Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Writer: Shemp was a "poor excuse" for a Stooge

Offline falsealarms

One newspaper columnist wrote this last week -

"Shemp, Curly Joe and Joe Besser were poor excuses for Stooges, and certainly not in Curly Howard’s comedic category."

This is undoubtedly one of the most idiotic statements about the Stooges that I've seen in a long time. It's one thing to prefer Curly to Shemp -- a lot of people do -- but there's also a sizable faction who prefer Shemp. But to say Shemp was a "poor excuse" for a Stooge is one of the dumbest things I've seen in eons. Not only that, but to lump Shemp in with Besser and DeRita is unthinkable.

http://www.charltoncountyherald.com/articles/2011/07/06/opinion/editorials/doc4e14859c023b3693896582.txt

Personally, I think it's a bit unfair even to lump Joe in with Curly-Joe; but at least that's understandable.

But Shemp, the favorite of my entire household, being a "poor excuse for a Stooge"? Them's fightin' words where I come from!  >:(
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline FineBari3

I left my response to this article and the moron who wrote it!  (There is a place to put your remarks after the article).
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline QuinceHead

Thanks for bringing this to our collective attention.

As Bugs Bunny used to say all the time, "What a maroon!"

I'll certainly agree that Curly and Shemp had different approaches to comedy, and that they certainly weren't in the same comedic category, but to call him a "poor excuse for [a] Stooge" -- especially when he originated the Third Stooge role back in the Ted Healy days -- shows a distinct lack of research.

As Moe used to say, "Ohhhhhh -- ignorant, eh??"

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

"Shemp, Curly Joe and Joe Besser were poor excuses for Stooges, and certainly not in Curly Howard’s comedic category."

This is undoubtedly one of the most idiotic statements about the Stooges that I've seen in a long time. It's one thing to prefer Curly to Shemp -- a lot of people do -- but there's also a sizable faction who prefer Shemp. But to say Shemp was a "poor excuse" for a Stooge is one of the dumbest things I've seen in eons. Not only that, but to lump Shemp in with Besser and DeRita is unthinkable.

http://www.charltoncountyherald.com/articles/2011/07/06/opinion/editorials/doc4e14859c023b3693896582.txt

Offline QuinceHead

Hey folks,

FYI, I posted a reply to this article -- I see that others from here have done so as well!  I did my best to be civil, but...  [pie]

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline Curly4444

You gave em hell guys & gals, good going. That writer was indeed a un-informed moron. Shemp had his own unique style of comedy, and just because you didn't get it, didn't make him a poor excuse" for a Stooge.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yawn...it's just the guy's opinion and I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Unfortunately he's far from the only Stooges fan that thinks that way; whenever Howard Stern talks Stooges it's "everything after Curly left sucks".

There's a term the kids today on the Internets use for people who get angry when someone writes or does a video review panning something they like; it's called being "butthurt".
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
I wouldn't go so far as to say that Shemp was a "poor excuse" for a Stooge.  I like him, but he's not Curly.  Nowhere close.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline ProfessorStooge

I also found that statement incredibly surprising. How can anyone possibly say that Shemp was a poor excuse? He was a Stooge before Curly. It's true that many fans favor Curly, but to label Shemp a "poor excuse" is totally wrong.

Offline ThunderStooge

It's been said a few times already, so I guess I'm just preaching with the chorus.  Although I regard Shemp and Curly in an equal light, I can understand why many fans prefer Curly's more spastic style.  But to lump Shemp with the Joes as "poor excuses" to be very inaccurate.  Especially when you observe their work indepth, and set biases aside.
"Wake up and Go ta sleep!"

xraffle

Shemp was an excellent replacement for Curly. It's hard to fill in Curly's shoes, so I couldn't imagine anyone else doing a better job than Shemp. Curly was very energetic and was full of silliness. Shemp, on the other hand, had a more laid back type of comedy. His style was more natural and some people don't seem to like that. So, they assume that he's bad, which is obviously not true.

His style was more natural
I think that's what the Shemp fans in my house like about him. Curly seems less like an actual person than Shemp does -- or any of the others, for that matter.

Offline metaldams

I was looking at those replies, and somebody posted under the name "metaldams."  I can tell you that wasn't me.  I'm not going to get too upset about it since that is not my real name, but geez folks, if you want to respond to this guy, try using your own moniker.

