good, or gets me going, or entertains me, thats all that counts. They ripped the Beatles off, so what, i bet alot of others did also.

Hold the phone here! What a bunch of mamby-pamby bullshit. I don't even know where to start on how wrong those three sentences are.

I recently heard a "song" by Jay-Z and Kanye West with Otis Redding. Yes, the Otis Redding that has been dead since 1967. They "sampled" (more like ripped off) Otis singing Try A Little Tenderness, rapped along side it, called the "song" Otis and had the balls to credit the song "Jay-Z and Kanye West, featuring Otis Redding". I'm sure there are idiots who actually like this song and don't mind the fact that Misters Z and West dug up Redding's rotted corpse and raped it without lube. I'm sure it entertains them and puts smiles on their faces and makes them shit gumdrops, fart rainbows and piss Coca-Cola...all that feel good shit. That doesn't make it right.

I don't care if Davy Jones himself comes to your door and gives you $50 and a hand job everytime you listen to Monkees song and ups it to $100 and a blow job everytime you watch the insipid show: it doesn't make the fact that they were a bunch of actors ripping off the Beatles right.

Offline middlenamewayne

Let's look at the facts in regards to these hacks:

I thought you only dealt in opinions...?

1. The Beatles were getting more "experimental" in their music and were leaving a hole in the pre-teen bubble gum scene. The Monkees were created to fill that hole.

Obviously the Monkees TV show was created to capitalize on the success of the Fabs' jovial characters in their "zany romp"-filled movies. Bob Rafelson could've saved some money by just turning in a copy of A Hard Day's Night and telling the execs that it was the series' pilot episode. However, the hole-filling thing doesn't really seem right to me -- they were also created as a record-sales cash cow, and the formula for that at the time was "do exactly what the Beatles started doing last week"; anyone saying they wanted to do the opposite would be out of the biz in a Brill Building Minute!

2. Everything about the Monkees reeks of ripping off the Beatles pre-Rubber Soul. From their mannerisms on the show to the multiple singers...everything.

That was precisely the TV producers' goal. Musically, though, I don't see how anyone can say they even tried to ape JPG&R. Aside from a very few specific examples (that Clarksville riff, Davy's awful "The Poster" in which he clearly was trying to rewrite "Mr. Kite"), the Monkees' songs never sounded remotely like the Beatles'. Apart from Jones' accent, there was nothing even British about their sound!

3. The Monkees did not even play their own instruments at first: they learned to do so only after getting together for the show and after having become a hit. Oh, and don't try to start with "Mike and Peter could play..." because 99.99% of the time when a band gets big all of them know how to play their fucking instruments.

First off, as Mike told me during a break from rehearsing for the Monkees '97 UK tour, "Can you believe there are still morons out there spewing that bullshit about us 'playing our own instruments'. Well, a-hole, this is my guitar, those are Micky's drums -- who the f*ck's instruments do you think we've been playing!" Second, 99.99% is probably a good guess as to the percentage of pop/rock bands on the radio in 1966 who didn't play on their own recordings! I can guarantee a few specific ones... Paul Revere & the Raiders, Mamas & Papas, Strawberry Alarm Clock all come to mind off the top of my head.

Most of the bands were pissed off about it, too, but the record companies weren't about to waste valuable studio time on young, untried kids when they had a corral full of fast, tight, dependable studio-savvy guys ready to jump in at the drop of a hat! Unless people were buying your records because of your playing style, a la Hendrix, Yardbirds, Stones, etc., you were expected to stay out of the way until the call came for adding vocals to your songs... assuming they hadn't demanded that all your A-sides got penned by one of their songwriting "ringers". What happened was that Nesmith told the press about their situation, and neglected to add that a whole mess of major label acts were in the same boat as the Monkees were.

It may be easy to criticize the Monkees, but it is in no way pointless. The television show was beyond awful and the music wasn't much better.

The music was no different than every successful pop act in the era BB (Before Beatles). Like Elvis, Sinatra, Jolson, etc., a Monkees album involved assembling some of the country's greatest songwriters (Harry Nilsson, Michael Martin Murphy, John Stewart, Neil Diamond, Louise Goffin, Carole King, Carole Bayer Sager, Holland/Dozier/Holland, etc.) and having some of the planet's best instrumentalists play them. Duh, winning?!?

The TV series mostly got old real fast, due to a horrible sameness from one episode to the next. In fact, the reason there was no season 3 was that at the end of season 2 the Monkees announced to the executives at Screen Gems/NBC-TV that they wouldn't sign up unless there were some major changes made -- and in reply, the executives at Screen Gems/NBC-TV said...

Fuck the Monkees.
Exactly!

-- mnw

PS: Here's a sad coincidence/comparison: The Monkees' final production as a complete group before their self-destruction in 1970 was the hour-long special "33 & 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee". This disjointed piece of... something... drags on and on with little plot, lots and lots of filler that doesn't even feature any of the members of the group, and was seen by almost noone at the time of its release. Also, thanks to its nonexistent budget and equally absent care in preservation, the official DVD release of the show suffers from truly wretched video quality and frankly piss-poor audio. Remind you of another swan-song production that was in production at around the same time? ("Kook's Tour", anyone???)

Offline Curly4444

That doesn't make it right.

I don't care if Davy Jones himself comes to your door and gives you $50 and a hand job everytime you listen to Monkees song and ups it to $100 and a blow job everytime you watch the insipid show: it doesn't make the fact that they were a bunch of actors ripping off the Beatles right.

I don't sit down and take a morality test every time i listen to a song. I still watch Michael Vick play even though i think personally he is a piece of shit.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
MNW: I'm not reading all of that shit. That's way too verbose in defending the fuckin' Monkees against one man's dislike for them. It's a well-known fact that Dolenz did not know how to play drums when the Monkees were formed and therefore they could not play their own instruments.

Quad 4's: Perhaps you should. It's people like who say something like "Chris Benoit (wrestler who killed his wife and child before killing himself) should be remembered for his "great wrestling ability".