Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Jerry Lewis - ERRAND BOY/BELLBOY

Offline falsealarms

See if you can spot a Stooge supporting player in the boardroom scene - you may not recognize him at first as his hair isn't dark as it was in Stooge shorts. Starts 5 min in. Speaks at 6:30.

later on, a Besser-era supporting player. 5:00 in. Pretty much right after you see that Stooge supporting player, you see a Shemp-era player.

Speaking of Besser, he has a small role in this film also.

Offline falsealarms

A great exchange between Lewis and Berle from another Lewis movie, THE BELLBOY:

Offline metaldams

I'll watch these scenes later, but I have to admit, I've never been much a Jerry Lewis fan.  I'll try to keep an open mind.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I had little exposure to Lewis' films prior to the past week or so, but thought THE BELLBOY and THE ERRAND BOY (the two films I posted clips from here) were both pretty good. I knocked out both in one night, so I must have liked what I saw. THE BELLBOY has the added bonus of having the luxurious Fontainebleu Hotel in Miami as its set (it makes me wish I was a guest there). Supposedly, Lewis would do the movie during the day and then perform at the hotel at night. THE ERRAND BOY lends a great look into the Paramount lot circa 1961.

Offline metaldams

I had little exposure to Lewis' films prior to the past week or so, but thought THE BELLBOY and THE ERRAND BOY (the two films I posted clips from here) were both pretty good. I knocked out both in one night, so I must have liked what I saw. THE BELLBOY has the added bonus of having the luxurious Fontainebleu Hotel in Miami as its set (it makes me wish I was a guest there). Supposedly, Lewis would do the movie during the day and then perform at the hotel at night. THE ERRAND BOY lends a great look into the Paramount lot circa 1961.

THE BELLBOY I've seen and is halfway decent because Lewis is pretty much doing pantomime the entire film.  He's not a bad physical comedian and he can write a gag, to me Lewis's problem is when he talks and tries to portray a character, then I find him annoying.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Maybe not the best comparison, but Lewis struck me as a superior version of someone like Lou Costello. Lewis does the whole dumb, child-like thing better. I have the same problem with Costello as you do with Lewis. When he (Costello) speaks, I find him annoying.