Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2011 NFL season thread

ILMM · 140 · 32885

Offline vomit

I'm onboard with the Pats.  As a disgruntled Dallas fan, I have no recourse.  I was glad the Pack got ejected (I live in Upper Michigan where the Packer fans are like a plague), and now I just want to see Eli get his deserved BEATDOWN!!!
Specto Caelum!

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Here's my "as unbiased as possible" take on Eli Manning.

Is Eli a Top 10 QB in the league today? Yes. He is a great QB and you can have a lot worse (just ask Denver or housemates the Jets about terrible QBs). Is he a Top 5 QB today, or an "Elite" QB? No. Brady, Peyton (he will be back), Brees, Rodgers, Rivers, Roethlesberger are all better than Eli overall and I'm not sure about Stafford and Newton (could very well be in the future). An "elite" QB has his team in contention year in and year out: i.e. making the playoffs consistently. That's not the ONLY mark of an "elite" QB but it is an important one. I think it's very presumptuous to put himself alongside Peyton and Brady and the like when he has failed to be consistent.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline ILMM

Here's my "as unbiased as possible" take on Eli Manning.

Is Eli a Top 10 QB in the league today? Yes. He is a great QB and you can have a lot worse (just ask Denver or housemates the Jets about terrible QBs). Is he a Top 5 QB today, or an "Elite" QB? No. Brady, Peyton (he will be back), Brees, Rodgers, Rivers, Roethlesberger are all better than Eli overall and I'm not sure about Stafford and Newton (could very well be in the future). An "elite" QB has his team in contention year in and year out: i.e. making the playoffs consistently. That's not the ONLY mark of an "elite" QB but it is an important one. I think it's very presumptuous to put himself alongside Peyton and Brady and the like when he has failed to be consistent.

Here's the playoffs and Super Bowl W/Ls of the Qbs you mentioned.
                                      Playoffs: W-L      SB:
                                      Brady:    16/5 .762  3of4 [1]
                       Roethlesberger:    10/4 .714  2of3
                                            Eli:    7/3   .700 1of1 [1]
                                   Rodgers:   4/2   .666  1of1
                                       Brees:   5/4   .556  1of1
                                     Peyton:   9/10 .474  1of2
                                      Rivers:   3/4   .429   0
From this list Brady is the best, followed by Roethlesberger with Eli in third. Peyton's main exemplary is his
2nd best in playoff appearances with 2nd worst in w/l ratio. Eli appears to be the better bet in the playoffs,
and clearly the better Qb than Rivers. Now, like you said, there is more than one mark of an elite Qb,
I think with his play this year and his playoff ratio have backed-up his boast; and I think he will
out-play his brother in general from here-on-out.
"That must be Nick Barker.... he's disguised as a black banana."-Shemp

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
My point was there is more than just playoffs to factor in. Will Eli outplay Peyton from here on out? Probably since Peyton is 36 and 36 is old in NFL years. Will he ever be Peyton in his prime or as good as the other greats like Brady, Marino, Montana, Favre et. al.? Most likely not. I know a lot of NY fans like to help Eli puff up his ego, but let's be realistic here.

Marino never won a Super Bowl, would you say he wasn't an "elite" QB? Or that Eli is better than Marino ever was?
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline ILMM

My point was there is more than just playoffs to factor in. Will Eli outplay Peyton from here on out? Probably since Peyton is 36 and 36 is old in NFL years. Will he ever be Peyton in his prime or as good as the other greats like Brady, Marino, Montana, Favre et. al.? Most likely not. I know a lot of NY fans like to help Eli puff up his ego, but let's be realistic here.

Marino never won a Super Bowl, would you say he wasn't an "elite" QB? Or that Eli is better than Marino ever was?

I suppose he may not be overall as great a player as the others you mentioned, my point was
that he's done enough the be considered elite. Marino was elite, and was the individual better player,
but Eli has already achieved the ultimate goal and may win it again, and Marino never did, so
Eli may very-well be said to have had the better career.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man

I suppose he may not be overall as great a player as the others you mentioned, my point was
that he's done enough the be considered elite. Marino was elite, and was the individual better player,
but Eli has already achieved the ultimate goal and may win it again, and Marino never did, so
Eli may very-well be said to have had the better career.

Playing Devil's Advocate here, Trent Dilfer is a Super Bowl winning QB. Does that mean he had a better career than Marino?

Offline ILMM

Playing Devil's Advocate here, Trent Dilfer is a Super Bowl winning QB. Does that mean he had a better career than Marino?

No, probably not; you have me there. The difference between Eli and Dilfer is that Eli's play contributes
more to his team's success than Dilfer's did.

Offline JazzBill

For as great as Peyton has been in his career he only has one Super Bowl win. And that was against a Chicago Bears team that won a couple key games but lucked into the playoffs by beating 2nd and 3rd string quarterbacks a few games. The first game against Detroit they won on a bad penalty that overturned a legit touchdown. Was Peyton as good as Brady? No. Is Eli as good as Peyton was? No, not yet. But Eli still has a few good years left. Peyton don't. I agree that a QB can be a great without a Super Bowl win but it sure don't hurt.
Speaking of the Super Bowl, it doesn't look like Gronkowski is going to be 100%. No suprise there, I still cringe when I see that play.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The "Great Quarterbacks With No Super Bowl Rings In The Super Bowl Era" list is short indeed. Marino, Fran Tarkenton, Jim Kelly, Warren Moon...maybe the Philly combo of Cunningham and McNabb? There are probably a few here and there I am missing, but overall the list is short and I would put all of them ahead of Eli. Eli has had better teams, and in particular better defenses around him. We are also in an era where while there is parity the AFC has been better than the NFC the past decade despite the past couple of Super Bowls going to the NFC. Eli has had to face Tom Brady once every four years: Peyton, by virtue of the Colts and Pats being in first place more often than not, has had to face Tom Brady every year.

Gronk will be there 100% or not. After all he did come back in the AFC Championship after that play.

Offline ILMM

For as great as Peyton has been in his career he only has one Super Bowl win. And that was against a Chicago Bears team that won a couple key games but lucked into the playoffs by beating 2nd and 3rd string quarterbacks a few games. The first game against Detroit they won on a bad penalty that overturned a legit touchdown. Was Peyton as good as Brady? No. Is Eli as good as Peyton was? No, not yet. But Eli still has a few good years left. Peyton don't. I agree that a QB can be a great without a Super Bowl win but it sure don't hurt.
Speaking of the Super Bowl, it doesn't look like Gronkowski is going to be 100%. No suprise there, I still cringe when I see that play.

That Detroit game wasn't the Super Bowl year, it was the season before last.

Offline ILMM

The "Great Quarterbacks With No Super Bowl Rings In The Super Bowl Era" list is short indeed. Marino, Fran Tarkenton, Jim Kelly, Warren Moon...maybe the Philly combo of Cunningham and McNabb? There are probably a few here and there I am missing, but overall the list is short and I would put all of them ahead of Eli. Eli has had better teams, and in particular better defenses around him. We are also in an era where while there is parity the AFC has been better than the NFC the past decade despite the past couple of Super Bowls going to the NFC. Eli has had to face Tom Brady once every four years: Peyton, by virtue of the Colts and Pats being in first place more often than not, has had to face Tom Brady every year.

Fair enough, I guess we'll see as his career goes on.

Offline JazzBill

That Detroit game wasn't the Super Bowl year, it was the season before last.

You are correct sir, my mistake.

Offline ILMM

Going to predict a Patriots win, 23-20.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Patriots 31, Giants 24
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!

Offline JazzBill

Giants 27, Patriots 24

Offline OldFred

Place yer bets, ya Mugs!  [3stooges]

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Wow, a defensive struggle going into the half. I gotta say I wasn't expecting that. Brady looked magnificent on that last scoring drive.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline JazzBill

Hey Hey!!!! I called that one. Fuck Brady..

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
That sucked. At least I'm high. Fuck you Bill.

Offline JazzBill

That sucked. At least I'm high. Fuck you Bill.
Ha Ha sore loser. Your high and I'm drunk. Big deal.  :laugh:

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Where was your team?

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well, nothing you can do but tip your cap to JazzBill & the Giants. The Pats had a chance to put the game away, but Brady missed a wide open Welker & Eli does it again.

Offline JazzBill

Where was your team?
I live in Chicago but I'm not a real big Bears fan. I do like to gamble and my money was on the Giants. So my team was winning the Super Bowl.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I live in Chicago but I'm not a real big Bears fan. I do like to gamble and my money was on the Giants. So my team was winning the Super Bowl.

Ummm no. You cannot jump on the Giants bandwagon because you won some scratch. The Giant are not your team.

In my younger years I would be upset, but there is more to life than sports championships: weed and pussy. If they would have won great but oh well. Only thing is douche bag New Yorkers are happy and drunk in the streets.