Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Penn & Teller B.S.- The Vatican

Guest · 8 · 3708

xraffle

If you guys have never watched this episode from “Penn & Teller: Bullshit,” then I suggest you take 30 minutes of your time and watch this episode. Ironically, this episode is omitted from the Season 7 DVD set and erased from a lot of episode guides. Something tells me that Penn & Teller and Showtime got into some kind of trouble with the Catholic Church due to this episode. But I find this episode rather shocking. Please watch this video and give me your opinion on it. Do you disagree or agree with it?

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I asked Penn Gillette through Twitter about this episode and what happened to it and he implied that he had nothing to do with it "disappearing" and no idea why it was pulled. I would guess that Showtime received many a complaint from the Catholic Sheeple or feared backlash of some sort and decided to pull it.

"Penn & Teller: Bullshit!" was a great show and the Vatican episode was just one of many episodes taking on religious topics (there were also episodes that covered the Bible, Creationism, Mother Theresa and the Dalai Lama, and touches upon religious aspects relevant in other topics). Naturally I am in total agreement with the episode. If I were Supreme Ruler of the Universe I would have declared war against Vatican City long ago.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

xraffle

I also watched the Mother Theresa episode and was shocked about that as well. I have yet to watch the Bible episode though.

I wish I can disagree with Penn & Teller on all of these stuff that they talk about in their show, but they do an excellent job backing up everything they say. All I know is that I will never look at Mother Teresa nor the Catholic Church the same way. This is just unbelievable!!

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I also watched the Mother Theresa episode and was shocked about that as well. I have yet to watch the Bible episode though.

I wish I can disagree with Penn & Teller on all of these stuff that they talk about in their show, but they do an excellent job backing up everything they say. All I know is that I will never look at Mother Teresa nor the Catholic Church the same way. This is just unbelievable!!

She was a vile, sadistic, disgusting woman; there's no doubt about that. The way she got her jollies off of watching other people's agony makes me wish she were still alive so I can go to Calcutta and punch her in her withered face. Of the three people covered in that episode (Mother Theresa, Dalai Lama and Gandhi) I thought she was the worst. The Dalai Lama was just a child when China steamrolled Tibet, Gandhi's racism was pretty bad but doesn't compare to the pure evil that Mother Theresa committed. What a nasty little hag.

All of the Bullshit! episodes are top notch and if you are not a Libertarian or a Secularist such as myself they will cause you to think and maybe make you angry at them for challenging your beliefs in certain subjects. All in all it was an excellent TV show and I was disappointed when I heard it wasn't coming back.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

I'm definitely going to have to watch this when I get a chance!
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

She was a vile, sadistic, disgusting woman; there's no doubt about that. The way she got her jollies off of watching other people's agony makes me wish she were still alive so I can go to Calcutta and punch her in her withered face. Of the three people covered in that episode (Mother Theresa, Dalai Lama and Gandhi) I thought she was the worst. The Dalai Lama was just a child when China steamrolled Tibet, Gandhi's racism was pretty bad but doesn't compare to the pure evil that Mother Theresa committed. What a nasty little hag.

I don't understand why the Catholic church is saying that she was such a wonderful woman and are considering canonizing her as a saint. They need to do more research and get their facts straight.

Offline metaldams

Very good episode, but minus the whole Italian comedian bit, nothing I didn't already know.  I stopped going to church ever since I was 18, and have only returned for weddings and funerals.  My nephew was baptized and I'm officially his Godfather, but in reality, it was a show for my parents and to a lesser extent, my ex sister in laws's parents.  My brother feels the same way I do.
- Doug Sarnecky

On a few of the subjects they've covered, at least, I doubt they would be very convincing to someone who doesn't already agree with them. Those have been debated so endlessly that it seems kind of presumptuous for P&T to imply they've got them figured out.

Interesting to find out about there being criticism of Mother Theresa, though.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.