Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

More Than a Scarecrow

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Here's a 1-hour 1990 TV special, produced and directed by Sylvia Lewis, costar of BEDLAM IN PARADISE (1955).

MORE THAN A SCARECROW (1990) is a tribute to Ray Bolger (THE WIZARD OF OZ). Sylvia was Ray's costar on his 1954-1955 TV series THE RAY BOLGER SHOW, aka WHERE'S RAYMOND?, the show from which this TV special was compiled. Hosted by Ray and Sylvia's friend Donald O'Connor (SINGIN' IN THE RAIN), and it was written by their friend Richard Erdman (STALAG 17). Among the guests performing with Bolger, in addition to Sylvia, are Ray's nightclub partner and everyone's favorite Stooges costar Muriel Landers.

The special received some international play, but not in the United States. Sylvia recently received an opportunity for it to have some PBS play in Los Angeles, but the licensing fee offered was very low due to PBS budget cuts. So, Sylvia instead decided to upload it onto Youtube for anyone & everyone to see.

Offline Rich Finegan

Sylvia (the wondeful and generous friend that she is) gave me a copy of this program many years ago but asked me not to "spread it around" as she was still hoping to work out some arrangement to get it shown on TV. Too bad that hasn't worked out as we hoped. It really is a great program and (I think) would fit perfectly on TCM (even though they rarely show TV-related programming) or as an A & E Biography or somewhere on PBS (budgets allowing).

So, now that Sylvia has shared it here on YouTube, check it out, especially fans of Sylvia, Ray Bolger and Donald O'Connor.