Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection

BeAStooge · 201 · 60901

Linked Events

• DVD Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection: October 25, 2011 - October 31, 2011

Offline Seamus

It's been awhile, but I wanna say BLOTTO?  I remember that being a great short, Anita Garvin was awesome in it in addition to the boys.  She gives Thelma Todd and Christine McIntyre a run for their money in the "hot and funny" female department.

Blotto indeed.  The scenes at the club were a delight from start to finish, and the short ends with a ridiculous/hilarious car explosion.  I thought Garvin delivered a suitably nasty performance, but fell short of being in Todd and McIntyre's league.  The latter two make those kinds of roles look easy.  Garvin came across as kinda stage-y.

Offline falsealarms

JR.com has this for 35.99 - limit 2 per customer. No idea how long this lasts, but I wouldn't wait. I can't believe it got this low this fast.

http://www.jr.com/product/movie/pv/_1254731V/

Offline falsealarms

JR.com has this for 35.99 - limit 2 per customer. No idea how long this lasts, but I wouldn't wait. I can't believe it got this low this fast.

http://www.jr.com/product/movie/pv/_1254731V/

Deal dead.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I wonder what's going on with this set. Amazon hasn't had it in stock for a couple of weeks now, and it's scant to be found with the exception of a few retailers.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline falsealarms

Something fishy is going on with this set. A post at HTF says Amazon is supposed to have it back in stock in the near future, but nothing yet, and no mention of other retailers that no longer list it (WalMart, JR for two).

Later at HTF, there was a quote from Paul Mular via L&H author Scott McGillivray that says: "Shortly after its release Amazon withdrew the Laurel & Hardy DVDs from their listing and posted an "Item Under Review" notice. This means that they have received an excessive amount of returns due to scratched & damaged discs, so they decided to cut their losses & stop selling it themselves."

It seems increasingly likely that this is a packaging issue. If that's the case, we can't be surprised. That design never should have been used.

8 copies are on Amazon via 3rd parties - the current lowest is $188.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/313141/vivendi-and-rhi-press-release-laurel-hardy-the-essential-collection/270

Offline metaldams

Something fishy is going on with this set. A post at HTF says Amazon is supposed to have it back in stock in the near future, but nothing yet, and no mention of other retailers that no longer list it (WalMart, JR for two).

Later at HTF, there was a quote from Paul Mular via L&H author Scott McGillivray that says: "Shortly after its release Amazon withdrew the Laurel & Hardy DVDs from their listing and posted an "Item Under Review" notice. This means that they have received an excessive amount of returns due to scratched & damaged discs, so they decided to cut their losses & stop selling it themselves."

It seems increasingly likely that this is a packaging issue. If that's the case, we can't be surprised. That design never should have been used.

8 copies are on Amazon via 3rd parties - the current lowest is $188.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/313141/vivendi-and-rhi-press-release-laurel-hardy-the-essential-collection/270

Well whatever's going on, a little birdie told me my copy is waiting in a few weeks, so hopefully it plays alright.

Anybody have any of the silent shorts?  Years ago, I bought all 10 volumes of DVD's, so I have 'em all.  Some of the silent films are quite funny, and I'll post more about them when I have more time, just wondering if there are any other fans of the silent shorts?
- Doug Sarnecky

ThumpTheShoes

Well whatever's going on, a little birdie told me my copy is waiting in a few weeks, so hopefully it plays alright.

Anybody have any of the silent shorts?  Years ago, I bought all 10 volumes of DVD's, so I have 'em all.  Some of the silent films are quite funny, and I'll post more about them when I have more time, just wondering if there are any other fans of the silent shorts?

I have the image dvd's as well as the Michael Agee 12-disc-set-that-almost-never-was, and technically, still isn't. I always enjoyed watching those silents while having a few drinks on the weekends. Many of the silent pictures provide just as many laugh out loud moments for me as do the talkies.

Offline metaldams

I have the image dvd's as well as the Michael Agee 12-disc-set-that-almost-never-was, and technically, still isn't. I always enjoyed watching those silents while having a few drinks on the weekends. Many of the silent pictures provide just as many laugh out loud moments for me as do the talkies.

The 12 disc set, I assume you mean this?

http://www.elevenmemories.com/

Not bad, I've never even heard of it.  The whole Laurel and Hardy "pre-history" thing is fascinating because only DUCK SOUP and DO DETECTIVES THINK? can qualify as Laurel and Hardy films in my opinion, and even those have caveats.  Interesting to see Stan Laurel and Oliver hardy in films together and not being Laurel and Hardy.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline locoboymakesgood

The 12 disc set, I assume you mean this?

http://www.elevenmemories.com/
Wow, Agee finally put this set out? I had no idea. This thing had been in development for eons. I may have to pick it up if its the best quality of the silents.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

xraffle

Amazon has had this title out of stock for the longest time. I wonder if this is because too many customers requested refund/exchanges due to damaged discs that was caused by the poor packaging. Very interesting!

ThumpTheShoes

Wow, Agee finally put this set out? I had no idea. This thing had been in development for eons. I may have to pick it up if its the best quality of the silents.

You'd be hard pressed to find it. The set was only available through the elevenmemories site. The discs never really made it through the developmental stages, and were released to only a few people (after much persuasion!) before things were shut down due to complaints of fraud.

The shipped discs had no artwork to speak of, only text indicating press date and the title. The slim cases had artwork that was printed on a laser printer. Color, yes, but incomplete graphics and incorrect content/title lists.

