Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2011 NFL season thread

ILMM · 140 · 32754

Offline falsealarms

I gotta say, though... if I was a Packers fan, I almost would rather see them lose a game before the playoffs. See the Pats from a few years ago.

Offline ILMM

I don't think the Giants played a bad game. It seems that the Packers find a way to win. I'm a Bears fan but today showed they are done. Cutler and now Forte out, it's over.

The one bright spot is that all the teams the Bears wanted to lose, lost.
"That must be Nick Barker.... he's disguised as a black banana."-Shemp

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I gotta say, though... if I was a Packers fan, I almost would rather see them lose a game before the playoffs. See the Pats from a few years ago.

Oh please. How quickly you forget the Colts from a couple seasons later who won the first 14, then laid down for the last two regular season games. They were scared that they would suffer the same "fate" as New England so they sent in the scrubs early and lost both games. What happened? Lost to the Saints in the Super Bowl.

If you have a chance to go undefeated, make history, and send that dildo Mercury Morris permanently to obscurity where he belongs then by all means you should try it.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline vomit

...and the Cowboys December woes continue.  Losing in the last 5 minutes with a 12 point lead.  Sickening.  The ENTIRE Dallas secondary should be shown the door as soon as possible. I never saw so many players looking that confused and out of place.  Ryan can't coach these guys up, and I have no idea why he thinks blitzing can work when the secondary has more holes than a block of ripe Swiss cheese. 
Specto Caelum!

Offline ILMM

Offline ILMM

The Packers lose their first, the Colts win their first, and the Bears season is just about done, losing
to the Seahawks 38-14. :(

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
More importantly Brady and Belichick beat Tebow and Jesus, clinching the AFC East.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline JazzBill

More importantly Brady and Belichick beat Tebow and Jesus, clinching the AFC East.

"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Just goes to show how lame society is. My favorite "Tebowing" was today's "Sad Tebowing" by the douche bag himself as the Patriots whopped some ass. There he was on the sidelines in his pose with a big pout on his face.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
With the 2011 NFL Season complete it's time for Wild Card predictions!

AFC

3. Houston Texans (10-6) vs 6. Cincinnati Bengals (9-7)

Both teams going out of the regular season with a whimper, and both with rookie QBs but I like the Bengals in this one. They played in the toughest division in the AFC (and probably NFL). Could be the "sleeper hit" of the Wild Card round. Bengals 27-24

4. Denver Broncos (8-8) vs 5. Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4)

This one has ugly written all over it. Tim Tebow is the worst QB in the league: I'd rather have any team's 3rd stringer start for my team than him. Broncos D keeps the Steelers from scoring too much but it won't be enough as Pittsburgh wins easily. Steelers 24-0

NFC

3. New Orleans Saints (13-3) vs 6. Detroit Lions (10-6)

It's a shame for Detroit they couldn't beat a Packers team with Rodgers on the sidelines because I would have gone with them over the Giants. If Matt Flynn can throw for 400+ yards against the Lions D imagine what Drew Brees could do. Detroit will keep it interesting but in the end the Saints will win a shootout. Saints 42-35

4. New York Giants (9-7) vs 5. Atlanta Falcons (10-6)

This is toughest game for me to call because the Giants are so up and down and unpredictable. I will go with the Giants just as a "thank you" for helping send Rex Ryan back home to his wife's smelly feet. Giants 24-21.

Pick I'm most confident in: Pittsburgh. Pick I'm least confident in: NY Giants.

Offline ILMM

AFC

Both teams going out of the regular season with a whimper, and both with rookie QBs but I like the Bengals in this one. They played in the toughest division in the AFC (and probably NFL). Could be the "sleeper hit" of the Wild Card round. Bengals 27-24

This one has ugly written all over it. Tim Tebow is the worst QB in the league: I'd rather have any team's 3rd stringer start for my team than him. Broncos D keeps the Steelers from scoring too much but it won't be enough as Pittsburgh wins easily. Steelers 24-0

NFC

It's a shame for Detroit they couldn't beat a Packers team with Rodgers on the sidelines because I would have gone with them over the Giants. If Matt Flynn can throw for 400+ yards against the Lions D imagine what Drew Brees could do. Detroit will keep it interesting but in the end the Saints will win a shootout. Saints 42-35

This is toughest game for me to call because the Giants are so up and down and unpredictable. I will go with the Giants just as a "thank you" for helping send Rex Ryan back home to his wife's smelly feet. Giants 24-21.

All sounds just about right, although I think the Broncos will manage to get a field goal, or one touchdown.

Offline vomit

AFC

NFC

I think your predictions are pretty astute...although I think the Texans will beat Cincy....even though I am rooting for the Bengals.
Specto Caelum!

Offline Lefty

Without even watching the Giants' game tomorrow, I can find out the results at work on Monday -- by the level of noise from the Giants' fans.  Hopefully, things will be quieter than normal.   [cry]

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well it's quite easy to see that in this first that INT for a TD changed everything.

Offline JazzBill

Hopefully today's the day when Tebow and the rest of the Bronco's get to go home. Go Steelers!!!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Hopefully today's the day when Tebow and the rest of the Bronco's get to go home. Go Steelers!!!

With the Texans win I am legitimately torn on this one. Half of me wants to see the Broncos lose (as they most likely will) but the other, more practical and analytical half realizes that a Broncos upset would be better for the Patriots.

Offline ILMM

One thing that's in Denver's favor is the fact that the Steelers haven't been scoring a lot of
points. They only scored 13 against the Browns, I think.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well, that was totally unexpected. I thought that Steelers defense was going to eat Tim Tebow alive, but instead it's a 20 to 6 beatdown. I guess all the home teams are going to win.

???
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline JazzBill

I feel ill, another week of Tebow talk.

Offline ILMM

Tebow and the Broncos win in thrilling fashion in OT 29-23! :o
Giants dominate in their win 24-2.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

That was one hell of a ball game. What a finish.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
It's ironic that the one game I thought would not be close was the only close game of the week. So goes the NFL. When was the last time all of the home teams won in the Wild Card round, or Divisional for that matter? Seems like it's been awhile. On to my picks...

AFC

1. Patriots vs 4. Broncos

As a Patriots fan all I can say is "YES YES YES!" The Patriots came back and destroyed the Broncos in Denver and I see the same here. Brady has just too many passing options and Denver's D, while good is not good enough. The  Broncos offense will not be able to keep up. Patriots 38-21.

2. Ravens vs 3. Texans

Now we get to the games that should be good. This one should come down to the running games and defenses as both QBs, while solid (and Flacco is better than solid) are not known to burn up the stat sheet. A very tough game to call but I'll go with Baltimore at home 20-14.

NFC

1. Packers vs 4. Giants

Big Blue's D  really brought it today against Atlanta, but Green Bay's offense is much more lethal than Atlanta's. There could very well be a huge upset in Lambeau but I am going to play it safe and go with the Packers 30-28.

2. 49ers vs 3. Saints

I'm sure New Orleans will be the favorites but you can't sleep on a 13-3 team. I love this matchup because these two teams are such polar opposites. This also makes this game the hardest to call in a week of incredibly tough games to call. I'm actually going to go out on a limb and go with San Francisco, 24-21.

Pick I'm most confident in: Patriots, pick I'm least confident in: 49ers.

Offline metaldams

AFC

As a Patriots fan all I can say is "YES YES YES!" The Patriots came back and destroyed the Broncos in Denver and I see the same here. Brady has just too many passing options and Denver's D, while good is not good enough. The  Broncos offense will not be able to keep up. Patriots 38-21.

4th quater, 4 seconds to go, Denver up 12 - 10.  New England's in line for the game winning field goal.  As the ball is about to sail through for the win, the goal post magically turns into a cross which proceeds to block the ball, giving Denver the victory.  Foxboro then magically speaks in tongues, Adrian Gonzalez speaks to the Boston Globe about this powerful experience, and ISLIPP is named the new NFL commissioner.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline ILMM

4th quater, 4 seconds to go, Denver up 12 - 10.  New England's in line for the game winning field goal.  As the ball is about to sail through for the win, the goal post magically turns into a cross which proceeds to block the ball, giving Denver the victory.  Foxboro then magically speaks in tongues, Adrian Gonzalez speaks to the Boston Globe about this powerful experience, and ISLIPP is named the new NFL commissioner.

You forgot the part where shemps#1 becomes a monk.

Offline vomit

It's ironic that the one game I thought would not be close was the only close game of the week. So goes the NFL. When was the last time all of the home teams won in the Wild Card round, or Divisional for that matter? Seems like it's been awhile. On to my picks...

AFC

2. Ravens vs 3. Texans

Now we get to the games that should be good. This one should come down to the running games and defenses as both QBs, while solid (and Flacco is better than solid) are not known to burn up the stat sheet. A very tough game to call but I'll go with Baltimore at home 20-14.

NFC

1. Packers vs 4. Giants

Big Blue's D  really brought it today against Atlanta, but Green Bay's offense is much more lethal than Atlanta's. There could very well be a huge upset in Lambeau but I am going to play it safe and go with the Packers 30-28.

2. 49ers vs 3. Saints

I'm sure New Orleans will be the favorites but you can't sleep on a 13-3 team. I love this matchup because these two teams are such polar opposites. This also makes this game the hardest to call in a week of incredibly tough games to call. I'm actually going to go out on a limb and go with San Francisco, 24-21.

Pick I'm most confident in: Patriots, pick I'm least confident in: 49ers.

As a Cowboys fan I despise the Giants.  But living in Packer country with there insufferable fans, I hope the G-Men win.  They did in '07....but Brett farce helped them out with the pick that sealed the deal.  Rodgers is NO Favre (he's much better, whch sucks!)
Specto Caelum!