Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Supporting Player in Mayberry

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
For fans of the Stooges and Mayberry, another "new" supporting actor has been identified. Not included in past cast listings; this player's path having crossed with the Stooges is a very recent discovery.

In this classic moment from THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, can you ID the supporting player?  (Don Knotts worked with the Stooges on three STEVE ALLEN SHOWs, but that is not the answer I'm looking for.)

Hint: The player was in several Columbia shorts.

[youtube=425,350]5nKlI5D89xE[/youtube]

Offline ILMM

I'm going to make a wild, blind guess and say it's the guy who's really the one singing.
"That must be Nick Barker.... he's disguised as a black banana."-Shemp

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I'm going to make a wild, blind guess and say it's the guy who's really the one singing.

Correct.

And he is?  And his Stooge films?

Offline ILMM

I really, honestly couldn't say. I only said him because I was pretty sure it couldn't be anyone else.
"That must be Nick Barker.... he's disguised as a black banana."-Shemp

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
... it's the guy who's really the one singing.

Delos Jewkes played 'Capt. Burke' in HALF SHOT SHOOTERS (1936), his only speaking role in a Stooge comedy. He also had bit appearances in POP GOES THE EASEL (1935), PARDON MY SCOTCH (1935) and TERMITES OF 1938 (1938).

We recently followed some clues to ID 'Burke' as Delos, and his family has confirmed the information.

Delos dubbed many actors in musicals, especially at MGM; was a soloist 'voice' for a couple musical numbers in A&C's MGM films RIO RITA (1942) and LOST IN A HAREM (1944). The voice of 'God' in DeMille's THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1956).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 03:47:16 AM by BeAStooge »

Offline Hammond Eggar

Don Knotts worked with the Stooges on three STEVE ALLEN SHOWs

Don't forget, Knotts and the Stooges also appeared in 1963's It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Don't forget, Knotts and the Stooges also appeared in 1963's It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

"Appeared in"... but, they did not work together in that movie.  They did work together on THE STEVE ALLEN SHOW.