2011 NFL season thread

ILMM · 140 · 33595

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Super Bowl XLVI: Brady's Revenge!

Two great games today, Giants sneak in as did the Pats. We saw what a pissed off Brady did against Denver. That time he was pissed because all of the attention was going to that loser Teblow. You think he won't be pissed facing the team that ruined his perfect season? Patriots 35-24.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Looks like we're getting a rematch!  Though I have been silent  and am admittedly a very casual football fan, I have watched every game of the playoffs with my brother and am looking forward to the Super Bowl.  My brother is a huge Pats fan, and while it would be wrong of me to claim I'm a huge fan these days, I did grow up a Giants fan during the Simms/L.T./Joe Morris era, so I'll enjoy the Super Bowl and have a fun sibling rivalry in the process.  Sorry Jim, rooting for the Giants, but I admit my heart won't exactly be broken if New England wins.

A few comments:

-  Count me among those who enjoyed seeing Tebow get his ass handed to him by the Pats.  I wanted to vomit when it was advertised as Tim Tebow and the Broncos Vs. The Pats, as if Tom Brady should be a footnote against this flash in the pan.

- Baltimore choked it big time today between the dropped pass and the missed field goal, what an ugly end to a great game.

-  Totally blown away by the Saints Vs. 49ers game.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Looks like we're getting a rematch!  Though I have been silent  and am admittedly a very casual football fan, I have watched every game of the playoffs with my brother and am looking forward to the Super Bowl.  My brother is a huge Pats fan, and while it would be wrong of me to claim I'm a huge fan these days, I did grow up a Giants fan during the Simms/L.T./Joe Morris era, so I'll enjoy the Super Bowl and have a fun sibling rivalry in the process.  Sorry Jim, rooting for the Giants, but I admit my heart won't exactly be broken if New England wins.

A few comments:

-  Count me among those who enjoyed seeing Tebow get his ass handed to him by the Pats.  I wanted to vomit when it was advertised as Tim Tebow and the Broncos Vs. The Pats, as if Tom Brady should be a footnote against this flash in the pan.

- Baltimore choked it big time today between the dropped pass and the missed field goal, what an ugly end to a great game.

-  Totally blown away by the Saints Vs. 49ers game.

How can you be a Sox fan AND a Giants fan? Gross! <shudder>
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

How can you be a Sox fan AND a Giants fan? Gross! <shudder>

Growing up in Fairfield County has a strange effect on people.  Grew up close to New York, but still a New Englander.  Confusing for a kid.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Is it too early for predictions: Pats 31, Giants 24

Should be one hell of a game...
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline JazzBill

I was a little off on the Pats vs Ravens score but I still had the right winner. I called the Giants vs 49's real close. I'm happy!
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline falsealarms

What a game that was. It could have gone either way (and at times I thought it was going to go the other way) but the Giants continue to find ways to prevail. I can't believe they're going to the SB considering a month ago they were in danger of not even making the playoffs. But here they are. They've certainly earned it after beating GB and SF on the road.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
What a game that was. It could have gone either way (and at times I thought it was going to go the other way) but the Giants continue to find ways to prevail. I can't believe they're going to the SB considering a month ago they were in danger of not even making the playoffs. But here they are. They've certainly earned it after beating GB and SF on the road.

So the Pats were "lucky" but the Giants "find ways to prevail"...wonder whose side you are on?

Offline falsealarms

The Niners didn't have the win right in their hands like Baltimore did when Evans should have given them the win.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The Niners didn't have the win right in their hands like Baltimore did when Evans should have given them the win.

Evans didn't drop the ball due to a case of butterfingers, it took an excellent play by Pats CB Sterling Moore to break the pass up. What game were you watching?

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I can easily say the Giants got lucky because without the muffed punt and fumbled return they don't win. You can be a Giants fan or a Patriots hater all you want, but be consistent and fair. If you're going to come here spouting bullshit like "The Pats got lucky and the Giants find ways to prevail" no one is going to take you seriously.

Offline falsealarms

At a minimum, the Patriots game should have gone to overtime. Who knows what would have happened -- maybe NE would win anyway -- but the game should have gone into overtime. Cundiff hits that field goal 90 times out of 100.

The Giants "finding ways to prevail" is a testament to the heart this team has shown over the past month by going on the road to GB and SF and coming out ahead. The punt and fumble recovery were pure hustle plays by Devin Thomas.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
At a minimum, the Patriots game should have gone to overtime. Who knows what would have happened -- maybe NE would win anyway -- but the game should have gone into overtime. Cundiff hits that field goal 90 times out of 100.

The Giants "finding ways to prevail" is a testament to the heart this team has shown over the past month by going on the road to GB and SF and coming out ahead. The punt and fumble recovery were pure hustle plays by Devin Thomas.

Fine, according to your logic the Patriots are just a lucky team that doesn't deserve to be there while the Giants are this great powerful that stomped mudholes in the 49ers (nevermind that both teams won in similar manners, mistakes by the other team). You keep living your NY Mook delusions.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Hey everybody, the Mets are actually a great team! The 18 teams that had better seasons than them last year just got lucky while the valiant Mets won 77 whole games!

