Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

A sad commentary

Offline falsealarms

http://www.soundonsight.org/the-%E2%80%9Cgray-ones%E2%80%9D-fade-to-black/

From a film professor partly talking about the reaction his class had to old movies/old stars.

Offline metaldams

Interesting article, thanks for sharing it.  I'm already aware how old movies are this unknown thing amongst most people of a certain age.  I've been watching them for more than a decade and this past weekend was only the second time I had a friend who's not from the Internet and close to my age who actually watched an old movie with me.  My roomate watched CASABLANCA last year but that's one of the only old films he likes and this past Saturday a friend and I watched MODERN TIMES together.  He enjoyed it.  I just wonder if that was the first time MODERN TIMES shared a double bill with AC/DC's LET THERE BE ROCK concert film, but I digress.

The part about the prestige movies being big events shown only in big cities upon initial release is interesting.  This past weekend, my parents were telling me they went on a school field trip when they were 9 to see BEN-HUR, but they had to go all the way to New Haven, which was a half hour away.  That was the only place in the area showing BEN-HUR, at least according to my parents.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Bum

What a great article! More proof that the more technologically advanced we become, the dumber we're getting [society in general, not US!]. I can't count how many people I've encountered whose excuse for their ignorance of old movies and music is "Well how would I know anything about THAT? That was made before I was born!".  A co-worker recently got my hopes up when she told me she was into "old movies"..... until I found out that meant the early-2000's. I think she thought I was kidding when I said that my own definition of an "old" movie was something from the 1950's or older.... and even including the 1950's in that definition was being generous. Pitiful!

Offline metaldams

I think she thought I was kidding when I said that my own definition of an "old" movie was something from the 1950's or older.... and even including the 1950's in that definition was being generous. Pitiful!

I don't know how old you are, as I know this could have an effect over what one considers an old movie, but I was born in 1978.  My definition of an old movie is anything before 1975.  The reason why I choose that year is because that's when JAWS came out, and STAR WARS a few years after, and that ushered in the modern blockbuster, highly marketed movie.  Plus it was around the time I was born.

Of course I recognize the huge differences between 1943 and 1969, but JAWS kind of ushered in what I consider to be modern.
- Doug Sarnecky