The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

More Site Updates Have Been Launched

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
The most obvious one is in the layout and site navigation.  The menu in the left frame was getting too complicated as I added more features, and it was going to run into problems for users who have their resolution at 800 x 600.

I've ditched the left frame altogether, now, and I narrowed the top frame.  For the site navigation, I've gone back to using the CoolJSMenu dynamic dropdown menu at the top of each page.  The organization should be pretty self explanatory.  I hope you'll like the change.
 [whoo]
I've also added a Stooge Quotes page, in the Stooge Info menu, after jrvass asked about one.  I will be adding in several more features over the next few weeks.
 [artist]

Offline Stoop

Thank you for the hard work, it looks really good!  [thumbsup]
It takes an estimated 2,893 licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop.

Offline Lola-Lou

• Porcupine
  • Applehead
  • I know, I keep changing my name.The voices told me
It sure does look good! Can't wait for more new features. This site gets better all the time!
"I see" said the blind man peeing into the wind "it's all coming back to me now."

Pilsner Panther

The most obvious one is in the layout and site navigation.  The menu in the left frame was getting too complicated as I added more features, and it was going to run into problems for users who have their resolution at 800 x 600.

I've ditched the left frame altogether, now, and I narrowed the top frame.  For the site navigation, I've gone back to using the CoolJSMenu dynamic dropdown menu at the top of each page.  The organization should be pretty self explanatory.  I hope you'll like the change.
 [whoo]
I've also added a Stooge Quotes page, in the Stooge Info menu, after jrvass asked about one.  I will be adding in several more features over the next few weeks.
 [artist]

It seems like you're getting into a "fine tuning" mode at this point, Rob, since the site was already looking really good, in my estimation. I kind of liked the left-side menu (maybe because I'm left-handed), but the new home page design is definitely cleaner. That is, on my monitor at work, which is newer and of higher resolution than the one I have at home (and I can't make a comparison right now, since my PC is still in the shop).

One suggestion: since the new, horizontal menu doesn't extend all the way to the right side of the screen, how about adding a tab for the "Special Forums," i.e., Music That Sucks and (ahem ahem), Pilsner's Picks, Swap Meet, and Dunrobin's Rants? I'm sure they'd all get more hits if they had more direct access like that.

8)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster

[whoo]
 [artist]

It seems like you're getting into a "fine tuning" mode at this point, Rob, since the site was already looking really good, in my estimation. I kind of liked the left-side menu (maybe because I'm left-handed), but the new home page design is definitely cleaner. That is, on my monitor at work, which is newer and of higher resolution than the one I have at home (and I can't make a comparison right now, since my PC is still in the shop).

One suggestion: since the new, horizontal menu doesn't extend all the way to the right side of the screen, how about adding a tab for the "Special Forums," i.e., Music That Sucks and (ahem ahem), Pilsner's Picks, Swap Meet, and Dunrobin's Rants? I'm sure they'd all get more hits if they had more direct access like that.

8)

Left-handed, eh?  I knew there was a reason why I liked ya!  We "sinister" types have got to stick together.  ("If the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handed people are in their right minds.")

You're right that these changes were mainly tweaks, but that left menu was starting to bug me.  At 800 x 600, the menu would get too long if I added any more lines, and it looked tacky if I let the frame use scrollbars.  Also, I noticed that at 800 x 600 several pages would show horizontal scrollbars in the main frame, since they were a little too wide for the space that was left, when the menu frame was there.  My only real alternative, if I kept the left frame, was to keep appending new links on to the existing menu links where there was room, and that was already getting clumsy and non-intuitive.  Since I'm planning on adding several more features, something had to give, and this dynamic menu makes it much easier for me to add new menu items.

The top frame bothered me too.  It looked good, but it took up a little too much browser space.  I didn't bother to modify the images or anything, though; I just narrowed the frame size so it ends just below the quote line.  (I had tried putting the site menu in the top frame, but the drop down menus weren't visible, since they opened below the botoom of the frame.)

I took your suggestion and added menu items for all of the message boards, just just the Special Forums.  They were in my first version of the menu, but I accidentally overworte that one, and hadn't bothered to add them in again.  But you were right, and it does make since to have them so they're back now.

And thanks for the compliments, Stoop and Loa!  I'm glad you like the changes. :D

Super Service!   [whoo]

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
A FURTHER UPDATE:

I've added an "About This Site" page with a brief history of ThreeStooges.net and  a diagram on the new site menu.
 [stooges]

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
THEMES ADDED TO THE MESSAGE BOARDS

I decided to take advantage of the wider space available for the pages, and I've installed a few different themes for the Message Boards.  You can switch themes by going into your Profile, and then click on the Look and Layout Preferences link under Modify Profile, and then finally look for "Current Theme: Default Theme (change)" at the top and click on "change."  You'll see a page listing the different themes, along with the ability to preview them.

There are several themes currently installed for you to choose from.  They only change the appearance of the Message Boards section, at least for now.  Maybe later on when I get time I'll look into incorporating the themes into the rest of the site.

Have fun!   [artist]

Offline Stoop

Wow, you weren’t kidding when you said “Super Service!”. [wink]
It takes an estimated 2,893 licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop.

Offline Lola-Lou

• Porcupine
  • Applehead
  • I know, I keep changing my name.The voices told me
WOW! Just when you think it can't get any better!
"I see" said the blind man peeing into the wind "it's all coming back to me now."

Pilsner Panther

Left-handed, eh?  I knew there was a reason why I liked ya!  We "sinister" types have got to stick together.  ("If the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handed people are in their right minds.")

There's an interesting story about that... about 20 years ago, the British Medical Institute did a study on left-handedness. It turned out that certain people of Scottish and/or Irish descent had a tendency to be left-handed, namely those with the surnames Carr or Kerr (I'm a Carr). They theorized that this was because the Carrs-Kerrs were descended from a line of Scots left-handed swordsmen; the ability to strike an opponent with the left hand— unexpectedly— gave them an evolutionary advantage, survival-wise.

It's probably true, since there's a lot of left-handedness in my immediate family, and we're nothing if not survivors (not to mention fighters).

The trouble is, we mainly fight among ourselves!

>:D

« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 06:43:01 AM by Dunrobin »