Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Stooge finds at Big Lots

Offline falsealarms

If you have a Big Lots nearby, it might be a good time to pop in and see what
they have. I was at one today and spotted ARABIAN NIGHTS (1942 Shemp Solo) for
$3.00. I already had that, but did see a Marlene Dietrich 5 movie set for $5.00.
One of the films on there was the 1941 Shemp solo FLAME OF NEW ORLEANS. I
believe he briefly appears as a waiter in that one.

I didn't see this at mine, but on a related note, others have seen Volume 2 of
Universal's W.C Fields Collection. Not long ago this set was selling for upwards
of $50. Some Big Lots have had it for $5. That one isn't the W.C Fields set with
THE BANK DICK (that one is on Volume 1). But Volume 2 has (arguably) the
funniest Fields film, THE MAN ON THE FLYING TRAPEZE.

Inventory at Big Lots can vary dramatically and change frequently, so your
mileage will certainly vary.

Offline Bum

Jeez, and I thought I was getting a bargain a few months back when I got the Fields set on Amazon for $25! I'm going to have to start paying more attention to these so-called "junk bins".......

Offline falsealarms

I can't believe that set is $5, either. And these are new DVDs, not used ones. I got mine last year for about $35. I don't mind, though. I've gotten plenty of use out of mine. I got ARABIAN NIGHTS last year for 6 bucks online. This is a better deal... no S/H.

Other old movies I saw included Powell/Loy entry GREAT ZIEGFELD (3 bucks) and the Clark Gable entry MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY (5 bucks). I took a chance on the latter.

Sometimes these DVDs will have a small slash through the UPC seal but that has never affected the disc.

Offline QuinceHead

Out of curiosity, has anyone else found the WC Fields collection at their local Big Lots?

I've been to just about every single one in my area, and haven't found it anywhere!   :-\

If anyone feels like being a regular guy and procuring me a set in good shape -- I'll pay media mail shipping -- feel free to contact me!

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline falsealarms

There's been various sightings by people posting to that thread at DVDTalk, but none in the past week or two I don't think.

New copies are available via Amazon 3rd parties for as low as 9.99, an unthinkable price just months ago. They probably got theirs at BL.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000LC4C0Q/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1310499941&sr=8-1&condition=new

Offline QuinceHead

Thanks for the amazon heads-up, but I still think that $5 plus shipping would be cheaper than $9.99 plus shipping...  ;)  And it's not that crucial that I add this set to my piles of DVDs bought in anticipation of one day having enough time to actually watch them...  ::)

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

There's been various sightings by people posting to that thread at DVDTalk, but none in the past week or two I don't think.

New copies are available via Amazon 3rd parties for as low as 9.99, an unthinkable price just months ago. They probably got theirs at BL.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000LC4C0Q/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1310499941&sr=8-1&condition=new

Offline Rich Finegan

Out of curiosity, has anyone else found the WC Fields collection at their local Big Lots?

I've been to just about every single one in my area, and haven't found it anywhere!   

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead
Yes, a good friend found a few (he went out right away to search for them after I told him I'd heard they had been spotted by others at Big Lots stores and I don't have any Big Lots near me). He got one for me but said he saw only a few in stock. This was about 3 or 4 weeks ago in southern Mass. and northern CT.
I've already asked him to be on the lookout for more, as I one of my brothers would like one, too.

I wish they'd be offering Vol. 1 at that price, too.

Offline QuinceHead

Yes, a good friend found a few (he went out right away to search for them after I told him I'd heard they had been spotted by others at Big Lots stores and I don't have any Big Lots near me). He got one for me but said he saw only a few in stock. This was about 3 or 4 weeks ago in southern Mass. and northern CT.
I've already asked him to be on the lookout for more, as I one of my brothers would like one, too.

I wish they'd be offering Vol. 1 at that price, too.

Southeastern Mass and Rhode Island are my stomping grounds; guess that's why I couldn't find any -- your friend must've cleaned them out already!  :-\

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead