Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2011 NFL season thread

ILMM · 140 · 32887

Offline ILMM

The Green Bay Packers beat the New Orleans Saints in a wild finish at Lambeau Field to
kick-off the new season.
"That must be Nick Barker.... he's disguised as a black banana."-Shemp

Offline Lefty

I totally forgot about it.  That's because (1) we've had lots of flooding in my region, (B) bowling season begins in a few hours, and (Third) there was something more important in Wisconsin last night -- baseball.  After the Phillies (hopefully) win the World Series, then football will move up to #4 in importance.  "Tune in tomorrow for what that fourth thing is -- same Stooge time, same Stooge channel!"

Offline Lefty

"Football is the second-most important part of my life."
"What's first?"
"Anything else."

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I've always been perturbed at how few NFL fans there are on this site. When Stoogeworld was lively we had a yearly pick 'em challenge for the regular and post seasons. Well here's hoping Brady throws for another 500+ yards in a Patriots win over the Chargers.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline ILMM

I've always been perturbed at how few NFL fans there are on this site. When Stoogeworld was lively we had a yearly pick 'em challenge for the regular and post seasons. Well here's hoping Brady throws for another 500+ yards in a Patriots win over the Chargers.

Well, it looks like you basically got your wish. Brady threw for 423 yards, and I think came in second place
all-time for back-to-back passing yards in consecutive games. Not a good day for my Bears though. 
If the offensive line doesn't improve soon, poor Cutler is going to be knocked into an early retirement.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Chicago is one of those teams...and has pretty much always been since I started watching back in '85 when they crushed my Pats in SB XX, one of those teams that has not been QB-centric. They usually have at best an above average QB with great other pieces (the '85 team had a crushing defense and Sweetness himself running the ball...I still have nightmares, but Jim McMahon was an average QB) and sometimes you can find success like the aforementioned '85 Bears as well as the '00 Ravens and the '02 Bucs but I feel that most of the time you need at least a good QB to have consistent success.

Case in point, the Bears wouldn't return to the SB until '06 with Grossman (who is now 2-0 with the Redskins, go figure) and sure they made it to the NFC Championship last year, but with yet another average QB (Cutler). The Bears won't have a consistent run until they get a better QB.

Berman just said Brady has had the two biggest back-to-back passing weeks since the AFL/NFL merger. Brady is one of the greatest QB's ever and the Patriots have been consistently successful, even with at times a weak running game.

A couple of teams I am keeping my eyes on are Detroit and Carolina. Detroit can snatch a Wild Card spot this year and I think they will definitely make the playoffs next year with Stafford and Megatron and once Cam Newton learns how to control himself the Panthers will have a nice long run of success. This won't happen for a few seasons because Newton is green and making too many key mistakes and the Panthers are in a super tough division with New Orleans, Atlanta and Tampa.

If you would have told me that the not only would the Pats be 2-0 going into Week 3 against Buffalo but the Bills would be as well I would have laughed. Unfortunately it looks like I will have to find a stream on Sunday because I doubt my local TV will carry the game.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline ILMM

Too true about our quarterbacks, although I still say that Cutler can be a great QB if He can just
get some dang protection. Detroit is definitely moving up, but we'll see as the season goes on
whether Newtons success is do to His own talent, or because the opposing defence underestimated Him.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Too true about our quarterbacks, although I still say that Cutler can be a great QB if He can just
get some dang protection. Detroit is definitely moving up, but we'll see as the season goes on
whether Newtons success is do to His own talent, or because the opposing defence underestimated Him.

Cam Newton is not going to throw for 430 yards every game; nobody does that. I strongly believe that he will be the face of the Panthers for many years to come and once they build around him they will be a perrenial playoff team. Sure he will have his off "threw for 150 yards and 3 INT" games, especially early in his career with the learning curve and a team surrounding him that blows, but as time goes on those will be less and less and he will be a premier NFL QB; possibly a leader of a "post Brady/P Manning" generation of QBs. I also like Bradford in St. Louis, Stafford in Det and Schaub in Hou as future great QBs.

Carolina's next game is at home against the Jaguars, and if I were a betting man I'd bet the Panthers win.

Offline ILMM

Cam Newton is not going to throw for 430 yards every game; nobody does that.

Not even Brady?  >:D ;D  But seriously, Newton should be around for a good long while if He
can avoid getting caught-up in His own success. In a way, losing His first two games might be
a blessing in disguise for His overall development.

Offline ILMM

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I saw that on ESPN. Davis was one of the most colorful, and interfering owners in the League during his heyday. It will be weird to not see him around but interesting to see where Oakland goes from here.

Offline vomit

Well as a Cowboy's fan I am thinking 8-8, maybe...just maybe 9-7.  Playoffs seem a tad unrealistic, but who knows?  I just one team to eliminate the scourge that is the Green Bay Packers.  Unless Rodgers goes down, I don't see it happening.  Maybe Detoit can wipe them out?
Specto Caelum!

Offline JazzBill

Chicago Bears just kicked the shit out of the Detroit Lions. The wild card is getting interesting. I don't see anyone in the division catching the Packers. Interesting season so far.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline ILMM

Chicago Bears just kicked the shit out of the Detroit Lions. The wild card is getting interesting. I don't see anyone in the division catching the Packers. Interesting season so far.

Yeah the defence and special teams really came up big last night.
I'm really feeling hopeful about our chances, the Packers are the only team we face
with a winning record for the rest of the season.  ;D

Offline vomit

Yeah the defence and special teams really came up big last night.
I'm really feeling hopeful about our chances, the Packers are the only team we face
with a winning record for the rest of the season.  ;D

I have a hard time thinking anone can beat the Pack...although I am really rooting for the Lions on thanksgiving.  And I hope Dallas wipes out Miami......but I am not counting on it.....GO DALLAS!
Specto Caelum!

Offline ILMM

I have a hard time thinking anone can beat the Pack...although I am really rooting for the Lions on thanksgiving.  And I hope Dallas wipes out Miami......but I am not counting on it.....GO DALLAS!

I have to say, I'm actually rooting for the Packers. Let them have the pressure of an undefeated
season, I'd rather see the Lions knocked out.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man

I have to say, I'm actually rooting for the Packers. Let them have the pressure of an undefeated
season, I'd rather see the Lions knocked out.

After all of the shit the Lions have gone through over the past decade or two why would you want to see them fail? I hope they make the playoffs this year.

After a scare with back to back losses to the Steelers and Giants my Patriots have gained firm control of the AFC East with wins over the Jets (second this year) and Chiefs. They also have a rather soft schedule the rest of the way.

Offline ILMM

After all of the shit the Lions have gone through over the past decade or two why would you want to see them fail? I hope they make the playoffs this year.

After a scare with back to back losses to the Steelers and Giants my Patriots have gained firm control of the AFC East with wins over the Jets (second this year) and Chiefs. They also have a rather soft schedule the rest of the way.

I think I misspoke, when I said ''knocked out'' I meant that I just want them to lose a few games to
help the Bears out. If the playoffs started today the Lions would be the 5th seed and the Bears the 6th.
Them losing would help our seeding, and would help to take some pressure off the Bears now that our
starting quarterback is temporarily down. In the past I would want them to do well too, of course now
that they are doing well, it's different.  ;)

Offline ILMM

I got my wish, the Packers beat the Lions 27-15.

Offline vomit

I got my wish, the Packers beat the Lions 27-15.

Man, oh man, I was glad Dallas squeaked past Miami, but was bummed the Kitty-cats lost.  Being from Michigan, I always TRY & like the Lions (or at least find something positive about them) but they are really skidding on thin ice (again).  they may be lucky to get in the playoff's.  Just need Dallas to win a few more, and they may have a PO game at home.....but must beat the Giants (hopefully twice)!  Go Cowboys!
Specto Caelum!

Offline JazzBill

Aaron Rodgers is fucking awesome. I hope the Packers go undefeated, just to shut those 1972 Miami Dolphins up.

Offline falsealarms

It was likely even before today, but after today, the Giants are toast. Their string of second half collapses continue, all but certainly ending the Tom Coughlin era. No way he survives another 2nd half fade. I see Bill Cowher coaching the Giants next year. Full disclosure - I'm a Giants fan.

Offline JazzBill

It was likely even before today, but after today, the Giants are toast. Their string of second half collapses continue, all but certainly ending the Tom Coughlin era. No way he survives another 2nd half fade. I see Bill Cowher coaching the Giants next year. Full disclosure - I'm a Giants fan.

I don't think the Giants played a bad game. It seems that the Packers find a way to win. I'm a Bears fan but today showed they are done. Cutler and now Forte out, it's over.

Offline falsealarms

Playing a bad game or not, ultimately they didn't win at a time they sorely needed to. They've gone from 6-2 to 6-6 and in full collapse mode. Coughlin needs to go anyway. He's been riding the coattails of that SB win for too long and they need a new voice in that room. This would be 3 straight years out of the playoffs, and besides the SB season, they have no other playoff wins under him (0-3). Not that age is the be all end all, but at 65, he's the oldest coach in a league that has continued to move towards younger coaches. I think he's too old school for a lot of players nowadays.

Offline JazzBill

Playing a bad game or not, ultimately they didn't win at a time they sorely needed to. They've gone from 6-2 to 6-6 and in full collapse mode. Coughlin needs to go anyway. He's been riding the coattails of that SB win for too long and they need a new voice in that room. This would be 3 straight years out of the playoffs, and besides the SB season, they have no other playoff wins under him (0-3). Not that age is the be all end all, but at 65, he's the oldest coach in a league that has continued to move towards younger coaches. I think he's too old school for a lot of players nowadays.

I'm sure you're right. You know the team better than I do. They do seem to have a few good players with not much to show for it.