Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Star Wars 3-D

Offline Curly4444

Star Wars
Witness the beginning. Share the Experience. Feel the Force surround you. Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace is coming to theaters on February 10, 2012 in spectacular 3D!

That greedy bastard Lucas it bringing the star wars movies to theaters again in 3-D. ::) Gee i must see it again because its in 3-D. Please.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
He'll milk the cash cow until it's dry and then rip open its udders to try to find some stray drops.

A shitty movie in 3D is no less shitty.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

He'll milk the cash cow until it's dry and then rip open its udders to try to find some stray drops.

Probably just that converted shitty 3-d?

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Probably just that converted shitty 3-d?

It has to be, they didn't film those movies in 3D. In fact, I think even Ep. III was made before the modern 3D filming that we see today.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline vomit

You got that right!
Specto Caelum!

Offline Stooges#1

Looks like George Lucas wasn't bright enough to have the first film in 3-D air on May the Fourth.

Offline vomit

That greedy bastard Lucas it bringing the star wars movies to theaters again in 3-D. ::) Gee i must see it again because its in 3-D. Please.

A turd is a turd, but who wants to see a turd in living 3-D????  Something tells me my boy will be forcing me to see this one. Not looking forward to that.
Specto Caelum!

Offline Curly4444

A turd is a turd, but who wants to see a turd in living 3-D????  Something tells me my boy will be forcing me to see this one. Not looking forward to that.

You dont like star wars? Don't say that too loud, we may have to stone you?  [pie]

Offline vomit

No, no, no.  Just thought Ep. I "Phantom Menace" was by far the weakest of the series.  I love star Wars!  Just not PM so much.
Specto Caelum!

Offline Curly4444

No, no, no.  Just thought Ep. I "Phantom Menace" was by far the weakest of the series.  I love star Wars!  Just not PM so much.

Oh, ok. I guess i can put away my stones.  ;D

None of the new ones were as good as they could have been. If Lucas made them more dark and serious like batman dark knight, they would have kicked ass.

Offline vomit

Oh, ok. I guess i can put away my stones.  ;D

None of the new ones were as good as they could have been. If Lucas made them more dark and serious like batman dark knight, they would have kicked ass.

No prob.  I liked "Revenge of the Sith"!
Specto Caelum!

Offline Curly4444

No prob.  I liked "Revenge of the Sith"!

I did too. It was starting to get more serious and dark in this movie. Too bad it didn't start this way in the first movie.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I was out and about and bored so I actually went to movies and saw this. Yes, I paid good money to watch a crappy movie in 3D. I thought I would share a few notes, so here goes.

Turnout: There were about 3 or 4 screens at my local mall multiplex showing it. I was at the third showing according to start times and the place was absolutely packed, which I did not expect. I would expect Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace 3D to do great numbers and most likely hit #1 for the weekend. The place seemed to filled with mostly teens and young 20-somethings, but that could be because it was a 7:20 pm showing on a Friday night.

3D: I was actually surprised at how well the 3D worked seeing as this is 13-14 year old movie. The depth perception and whatnot was pulled off quite nicely for the most part, but there were a few scenes that looked the actors/computer generated characters were standing in front of a blue screen that the background was projected on because the characters were 3D and the background was not. These were few and far between. I did have to take my glasses off and rub my eyes maybe twice but no major migraines or anything, which is good because migraine sufferers like myself are prone to get them looking at 3D movies and the like.

The Movie
It still sucks whether on VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray or on the screen in 2D or 3D. I have a couple of things to say about the movie in particular while it is still somewhat fresh in my mind. After all, when comes down to it I am a lifelong Star Wars geek. Empire and the original are two of my favorite movies of all time, I had Empire bedsheets as a kid and Jedi was the first movie I remember going to the theater to see.

The Kid: He's not quite as annoying as I would have thought, probably because Jar Jar hogs all of the annoying spotlight. I did think the ending where he pilots the fighter and blows up the Trade Federation's ship was silly. I understand he is supposed to be the "chosen one" but he's 6-8 for fuck's sake.

Jar Jar: Like I said, he's annoying as fuck. I remember he caught flack from PC groups labeling him as a "black caricature", but I didn't see it. All I saw was this utterly annoying character with way too much screen time stumbling and bumbling around the movie. A Harold Lloyd type is not the best fit for the Star Wars universe.

Darth Maul: So much wasted potential here. Yes, he looks badass...but we aren't really given a reason to care about him. All we know about him is that he is Sidious' Sith apprentice. In the original not only was Vader given more lines and more to do but other characters like Obi-Wan would talk about his past to help give him depth. Depth is sorely missing from just about all of the new characters.

Midichlorians and Anakin as Jesus: We did not need an unnecessary explanation about the Force that tried to blend pseudo-science and religion. It was also completely unnecessary to have Anakin the product of a "virgin birth" and be the "chosen one". What a way to blatantly rip off Christianity and the other religions with similar characters before it. The whole bit about Midichlorians could and should have been scrapped.

Overall if I were to rank Phantom Menace amongst the Star Wars movies it would either be 5 or 6. I'm having a hard time deciding which is worse: this or Attack of the Clones which was so boring. At least Menace was not boring.

One last note: parents if your child is unable to sit down for 2 hours or so then please leave them at home and don't take them to the movies where other people are trying to watch in peace. Like I said earlier the place was filled with mostly teens and young 20-somethings, but there was a couple with a young child right behind me. It seems as though they have not taught the child to whisper as he never did and about halfway though the movie he started saying "it's over, Mommy it's over" in a normal level voice. He also stated his "needed" candy at one point and even told his parents to "stop it" when they tried to correct him. He was taken out by a parent twice during the movie but with about 10 mins left started in with that "it's over" crap again. I paid way too much money to sit there and watch this movie, I nor anyone else should be subject to intolerable little brats whining because they get no discipline at home. In the old days someone would have gotten an usher and eventually they would have been tossed.

Offline vomit

I was out and about and bored so I actually went to movies and saw this. Yes, I paid good money to watch a crappy movie in 3D. I thought I would share a few notes, so here goes.

Turnout: There were about 3 or 4 screens at my local mall multiplex showing it. I was at the third showing according to start times and the place was absolutely packed, which I did not expect. I would expect Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace 3D to do great numbers and most likely hit #1 for the weekend. The place seemed to filled with mostly teens and young 20-somethings, but that could be because it was a 7:20 pm showing on a Friday night.

3D: I was actually surprised at how well the 3D worked seeing as this is 13-14 year old movie. The depth perception and whatnot was pulled off quite nicely for the most part, but there were a few scenes that looked the actors/computer generated characters were standing in front of a blue screen that the background was projected on because the characters were 3D and the background was not. These were few and far between. I did have to take my glasses off and rub my eyes maybe twice but no major migraines or anything, which is good because migraine sufferers like myself are prone to get them looking at 3D movies and the like.

The Movie
It still sucks whether on VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray or on the screen in 2D or 3D. I have a couple of things to say about the movie in particular while it is still somewhat fresh in my mind. After all, when comes down to it I am a lifelong Star Wars geek. Empire and the original are two of my favorite movies of all time, I had Empire bedsheets as a kid and Jedi was the first movie I remember going to the theater to see.

The Kid: He's not quite as annoying as I would have thought, probably because Jar Jar hogs all of the annoying spotlight. I did think the ending where he pilots the fighter and blows up the Trade Federation's ship was silly. I understand he is supposed to be the "chosen one" but he's 6-8 for fuck's sake.

Jar Jar: Like I said, he's annoying as fuck. I remember he caught flack from PC groups labeling him as a "black caricature", but I didn't see it. All I saw was this utterly annoying character with way too much screen time stumbling and bumbling around the movie. A Harold Lloyd type is not the best fit for the Star Wars universe.

Darth Maul: So much wasted potential here. Yes, he looks badass...but we aren't really given a reason to care about him. All we know about him is that he is Sidious' Sith apprentice. In the original not only was Vader given more lines and more to do but other characters like Obi-Wan would talk about his past to help give him depth. Depth is sorely missing from just about all of the new characters.

Midichlorians and Anakin as Jesus: We did not need an unnecessary explanation about the Force that tried to blend pseudo-science and religion. It was also completely unnecessary to have Anakin the product of a "virgin birth" and be the "chosen one". What a way to blatantly rip off Christianity and the other religions with similar characters before it. The whole bit about Midichlorians could and should have been scrapped.

Overall if I were to rank Phantom Menace amongst the Star Wars movies it would either be 5 or 6. I'm having a hard time deciding which is worse: this or Attack of the Clones which was so boring. At least Menace was not boring.

One last note: parents if your child is unable to sit down for 2 hours or so then please leave them at home and don't take them to the movies where other people are trying to watch in peace. Like I said earlier the place was filled with mostly teens and young 20-somethings, but there was a couple with a young child right behind me. It seems as though they have not taught the child to whisper as he never did and about halfway though the movie he started saying "it's over, Mommy it's over" in a normal level voice. He also stated his "needed" candy at one point and even told his parents to "stop it" when they tried to correct him. He was taken out by a parent twice during the movie but with about 10 mins left started in with that "it's over" crap again. I paid way too much money to sit there and watch this movie, I nor anyone else should be subject to intolerable little brats whining because they get no discipline at home. In the old days someone would have gotten an usher and eventually they would have been tossed.

Thanks for the review. I am mildy surprised my 8 year old Star Wars nut, didn't pester me to take him (yet, anyways!).  PM was my least favorite of the new 3.  Clones is hardly any better...I like "Sith" though. 

And I hear ya about kids in the theatre.  When my oldest was little we tried taking him to a show, and he was so distracted that we ended up leaving so as not to annoy the other patrons......can't blame the kid.  Blame the parents.  Some people shouldn't have 'em that's for sure.
Specto Caelum!