Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Edson Stroll Dead at 82, Stooges costar

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Edson Stroll, costar of SNOW WHITE AND THE THREE STOOGES (1961) and THE THREE STOOGES IN ORBIT (1962) has died at age 82. Edson is also known for costarring with Ernest Borgnine, Tim Conway and Joe Flynn on the television comedy McHALE'S NAVY (1962 - 1966).

Television and film actor Edson Stroll, a longtime Marina del Rey resident, dies

Edson Stroll, a longtime Marina del Rey resident who worked as a television and film actor, appearing in several successful series including McHale’s Navy, died of cancer July 18. He was 82.

Stroll was born in Chicago on Jan. 6, 1929.

After serving in the U.S. Navy, he studied acting and singing at the American Theater Wing in New York City and received a Fulbright Scholarship for voice performance, followed by an artists’ contract for performance and advance study by the National Broadcasting Company.

Stroll appeared on stage with Broadway and National companies in Stalag 17, Shangri La, Fair Game, Carousel, Oklahoma, Showboat, Three Wishes for Jamie, Pajama Game, On the Town, The Heiress, Bells are Ringing, Best Man. He also performed in the New York Shakespeare Festival for three seasons.

As a television actor, he starred as Virgil Edwards for 4 years on McHale’s Navy. His TV and film credits include The Twilight Zone, GI Blues, Death in the Arena, Marines Let’s Go, Congressional Investigator, Hawaii Five-0, Virginian, Ironsides, Sea Hunt, Gunsmoke, Hogan’s Heroes, and Snow White and the Three Stooges.

Recurring roles were in Dallas, Simon & Simon, Dynasty, Hotel, and Murder She Wrote. His voice-over skills were used for voice acting, directing of audio productions and voice-over training. Stroll was the technical advisor and consultant for the McHale’s Navy series and a member of the Screen Actors Guild, AFTRA, and AEA.

Stroll became licensed by the U.S. Coast Guard to captain commercial vessels, and in 1969 he became a marine surveyor to survey all types of vessels and marine facilities, including the S.S. Catalina. He had a reputation for delivering expert opinions as a witness in marine court cases and delivering in-depth surveys, Marine Accident Reconstruction and damage reports.

Along with a Cal DPH Inspector/Assessor License, a Cal EPA Registered Environmental License, and a Certified Real Estate Appraiser License, Stroll had an Ultrasonic Nondestructive Level II designation. He was a member of the American Arbitration Association Commercial Panel and was an OSHA HAZWOPER and emergency first-responder.

As a resident of Marina del Rey, Stroll was a member of the Marina Venice Yacht Club and the Classic Yacht Association, who loved boating and being on the ocean. He also loved opera and singing for his friends, and had a great love for animals, especially his two Yorkies, friends said.

Stroll is survived by Anita Winters, and his pets, Eddie and Sugar Baby. A private scattering of his ashes will be held in his memory.

Offline Faeriegirl

• Shemp's Darling Dilly
  • Grapehead
  • Dreaming of Shemp
    • I Surf for the Freedom!!
May he rest in Peace, I thought him a great actor and wonderful performer in SW&TTS he did a wonderful job, great singing voice too.
Shemp: Moe! Larry! Wait for me!! *hits himself with shovel*
~ Who Done It?

Offline Lefty

As a fan of McHale's Navy, I say, R.I.P., "Virgil."  There are now 5 survivors of the 10 main performers of the show (Borgnine, Conway, Wright, Yoda, Hastings), plus Gavin MacLeod from the first two years.