Frankly, this is just one guy's opinion and like Jim, I don't take too much stock in it.  I'm totally used to non hardcore fans dissing on Shemp, and they are entitled to their opinion, just like I'm entitled to disagree.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
Shemp was an excellent replacement for Curly. It's hard to fill in Curly's shoes, so I couldn't imagine anyone else doing a better job than Shemp. Curly was very energetic and was full of silliness. Shemp, on the other hand, had a more laid back type of comedy. His style was more natural and some people don't seem to like that. So, they assume that he's bad, which is obviously not true.
Despite what I just said, I have to agree with this fact.  When you compare Shemp with Joe and Curly Joe, it is clear that he is the best replacement.

So, to rephrase what I had posted before:  replacement-wise, Shemp is terrific. 
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

I was looking at those replies, and somebody posted under the name "metaldams."  I can tell you that wasn't me.
I was wondering about that. It makes me wonder whether the person was embarrassed to be a Besser fan, or (worse) was only satirically pretending to be one!

Offline metaldams

I was wondering about that. It makes me wonder whether the person was embarrassed to be a Besser fan, or (worse) was only satirically pretending to be one!

I have my theories, but let's just say us posters who have been posting for a decade know what I'm talking about.   ;D  There's a forum on this site dedicated to such a phenomenon.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline vomit

Just shows some people should not have children.  Shemp was the BEST....and one of the original stooges.  End communication.
Specto Caelum!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Just shows sompe people should not have children.  Shemp was the BEST....and one of the original stooges.  End communication.

So anyone who has a differing opinion on Shemp Howard than you should not procreate? Or would this apply to anything, as in "anybody who disagrees with me about anything should not have children"?
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline vomit

So anyone who has a differing opinion on Shemp Howard than you should not procreate? Or would this apply to anything, as in "anybody who disagrees with me about anything should not have children"?

Absolutely!  What I say is absolute.  Don't question it!

Sorry for the sarcasm.  Just think that opinion stinks.  Don't read too much into it, I had about 4 Blatz in me when I posted that!
Specto Caelum!

Offline QuinceHead

Sorry for the sarcasm.  Just think that opinion stinks.  Don't read too much into it, I had about 4 Blatz in me when I posted that!

Is your name Hassan Bin Sobah??   ;D

"I've had a few too many myself!"
"Shaddap!"

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Absolutely!  What I say is absolute.  Don't question it!

You sound like me in the MTS forum.

It's just so many times whether it's an opinion like this guy's or a review of a video game or movie on the internet I've seen people absolutely flip their lids when the person disagrees with them. With video games in particular it is bad, with people basing their opinion of the review on whether they agree with rather than if the review itself was good or not. I can kinda understand since most people don't want to hear they spent $50-$60 on shit but really everyone should be allowed to state their opinion on something without being cursed out or called an idiot for it.

If I disagree with someone's opinion and feel passionate enough to say something I'd rather try to open the door for intelligent discourse about it than call the other person "retarded" or something of the like.

Offline vomit

You sound like me in the MTS forum.

It's just so many times whether it's an opinion like this guy's or a review of a video game or movie on the internet I've seen people absolutely flip their lids when the person disagrees with them. With video games in particular it is bad, with people basing their opinion of the review on whether they agree with rather than if the review itself was good or not. I can kinda understand since most people don't want to hear they spent $50-$60 on shit but really everyone should be allowed to state their opinion on something without being cursed out or called an idiot for it.

If I disagree with someone's opinion and feel passionate enough to say something I'd rather try to open the door for intelligent discourse about it than call the other person "retarded" or something of the like.

No problem....not trying to stir the pot too much!!  Have a good one!
Specto Caelum!

Offline JazzBill

Offline Faeriegirl

• Shemp's Darling Dilly
  • Grapehead
  • Dreaming of Shemp
    • I Surf for the Freedom!!
Personally I'm a big fan of Shemp Howard, once voted the Worlds Ugliest Man Alive, He had the comedic timing and the sweet innocences (yeah right) that made me like him so much, heck my husband is a Shemp fan too and tries ot act like him at times, though he has thankfully not blown up a stove.... yet
Shemp: Moe! Larry! Wait for me!! *hits himself with shovel*
~ Who Done It?