Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Any Seinfeld fans?

Offline falsealarms

I wasn't living under a rock, but until this week, I never saw a single episode of Seinfeld. Not one. It's only what some outlets (TV Guide for one) consider the greatest television show of all-time. I never saw it during its original TV run -- I was just shy of my 4th birthday when Seinfeld began (7/89) and 12 years old when it ended (5/98). Not exactly the target age group. Unlike a lot of other shows before my time, I never sought Seinfeld out via re-runs. But on a blind buy, I picked up a few seasons of it on DVD. At 7.99 a season (JR.com), I couldn’t go wrong. And these DVDs, which are uncut, are loaded with extras and come wonderfully packaged.

I've seen the first six or seven episodes. I have to say it's a pretty good show. I haven’t seen anything (yet) that makes me agree it’s in the mix for being best ever, but it seems like most people think this show didn’t hit its stride until at least season three. Early on, I'd say Elaine is the character that holds the show together. I really liked Julia Louis Dreyfuss in her more recent show, THE NEW ADVENTURES OF THE OLD CHRISTINE.

What are your favorite Seinfeld seasons and/or episodes?

Offline metaldams

I wasn't living under a rock, but until this week, I never saw a single episode of Seinfeld. Not one. It's only what some outlets (TV Guide for one) consider the greatest television show of all-time. I never saw it during its original TV run -- I was just shy of my 4th birthday when Seinfeld began (7/89) and 12 years old when it ended (5/98). Not exactly the target age group. Unlike a lot of other shows before my time, I never sought Seinfeld out via re-runs. But on a blind buy, I picked up a few seasons of it on DVD. At 7.99 a season (JR.com), I couldn’t go wrong. And these DVDs, which are uncut, are loaded with extras and come wonderfully packaged.

I've seen the first six or seven episodes. I have to say it's a pretty good show. I haven’t seen anything (yet) that makes me agree it’s in the mix for being best ever, but it seems like most people think this show didn’t hit its stride until at least season three. Early on, I'd say Elaine is the character that holds the show together. I really liked Julia Louis Dreyfuss in her more recent show, THE NEW ADVENTURES OF THE OLD CHRISTINE.

I absolutely love Seinfeld but never felt the need to own episodes on DVD because they're always on TV.  I used to watch Seinfeld when I was in high school as well along with Frasier, that was when those shows were initially airing.

My favorite episodes?  Oh geez, the soup Nazi, sponge worthy, the marble rye one, the Keith Hernandez episode, stopping short, Mrs. Costanza catching George masturbating.......I could go an all day.  My favorite characters are George Costanza's parents.  They have the same chemistry as my parents, and my brother and I have been teasing them for years about it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

PS:  if you're starting from the beginning, the show does hit it stride a few seasons in, as do most shows, so be patient.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Seamus

Seinfeld seems like a show I'd love if I ever bothered to start watching it, but I've completely missed out on it so far.  I feel like I'm making my way to it backwards, because I recently started digging into its meta-spin-off show,  Curb Your Enthusiasm.  One of the funniest shows ever.  The comedy situations are very Seinfeldian, but it's presented in a totally different way - no laugh track, more realistic production (a la The Office) - and has Larry David (the writer for Seinfeld) playing himself, always at the epicenter of the social chaos that's generated in every episode.  Great stuff.  Just finished off season two, so looking forward to a lot more.

Offline falsealarms

I am starting from the beginning. I figured that would be best as opposed to starting later on and maybe not getting/missing earlier references. I haven't seen an episode with Costanza's parents yet. Yeah, they're on TV a lot, but seeing them uncut is a plus (and there really are a TON of quality extras on these). The only two episodes I had even heard of beforehand was the Soup Nazi one (someone in my fantasy baseball league named his team with a reference to that) and the Keith Hernandez appearance. I have seasons 1-5, but season 7 is tempting (Soup Nazi, Sponge Worthy, among others). It seems like 4, 5, and 7 most frequently get labeled the series' best.

I haven't gotten to this season 2 episode yet, but stumbled onto this clip on YouTube.... love how Elaine says ""Movie hot dogs? I'd rather lick the food off the floor."

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I know Seinfeld was a well-written sitcom but I just find Jerry Seinfeld to be very pretentious. He's one of those who is "too good to work blue" when in reality there are many stand-ups like Carlin, Pryor, Bruce, Kinison etc. that worked blue and quite frankly were funnier than Seinfeld could dream of being. I just never understood that mindset, which is shared by the likes of Bill Cosby.

I love language: and the English language is the greatest and most complex of them all. I have no issue with comics who do not use foul language and do not feel that foul language is needed to be funny. Some comedians I've heard (especially younger ones) tend to use it as a crutch. With that said I don't think you need to try to prop yourself up by pointing out that you don't swear and making a big deal of it. Funny is funny and you don't get bonus points for working clean.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Lefty

Jerry Seinfeld is Jewish, he shares my birthday, so that's reason enough to be a fan.  I watched his show starting in 1992, I think, and I enjoyed it up until the final season.  And I did like his standup routine, not needing to use 4-letter words or graphic gestures.

"No soup for you, because you are the master of your puffy-shirt domain."

Offline Curly4444

PS:  if you're starting from the beginning, the show does hit it stride a few seasons in, as do most shows, so be patient.

This is so true. The first season is not near as funny as the other seasons. In season 2 it picks up, and stays that way to the end.

I like the episode where they go to the Hamptons. You know the shrinkage episode. lol

Jerry, George Costanza: Elaine!
Jerry: Do women know about shrinkage?
Elaine: What do you mean like laundry?
Jerry: No, like when a man goes swimming afterwards.
Elaine: It shrinks?
Jerry: Like a frightened turtle!
Elaine: Why does it shrink?
George Costanza: It just does.
Elaine: I don't know how you guys walk around with those things.

xraffle

I work near J&R and go there every week during my lunch break. I saw that sale on "Seinfeld." I was going to bite, but then I saw the "I Dream of Jeannie" seasons for $10.99 each and the "Sanford & Son" Complete Series for $23.99. I'm a sucker for classic comedies, so I chose those instead. Besides, "Seinfeld" is syndicated on TV several times a day anyway. So I can still catch it on TV.

Offline Curly4444

"Sanford & Son" Complete Series for $23.99.
136 episodes for $23.99? How good would the quality be on that? Was it some un-heard of studio?

xraffle

136 episodes for $23.99? How good would the quality be on that? Was it some un-heard of studio?

This is what I bought...
http://www.amazon.com/Sanford-Son-Complete-Slim-Packaging/dp/B001DSNEME/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1316979233&sr=1-1

It's $27.40 at Amazon right now. The studio is Sony, just like The Three Stooges DVDs. J&R doesn't sell bootlegs.

There's one catch though. The packaging sucks! It's basically 17 discs stacked like pancakes on a cheap plastic spindle. I checked all the discs when I got home and none of them were scratched, thankfully. I had a bunch of slim jewel cases at home that I never used, so I quickly transferred all the discs to those cases. I haven't had a chance to watch these episodes yet as I've been so busy. Hopefully, I'll have time in a month or two to sit down and watch these. Should be fun!!

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

I hope that all you people posting about Seinfeld on this site remember this exchange between Jerry and his sexy, foreign neighbor Gina, whose boyfriend is in a coma following a suicide attempt (season 3, "The Suicide"):

GINA: Let me ask you. What will you do if Martín wakes up? Run away like a mouse?

JERRY: No, more like the Three Stooges at the end of every movie.

GINA: Who are these Stooges you speak of?

JERRY: They’re a comedy team.

GINA: Tell me about them. Everything.

JERRY: Well, they’re three kind-of funny-looking guys and they hit each other a lot.

GINA: You will show me the Stooges?

JERRY: I will show you the Stooges.

GINA: When?

JERRY: Well, I don’t really know where the Stooges are right now, but if I locate them, you will be the first to know.

Offline Curly4444

It's $27.40 at Amazon right now. The studio is Sony, just like The Three Stooges DVDs. J&R doesn't sell bootlegs.

There's one catch though. The packaging sucks! It's basically 17 discs stacked like pancakes on a cheap plastic spindle. I checked all the discs when I got home and none of them were scratched, thankfully. I had a bunch of slim jewel cases at home that I never used, so I quickly transferred all the discs to those cases. I haven't had a chance to watch these episodes yet as I've been so busy. Hopefully, I'll have time in a month or two to sit down and watch these. Should be fun!!

Good deal then. I guess they figured this is the only way people would buy them? Ive done that before on bad packaging. I have a bunch of blank regular dvd cases i use for just that situation.

Offline falsealarms

I saw THE BUSBOY (season 2) tonight. That's the best one I've seen so far. You don't see the fight at the end between Elaine's boyfriend and the busboy, but because it's so well written, it's hilarious. Here's a good Elaine scene from that episode - she oversleeps and frantically tries to get her annoying boyfriend out the door so he can make his flight out of town. On one of the disc extras, she looks back and gives herself a B- for the scene.

Seinfeld definitely let his co-stars have this episode.

Offline Bruckman

• Musclehead, juice addict, synthol abuser, and Booby Dupe
  • Birdbrain

Started watching about 1992 (2nd season I guess) and like most everyone else here I still watch it from time to time; never been off air long enough for me to be interested in getting the episodes on DVD.

Favorite episodes: all of the ones Metaldams mentioned, the Chinese restaurant that's like something out of Sartre's "No Exit", the movie theater George keeps getting locked out of, Puddy painting himself up for a New Jersey Devils game, George getting sent to Cuba by Steinbrenner for baseball prospects only to find Castro is basically another Steinbrenner, Jerry and the bad haircut, the subway episode where George meets a lovely woman who ends up chanining him to a bed in his underwear, Jerry running afoul of a passive-aggressive doorman, George and the Russian fur hat he uses to gain re-entry to a girl's apartment and when he can't Elaine's forced into going to Burma to locate Mr. Peterman, George and Jerry trying to entertain Elaine's father (a tough guy novelist supposedly based on Richard Yates), etc. etc. The last named has a Stooges reference in it: George says they have to get away from this lunatic, Jerry asks how, George says "We'll tell him we're frightened and we have to leave!" Jerry responds "Are you kidding? He'll clunk our heads together like Moe!"

Absolutely love George's parents. I think everyone can see aspects of his/her parents in the Costanzas. I like Jerry's mother as well. Reminds me of my own: resides in a Del Boca Vista-like retirement community and every time I visit I am caught in the local intrigue. Kramer is probably my least favorite character: any story that centers too much on him is a bit weak. He's best used as punctuation.
"If it wasn't for fear i wouldn't get out of bed in the morning" - Forrest Griffin

Offline Curly4444

Kramer is probably my least favorite character: any story that centers too much on him is a bit weak. He's best used as punctuation.

Your kidding, hes my favorite character. I laugh my ass off everytime hes on screen. He's just so dam funny, how can you not like the Ass-man??

Offline vomit

Seinfeld was the last show I watched on a regular basis until "Pawn Stars" came out.  Seinfeld was great!  There was an episode where Kramer was talking to an old lady who claimed to be in a Three Stooge short.  Kramer asked if it was a "Curly or a Shemp"?  She said it was a "Curly".  Great show!
Specto Caelum!

xraffle

Anyone here prefer Friends over Seinfeld? I remember in high school, my classmates used to always argue that one show was better than the other. I used to like Friends when I was a teenager, but as grew older, I started to like Seinfeld more. I don't know why. I guess I just found Ross too annoying, lol.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I like Jerry's mother as well. Reminds me of my own: resides in a Del Boca Vista-like retirement community and every time I visit I am caught in the local intrigue.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
There was an episode where Kramer was talking to an old lady who claimed to be in a Three Stooge short.  Kramer asked if it was a "Curly or a Shemp"?  She said it was a "Curly".  Great show!

"The Trip  Part 1," fourth season premiere. Additional details at ThreeStooges.net Film & TV Tribute Filmography.

Offline falsealarms

Anyone here prefer Friends over Seinfeld? I remember in high school, my classmates used to always argue that one show was better than the other. I used to like Friends when I was a teenager, but as grew older, I started to like Seinfeld more. I don't know why. I guess I just found Ross too annoying, lol.

I only got into Friends towards the end, but saw dozens of episodes later on. Not a bad show, but I'm finding Seinfeld to be funnier with characters that are more up my alley.

Offline Rhinosaurus

The 7th season is pure gold.  That season reminds me a lot of Curb your Enthusiam type humor.  I think that's when the show peaked.

Offline falsealarms

Has anyone seen Seinfeld on tour? He's on tour this fall and I might have a chance to go, but a decent, non-nosebleed seat would be $72 (including tax etc). That's a little pricey, but maybe it's worth it. Tickets actually go up to about $90 for him.

I just watched THE DOG, probably the worst episode I've seen so far (just started season 3). Just didn't gel right for me. THE NOTE, however, was fantastic. So was THE LIBRARY. Philip Baker Hall had a great guest turn in that one. Most of these are pretty good and I'm not even into the peak of the series yet.