The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

THE CAPTAIN HATES THE SEA coming to DVD, 8/2

Linked Events

• THE CAPTAIN HATES THE SEA on DVD: August 02, 2011 - August 08, 2011

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
August 2, Sony's "Columbia Classics" library of MOD DVD-r's will add THE CAPTAIN HATES THE SEA (1934). Moe, Larry and Curly have bit roles as the ship's lounge orchestra.

"Columbia Classics" are sold thru several online sources, including Amazon. They're also available in a distribution partnership on Warner Brothers' MOD website The Warner Archive.

Offline falsealarms

This is unexpected news. I'll be in for this for sure. Even better, the release date is coming up very soon. I haven't seen this, but the cast looks solid: Leon Errol, Walter Catlett, Donald Meek, Akim Tamiroff, Lew Davis, Heinie Conklin, etc. Also John Gilbert's final role.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I want to buy it but $19.99 is simply too expensive. Are there any current coupon codes?
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline falsealarms

I want to buy it but $19.99 is simply too expensive. Are there any current coupon codes?

Not that I know of. I haven't bought it yet either (for the same reason). Sometimes they have deals, i.e buy 2 get 1 free, but nothing now.

Offline JazzBill

August 2, Sony's "Columbia Classics" library of MOD DVD-r's will add THE CAPTAIN HATES THE SEA (1934). Moe, Larry and Curly have bit roles as the ship's lounge orchestra.

"Columbia Classics" are sold thru several online sources, including Amazon. They're also available in a distribution partnership on Warner Brothers' MOD website The Warner Archive.

Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered it. When its Stooge related, I'm buying it.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Rich Finegan

A lengthy review of the film:

http://www.midnightpalace.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=256
Thanks for the link.
Pretty good review. The author seems to know his stuff BUT!!! - Shemp Howard died in 1937?!?!
And another error, not quite as colossal as that one:
This was not John Gilbert's final film, as stated. It's his final FEATURE film but not final film.

But I do appreciate the unusual way he writes the part of his review telling what happens to most of the characters by the end of the movie, but not which characters they are. That was distinctive.

Offline falsealarms

Regularly 19.95, this title is currently 15.96 (reportedly through 8/29, but I'm not sure about that). Either way, now's a good time to get it and save a few bucks.

http://www.wbshop.com/Captain-Hates-the-Sea-The/1000243546,default,pd.html

Offline locoboymakesgood

Thanks. Looks like it's time to buy it.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)