Offline falsealarms

I never said the SB was going to be some kind of Giants cakewalk. Far from it. I could see it go either way, but it's going to be hard for anyone to pick against the Giants considering the roll they've been on the last month. Nothing against New England, a very strong team in their own right, but going on the road to beat GB and SF strikes me as a harder task than beating NE on a neutral field.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I never said the SB was going to be some kind of Giants cakewalk. Far from it. I could see it go either way, but it's going to be hard for anyone to pick against the Giants considering the roll they've been on the last month. Nothing against New England, a very strong team in their own right, but going on the road to beat GB and SF strikes me as a harder task than beating NE on a neutral field.

The Giants got lucky that Rodgers had an off day. See, I can do it too! If the Giants win, even by a score of 100-0, they will have been lucky and all Giants fans should breathe a sigh of relief. I did it again! It's pretty easy! If the Patriots win, even on an 80 yard Gostkowski FG it will have been pure guts and determination. I'm on a roll! The Red Sox did not shoot themselves in the foot last season, it was all of the forces of the Super Best Friends and pure bad luck that kept them out of the postseason. You can't stop me now!

Look False, when it comes to playoff games you can't judge off of past rounds. Yeah the Giants are on a roll: so are the Patriots. They've won 10 straight! Do you not think that the XLII loss, coupled with the lone loss at home this year is not going to light a forest fire under the asses of the Patriots? Brady had far from his best game in the AFC Championship: no TD's thrown and 2 INTs and they still won the fucking game! Against a defense that quite frankly is BETTER than the NYG's. The Super Bowl will be no easier than winning in GB or SF; in fact it will be more difficult. The Giants are going up against one of the two best QB's of the millenium (the other being Peyton Manning) and the best coach of the millenium. They are also facing a defense that in the postseason has been awesome.

The Super Bowl will a difficult win for either team, especially after Madonna spreads her nasty, ancient, petrified twat lips at halftime unleashing an enormous dust cloud that envelopes Indianapolis and the surrounding area clear through to August.

Offline ILMM

Am still stunned at the two turnovers on punts in yesterdays game. :o
"That must be Nick Barker.... he's disguised as a black banana."-Shemp

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Am still stunned at the two turnovers on punts in yesterdays game. :o

Which had everything to do with Devin Thomas and nothing to do with the return guy fucking up, just ask the master of all things football, False.

Offline falsealarms

Which had everything to do with Devin Thomas and nothing to do with the return guy fucking up, just ask the master of all things football, False.

You seem to care a lot more about it than I do. In hindsight, the Giants may not have won that game if not for the muffed punts. But they still had to kick the 31 yard field goal to win the game. Ask Billy Cundiff and he'll say that's no automatic.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
You seem to care a lot more about it than I do. In hindsight, the Giants may not have won that game if not for the muffed punts. But they still had to kick the 31 yard field goal to win the game. Ask Billy Cundiff and he'll say that's no automatic.

One of the things I like about discussing sports on this and past Stooge sites is that we almost never get a bunch of biased Homers typing stupid shit just for the hell of it. Baseball, football...whatever the sport the sports fans here can look passed their biases and intelligently discuss the sports happenings of the day while at the same time rejoicing when their favorite teams win. When we do get folks who are a bunch of biased Homers I call them out on it. Why? Because I don't sports threads here turning into comments sections on ESPN.com.

Have you seen those? You have to wade through rivers of retarded shit to get to any good, thoughtful posts. I'll bet dollars to donuts that right now on any Patriots article we'll have haters who are spouting off stupid shit like "Belichick has the officials in his back pocket" and whatnot. I do not want that here. The way that the Patriots and Giants won their games yesterday were very similar. Both were tooth and nail, down to wire, insert cliche here and both games came down to mistakes by the other team.

Now had you come on and said "both teams were incredibly lucky" or the inverse I would have left you alone. No, the Upstate NY Mook in you shone through with "the Patriots were lucky while the wonderous Giants valorously find ways to prevail". Then, the icing the Cake of Stupidity was added when you basically inferred that the Ravens receiver dropped a wide open pass that should have won the game while the Giants defender somehow through great athleticism willed that one punt be muffed and a return fumbled. Does he have a Voodoo Doll of that 49ers player (his name escapes me)? That would be like me saying it was Coach Belichicks powerful brain waves that caused Cundiff's kick to miss.

If you'd care to partake in an intelligent sports discussion I'm all ears (eyes). If you want to be a lame assed Homer for your equally lame assed NY teams then please, go to ESPN.com with your brethren. Take care, spike your hair and all that other shit.

Offline JazzBill

There's only one thing that can explain the Patriots win yesterday....Divine intervention!  LOL  [hiding]

Offline JazzBill

Actually, this game should be great. I think it can go either way but I'll take the Giants over the Patriots for the same reason I took them over the 49ers. They seem to be getting hot at the right time.   Giants 27 - Patriots  24

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
There's only one thing that can explain the Patriots win yesterday....Divine intervention!  LOL  [hiding]

Everybody knows the Flying Spaghetti Monster extended one of his noodly appendages and flicked the ball wide...duh!

Offline JazzBill

I just heard on the news that Kyle Williams of the 49ers is receiving death threats. That's insane!

Offline Lefty

Lefty's Super Bowl prediction:  The Giants will win unless I bet on them to win.