Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Before They Were Stars: The Music Version

Offline metaldams

Thought of a cool new music thread, how about musicians and bands before they were stars?  You Tube is good for this.  Here's some for starters.

"Can I Sit Next To You Girl" - AC/DC 

With pre Bon Scott singer Dave Evans.  Check out the glam clothing on Malcolm, and is he playing leads?  Angus looks the same.  This song was later recorded with Bon Scott.

"Seasons of Change" - Fraternity

A pre AC/DC Bon Scott playing flute, looking like a Jethro Tull reject, and so not being Bon Scott.

"Dazed and Confused" - The Yardbirds

The Yardbirds aren't exactly obscure, but this towards the end, and pre dates a much more famous Led Zeppelin version.  Jimmy Page is obviously on guitar.

Anybody else have cool stuff?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

This is a neat idea, but I'm drawing blanks right now. The first guy I thought of was Clapton.

Offline falsealarms

Offline Hammond Eggar

Here's Mick Jagger and Keith Richards in their pre-Stones band Little Boy Blue & the Blue Boys performing Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode" and "Little Queenie."  These performances date back to 1961.  The Rolling Stones wasn't formed until the following year.  These are definitely rare ones.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline metaldams

Will definitely have to check that out tonight, Hammond.  I'm at work now and can't see youtube, but what you posted sounds like it could be interesting.  I'll have to see if I can dig out some crazy ones.  Anybody interested in seeing Lemmy in Sam Gopal?   ;D
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Hammond Eggar

Before becoming a star musician in her own right with her 1993 debut album Tuesday Night Music Club, Sheryl Crow served as back-up singer for artists such as Michael Jackson and Don Henley.  In 1987 Crow toured with Jackson on his Bad tour.  Here the two duet on Jackson's "I Just Can't Stop Loving You."

[ Invalid YouTube link ]
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Hammond Eggar

In 1957, John Lennon was leader of a local Liverpool band named the Quarrymen.  On July 6, 1957, the band played a now-historic set at the summer fete of St. Peter's Parish Church in Woolton.  It was there that John met Paul McCartney and the rest, as they say, is history.  Surprisingly, recordings exits of a portion of the Quarrymen's performance.  Here's a sample.  It's John and the band performing the songs "Puttin' On the Style" and "Baby, Let's Play House."  The recording is rather crude, but its historical significance is enormous.

Offline metaldams

You know what blows my mind about those amateur recordings of Mick, Keef, and Lennon?  How bloody youthful and AMATEUR they sound.  I can think of several local musicians or kids I grew up with, myself included, who play better than that, yet those guys went on to do amazing things.  Just goes to show we all have to start somewhere and it's usually drive, as much as talent, maybe more so, that gets one famous.  I'm kind of glad the cassette copies of me jamming with friends when I was 15 are lost, though. 
- Doug Sarnecky