Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Double Exposure (1935)

Offline falsealarms

Rare 1935 Bob Hope two-reeler with Johnny Berkes (WHILE THE CAT'S AWAY).

Part 1

Part 2

Offline falsealarms

Did anyone watch this? I thought it was a fun little short. The only negative for me was the guy who played the woman's husband. He was more annoying than entertaining. But it was an interesting short, good background music. Hope's sidekick kind of reminded me of Stan Laurel.

Offline metaldams

I actually saw this short a few years back on TCM.  I remember enjoying it, but don't remember much about it.  I'll give it a fresh viewing again soon.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Another one I saw today was CALLING ALL TARS, which is an extra on the DVD for the Hope/Ball movie Critics Choice. I thought that one was better than the one posted here. Berkes had more funny moments in TARS than Hope did, most notably antics in the powder room and the kitchen. Not a classic short or anything, but pretty solid, and a good way to spend 18 minutes.

Many of these Hope Vitaphone shorts have been released, but unfortunately scattered as extras on various titles. Old Grey Mayor is on G-Men. Shop Talk is on Charge of the Light Brigade (Errol Flynn film). Watch The Birdie is on Top Hat, the Astaire/Rogers film. Paree, Paree (a musical short) is on the Silk Stockings DVD. Double Exposure is on the Gold Diggers of 1935 DVD.

Most (or all) of those titles are OOP but available from 3rd party sellers for as little as $5-$10. Always fun to track down hard to see comedy shorts.