Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

How Did You Get Into the Stooges?

stooged and confused

I recall watching them at a very early age (3 or 4) and my mother HATED the fact that I would like to see them on TV. This was during the 60s and I think they were on WGN Channel 9 in Chicago. From junior high (when I really began appreciated their timing and skills) to high school, I saw them on WFLD Channel 32. I don't recall a time when I wasn't viewing the Stooges shorts on TV, film fests, VHS, laser disc or DVD.

Dog Hambone

I started watching them at a very young age, about 3 or 4, when I think TBS was airing the shorts. But I didn't become a hardcore nut about them until rediscovering the boys on the Family Channel's "Stooge TV", even though the shorts were butchered to fit 3 inside one hour.
I remember that We Want Our Mummy really got the scissors put to it. Oh, well...

Yeah, I remember "Stooge TV" on the Family Channel. It was bad but at the time, it was the only game in town. Nobody else was showing them at the time, & the remastered DVDs had not been released.

Speaking of the DVDs, I remember being surprised by a lot of "new footage" when I watched them. The shorts had been badly butchered to fit tv schedules with plenty of advertising, & in some cases, had original footage I wasn't even aware of. It was a pleasant surprise to say the least.   

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

I recall watching them at a very early age (3 or 4) and my mother HATED the fact that I would like to see them on TV. This was during the 60s and I think they were on WGN Channel 9 in Chicago. From junior high (when I really began appreciated their timing and skills) to high school, I saw them on WFLD Channel 32. I don't recall a time when I wasn't viewing the Stooges shorts on TV, film fests, VHS, laser disc or DVD.

Hmm . . . Were they still showing the Stooges on WGN in the 1990s? I know that it was when I was living in Chicago in that decade that I started watching them, though I don't remember the channel; and I know I didn't have cable television.

Offline FineBari3

I didn't start watching the Stooges until around 1993, although my dad had taped them on WPTT Pittsburgh sonce 1985-86. :laugh:

YES!

WPTT is where I discovered the Stooges in or around 1978. WPTT was a throwback UHF station that broke down all of the time, just like stations would have in the 1950's. 

They used to show the Stooges TWICE a day! Once from 6am-8am, and then from 4pm-5-pm!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline falsealarms

I was introduced to them at the tail end of the 1980's when I was only a few years old. My Dad got me watching them, though I hardly suspect he thought the Stooges would turn into a lifelong interest of mine. Back then, they were on WSBK-38 (which I haven't received in a decade or more). I especially recall staying up late for the New Years Eve marathons. As far as I can remember, it was love at first sight for me and the Stooges. I've favored Shemp for most of the time I've liked the Stooges and even recall liking the Besser shorts as a kid. I was strangely happy when WSBK aired one of those.

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
I was back East visiting for Christmas I believe my freshman year of high school and I watched them on New Year's Eve.  I thought they were absolutely hilarious, and I've been into them ever since.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline Frank Rizzo

My dad grew up watching The Stooges, he introduced them to me when I was about 10 years old, been a fa ever since (I'm 25 now).

Adramelech

When I was about 4-5 years old I would goto my Grandparents house every Sunday. Once they said hello I was pretty much left alone and was bored. So I would lay on the floor, turn on their tv and watch The Three Stooges in the morning. Since then I have been a huge fan forever. In Highschool I had knee surgery that kept me out of school for an entire year. Half of it I could barely walk so I would watch The Three Stooges constantly.

Offline ILMM

I first saw the stooges on the Goodtimes video Simple Hilarious. It had the four ''PD'' short and a two movie trailers.
I also had their 1998 five tape set. Goodtimes and other companys like them is how i got into classic comedy.
"That must be Nick Barker.... he's disguised as a black banana."-Shemp

Offline Mike Lipincranz

From what I can recollect considering this is the place and there is no other place I recon so I would have to say the late 1960's on WSBK TV-38 out of the wonderful city of Boston, Massachusetts.  My grandfather loved the stooges along with Pabst Blue Ribbon and Chesterfield Kings.......he would laugh like hell and Moe was his favorite (considering he looked like Moe a bit).  At that time i believe all 190 shorts were aired and UPN38 as it is called now still airs them Sundays at 9AM and sometimes saturdays after college basketball, and always I mean always with the New Year's Eve marathon......I miss those days and I miss my grandpa.  :-[

Offline pipboytaylor

As a kid growing up, my sister and I would roll out of bed on a Sunday morning and watch the Little Rascals at 8am and The Stooges at 9am. I was 5yrs. younger, so I usually didn't always make it up early enough to catch the Rascals every time but I usually never missed the Stooges. Three shorts in a one hour time slot. Great memories.

I fear the Stooges will get left behind with the younger generations. I hope not but I hear very little talk of the Stooges around kids of today. Too much exposure to everything else on the tube, little of which is even a third as good as the Stooges.

Offline archiezappa

I fear the Stooges will get left behind with the younger generations. I hope not but I hear very little talk of the Stooges around kids of today. Too much exposure to everything else on the tube, little of which is even a third as good as the Stooges.

Don't give up yet!  I know three children (ages 10, 8, & 2) that love to watch the Stooges.  Yes, they are my children.

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
Don't give up yet!  I know three children (ages 10, 8, & 2) that love to watch the Stooges.  Yes, they are my children.
Me too!  I'm 19. :)
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline vomit

I 1st enjoyed the beauty of the subtle nuances of Stooge Hilarity back in the mid 70s.  Dad would just be getting home from work, and we kids would be waiting at the couch.  Channel 50 (WKBD) from Detroit would be on, and the Stooges would have an hour to bond us three together.  So that makes me a 3rd generation fan (My grandpa liked 'em too)...and my kids 4th gen fans (we watched the entire DVD series in order).

Long live the Stooges!!! ;D
Specto Caelum!

Offline sardenga123

I watched them as a child when I was about 12. I found the autobiography written by Moe Howard right before his death. Since then I have readnumerous biographies on all of the stooges as well as other comedians.

Offline stoogie

I saw them in the third game when I did a class on black and white movies (That was about a decade ago). Since then I've been hooked. I own all of there 180 columbia shorts just for the record (on dvd).

Offline QuinceHead

I got into the Stooges through my older brother, who was always watching them on TV.

I grew up in southeastern Massachusetts, and like several other posters, Channel 38 (WSBK-TV) was a Stooge haven.  Every Sunday morning, from 11 a.m. to 12 noon, they'd show a block of three shorts; after a while, they even showed them in the correct order!  ;D  Goodness knows how many times we watched the run of all 190 shorts -- although we quickly learned to give the Joes a wide berth because they just didn't compare to the rest...

I remember watching The Three Stooges Meet Hercules at a special after-school showing at my junior high school, and I remember watching the annual New Year's marathon on Channel 38 through my college years.

Had rather a long period where I read a lot about the Stooges (non-fiction books, biographies, etc.) but didn't really watch them because I felt like the shorts were burned into the back of my skull!  :D  But since the excellent DVD releases, I've been dipping my toes here and there...

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline MR77100

Offline Featherbrain

Hmm . . . Were they still showing the Stooges on WGN in the 1990s? I know that it was when I was living in Chicago in that decade that I started watching them, though I don't remember the channel; and I know I didn't have cable television.

Seven-month-late reply: I don't think the Stooges were on WGN after the late '60s-early '70s. WFLD (channel 32) ran them beginning in the '70s and for years after that. "The Curly Shuffle" by the Jump 'N the Saddle Band makes reference to "Comedy Classics on late night TV." The band was from Chicago and the reference was to "Comedy Classics," the 10:30-11:30 p.m. show on which the Stooges (and, occasionally, the Rascals, IIRC) were shown nightly on WFLD.

My first exposure to the Stooges was on WGN in the '60s. Fellow Chicagoans may remember Bob Bell (best known for his portrayal of Bozo) as Andy Starr, who hosted the show. The premise of the show was that "Andy" was an old geezer who was the projectionist at the Old Odeon Theatre. He also showed the Columbia shorts of Buster Keaton and Andy Clyde, and he read letters and jokes sent in by kids before each film.

John L
Are you married or happy? Or who cares?

Offline Bum

I was lucky enough to have TWO introductions to the Stooges: [circa] 1970 and again in 1978. Let me explain.....

My earliest memories of the Stooges were seeing them at age 5-6 on Pittsburgh's WTAE. I looked forward to watching them every morning before heading off to Kindergarten and first grade [the Stooges were already such an influence that for my Kindergarten class pic, I quickly combed my hair down towards my eyes so I could look like Moe!]. As everyone here knows, WTAE and Paul Shannon played a big role in the Stooges' "comeback" in the late '50's by being one of the first stations to play the Columbia Shorts. I'm assuming that they played them continuously through the '60's, but by 1971 their run on WTAE was about to come to an end, and in fact the Stooges wouldn't appear on a Pittsburgh TV station again until the end of the decade. Before that dry spell, however, I was lucky enough to get a decent amount of exposure to the shorts. Although most of my memories would eventually fade over time, even at such a young age, I was able to permanently retain certain scenes throughout the rest of my childhood. Some of the things I remember from back then:

I distinctly remember running from the room in terror when IDLE ROOMERS would come on, because I was scared to death of the Wolfman character. Obviously I couldn't read then, and didn't know the title of the film, but I knew when I saw the film with the elevator and its "pointy arrow dial", that meant the wolfman was coming on soon and it was time to leave the room!

I also remember my favorite scene from back then: I would absolutely squeal in delight when I'd hear "Give me dat fillum!", and would laugh hysterically. I can also remember wondering why sometime the scene would be real long [with Shemp's "Nyah-Nyah's" and lots of running between the crates], and sometimes the scene would be short, which was always a letdown [I obviously had no awareness of the "remakes" back then].

I have no recollection of Joe Besser, but I must have seen some of his shorts because I can remember certain films where Moe had his hair combed back. It boggles my mind now to think that when I was originally watching these most recent films [the Besser ones], they were just over ten years old!

And then one day, without warning, the Stooges were gone from the local airwaves, and for the rest of the '70's, all I had were my memories. During this period, I can remember my dad giving me some "history" on them, such as that there were "two Curlys" and the first one was dead, and that Larry had died just a few years back [actually, when he told me this "fact", Larry and Moe were both still alive, unbeknownst to me at the time]. A few years later, the Saturday morning ROBONIC STOOGES cartoon premiered, and as proof of how starved I was for the Stooges at this point, just let me say that I actually was entertained by this show! Seven years had passed since I had seen the Stooges "in the flesh", however, and while seven years is a blink of an eye now, when you're thirteen, seven years was an eternity. I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever see the "real" Stooges ever again.....

Then came the magical year 1978: A local UHF channel, WPTT, went on the air, and it was through Channel 22 that I was to discover, for the first time, I LOVE LUCY [unbelievably, I Love Lucy was something else that was missing from Pittsburgh TV for the whole decade], PERRY MASON, OZZIE AND HARRIET, DENNIS THE MENACE, the Max Fleischer [and later Famous Studios] Popeye cartoons, THE DEFENDERS, THE OUTER LIMITS, THE KING AND ODIE, THE MOTHERS-IN-LAW...... and also to re-discover the Stooges! At this point, WPTT wasn't carried on our cable system, so I had to go down to my basement and watch on a tiny rabbit-eared black and white set. Also, as Mar-Jean already pointed out, WPTT was prone to "technical difficulties" [I remember one morning watching Gilligan's Island where the image was upside-down and the film and audio were running backwards!!!]. Nevertheless, this ultra-high-frequency, ultra-low-budget station was responsible for forging some of my lifelong passions, with the Stooges leading the way...

I watched the shorts every chance I got and upon reading the barely-visible copyright dates, was astonished to discover that the earliest "Curly's" went as far back as the mid-1930's and the "Joe's" were still going in the late '50's- unbelievable. In 9th grade, my buddy would come down to my homeroom before school started for the day and we's discuss that morning's Stooges flick. We'd also ponder what happened to Curly on mornings when they'd show one of those mysterious films where "his voice had changed" and he wasn't as funny.

A year later, my cable company started carrying Cleveland's WUAB, and to my amazement, I got to see a few dozen MORE Stooges shorts that hadn't been shown on WPTT. To this day when I watch such shorts as RESTLESS KNIGHTS, MOVIE MANIACS, and BLUNDER BOYS, it reminds me of Saturdays at Noon watching "Superhost" AKA Marty Sullivan on channel 43.

The Stooges were back in my life, and this time there would be no disappearance. The floodgates opened in the 1980's, and the following three decades would include the purchase of Moe Howard's book [and all the ones that followed], Stooge fests [including one at the Holiday House in 1983 which featured a return appearance of the retired Paul Shannon] the $10 purchase of a Moe cancelled check at one of the fests, the purchase of a VCR and the recording of almost all the shorts from TBS, the discovery of the Healy MGM shorts and features, the Fan Club, the amazing DVD sets, and this message board. The Stoogeum is next!

Sorry for the length of this, but I think I wrote it as much for myself as for everyone else!

Offline FineBari3

Also, as Mar-Jean already pointed out, WPTT was prone to "technical difficulties" [I remember one morning watching Gilligan's Island where the image was upside-down and the film and audio were running backwards!!!]. Nevertheless, this ultra-high-frequency, ultra-low-budget station was responsible for forging some of my lifelong passions, with the Stooges leading the way...

No, I don't remember that, but I do remember that any time WPTT ran 'Some More of Samoa', the audio was off by about 3 seconds.  I recall the scene with Curly trying to retrieve the plant out of the alligator was quite annoying!

Yes, I remember discovering 'I Love Lucy' there as well as 'Get Smart'  (which was on right before Lucy at 7:30 pm).  I discovered The Monkees and the Stooges on the same day because of that station! 

Do I know you?  I went to a couple of Doug Drown's festivals at the Stanley and the Syria Mosque.  I worked at Jerry's Records in Oakland, and he was a regular customer there.  Have you been to the Fan Club Meetings? I live up in Evans City now.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Bum

No, I don't remember that, but I do remember that any time WPTT ran 'Some More of Samoa', the audio was off by about 3 seconds.  I recall the scene with Curly trying to retrieve the plant out of the alligator was quite annoying!

Do I know you?  I went to a couple of Doug Drown's festivals at the Stanley and the Syria Mosque.  I worked at Jerry's Records in Oakland, and he was a regular customer there.  Have you been to the Fan Club Meetings? I live up in Evans City now.

Wow, I had forgotten all about that SOME MORE OF SAMOA synch problem! One of the other problems was with GRIPS GRUNTS AND GROANS; during the last minute of the film, when Curly is beating the hell out of everyone with the bell, the picture would become unstable and start flopping a bit [as if you were messing with the old "vertical hold" TV button]. It seemed to get worse with every subsequent airing! I have a friend in Toronto, Ohio who taped a lot of WPTT Stooges around 1980. I don't know if they contain any good stuff [like Kevin Evans newsbreaks or Captain Pitt], but he's been threatening to convert these old Beta tapes for years. I might have to kick him in the ass again to get it done- YouTube beckons!!!

You don't know me, but I know all the stuff [Jerry's, etc] that you know. So as to not bore everyone with non-Stooge matters, I'll send you a PM someday. The ONLY reason I've never gone to a Fan Club meeting is that they're always a few weeks after another annual hobby-related function I attend. I work weekends, and it's tough to get more than one weekend off per month. Someday!

Offline Curly4444

The stooges were on my local TV station on the weekends. As a kid i was allowed to stay up late on the weekends. One night when nothing was on, i discovered these funny old guys. After watching just a few shorts i was hooked. A few weeks later i was a stooge fan.