Quality-wise, the silents look more or less (leaning toward less) the same as what's on the Image discs. The main draw of the set, really, is the BBC doco about The Boys called Cuckoo which, I presume, wasn't actually really licensed for release.

The whole set had the potential for awesomeness; however, the whole situation was very poorly handled from start to abrupt finish.

Offline falsealarms

Film historian Stuart Galbraith IV reviewed this set a couple days ago and gave it the highest possible honor: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/51170/laurel-hardy-the-essential-collection/

After a several weeks absence, this is now back in stock at Amazon.

Offline Seamus

Still working through these, and just got to Our Wife a couple nights ago.  Maybe it's because I was a little tipsy at the time, but that one had the highest laugh count of the ones I've seen so far.  So many gut-busters in that one.

Offline metaldams

Offline Seamus

Saturday can't get here soon enough.

I think I'll watch another one right now.  How 'bout that, Secret Santa?

Offline metaldams

I think I'll watch another one right now.  How 'bout that, Secret Santa?

I actually have the majority of these films (have never seen COME CLEAN and ANY OLD PORT, so I'm especially looking forward to those), so I can watch them now too.  I have them scattered on DVD's (which I've burned from VHS tapes) from old prints, and they've served me well over the years, but a restored and organized set with commentaries is really going to be a godsend.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Two good shorts to be waiting to see for the first time, especially COME CLEAN, which is way up on my list. Look for Walter Long (THREE LITTLE PIGSKINS) in ANY OLD PORT.

Offline metaldams

Well, I did get the set and have gotten through the 1st three discs so far and I'm enjoying it.  The foreign language films offer some interesting revelations with a few extended gags and plot twists.  The only one I've seen before this is NOCHE DE DUENDES, which combines THE LAUREL-HARDY MURDER CASE and BERTH MARKS, which just happen to be my least two favorites up to this point!  Interesting how the Spanish version of CHICKENS COME HOME add magician acts to stretch it out to feature length!  Kind of like s substitute for romantic sub-plot, I guess.

I forgot how much I love BELOW ZERO.  Just the snow atmosphere and Hardy playing the upright bass is enough to make me love it, even though it's obvious he doesn't really know how to play since his left hand doesn't even fret a note.  But hey, that's part of the charm, I guess.  Funny movie too, I love Harry Langdon's FIDDLESTICKS for the same reasons.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Offline metaldams

What did you think of COME CLEAN and ANY OLD PORT?

COME CLEAN was a bit disappointing.  The whole thing could've been solved if they just told their wives this psycho suicidal woman was following them.  It's funnier when they hide stuff from the wives like in SONS OF THE DESERT and BLOTTO, amongst other films, because, you know, they were actually misbehaving.  COME CLEAN didn't come across as believable, but I did enjoy the elevator scene. 

ANY OLD PORT got stronger as it went along.  GREAT boxing match.  I actually enjoyed the boxing match more in this one, (and I'll catch blasphemy for this on this site), than PUNCH DRUNKS, (and I'll catch blasphemy for this in the nerd academic community), and CITY LIGHTS.  The beginning was a bit depressing, never could find comedy in abusive relationships, but the film got better as it went along.

I'm through the first six discs now and am taking a slight break.  I used a gift card I got to get The Little Rascals box that came out a few years back.  I'm gonna go through four discs of that one before going back to disc 7 of the L&H box, so needless to say, I'm watching a lot of Hal Roach stuff.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

On disc 3 of the Little Rascals set so far.  It's very obvious why Spanky got such a huge push.  The kid was cute, had charisma, and an unbelievable knack for doing an extended take for such a young kid.  CHOO CHOO would have to be my favorite short so far.  Great slapstick and I remember seeing this short at about 9 or 10 and thinking it was a step above the others even then.  Looking forward to seeing more.

Now, for the most unexpected of Laurel and Hardy tributes, I bring you Venom's "Dead of Nite."  If cacophonous early black metal is not your thing, I suggest fast forwarding to 3:23, but it's kind of funny hearing the tribute in context.  I was listening to this song in the car on Friday night and the Laurel and Hardy tribute just came out of nowhere.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I used a gift card I got to get The Little Rascals box that came out a few years back.  I'm gonna go through four discs of that one before going back to disc 7 of the L&H box, so needless to say, I'm watching a lot of Hal Roach stuff.

Our Gang related, so this may interest you...

AntennaTV runs THE JACK BENNY PROGRAM early weekday mornings.  Jan 24 3:30AM they're repeating "The Story of My Gang" (10/62) with guest Darla Hood.  Jack's cast and Darla do a spoof of the Our Gang comedies, with Darla as 'herself,' Jack as Alfalfa, Don Wilson as Spanky and Eddie "Rochester" Anderson as Buckwheat.

Offline Mark The Shark

Our Gang related, so this may interest you...

AntennaTV runs THE JACK BENNY PROGRAM early weekday mornings.  Jan 24 3:30AM they're repeating "The Story of My Gang" (10/62) with guest Darla Hood.  Jack's cast and Darla do a spoof of the Our Gang comedies, with Darla as 'herself,' Jack as Alfalfa, Don Wilson as Spanky and Eddie "Rochester" Anderson as Buckwheat.

Thanks for the heads-up, Brent!

I also just want to chime in and say it's interesting to me as a Laurel & Hardy fan to read some of the comments from people about the new L&H collection, through the eyes of Stooge fans who haven't been as familiar with L&H. Some very interesting perspectives, thanks. I hope everyone is enjoying the new set. I actually saw one in a store a few days ago at an FYE, priced at $99.99 -- ouch!

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead