Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Classic Sitcoms and Gays

Boid Brain · 120 · 24069

Offline ThunderStooge

Started off as a trivia question about Sitcoms and homosexuality, then the 'sitcoms' pat of the discussion was dropped, eventually, the Boid finally meeting his fate.  I should not be surprised in the direction this thread went.  No matter what forum, it always seems to happen whenever a sensitive topic is involved. 

This is why I tend to avoid discussions like these.  But I might as well offer my two cents.  I am honestly indifferent about the whole issue.  If you're gay, bi, straight, I have no problem.  I will admit that I too would feel a little uncomfortable if someone of the same sex tried to hit on me, but I would be polite, and say "Sorry, I'm not interested."  And if we share a few hobbies, I would ask if we could be friends.
"Wake up and Go ta sleep!"

Offline Seamus

When my wife introduced me to a gay colleague of hers a while back, he immediately gushed, "Oh, he's cuuuuuute!" then went on to tell me how popular I'd be at one of the local gay college bars.  I felt nothing but flattery.

Offline metaldams

Started off as a trivia question about Sitcoms and homosexuality, then the 'sitcoms' pat of the discussion was dropped, eventually, the Boid finally meeting his fate.  I should not be surprised in the direction this thread went.  No matter what forum, it always seems to happen whenever a sensitive topic is involved. 

This is why I tend to avoid discussions like these.  But I might as well offer my two cents.  I am honestly indifferent about the whole issue.  If you're gay, bi, straight, I have no problem.  I will admit that I too would feel a little uncomfortable if someone of the same sex tried to hit on me, but I would be polite, and say "Sorry, I'm not interested."  And if we share a few hobbies, I would ask if we could be friends.

I think Boid was scheduled to meet his fate for a long time now, this thread was just the final straw.

Also, I think this is actually an interesting discussion, I have no problems with controversial topics when discussed intelligently. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Seamus

Also, I think this is actually an interesting discussion, I have no problems with controversial topics when discussed intelligently. 

Agreed.  And besides, homosexuality itself is becoming less controversial by the day, thank goodness.  The only real controversy in this thread was the crass homophobic slurs that Boid had a habit of dropping all over this board like napalm. 

Offline metaldams

I'm sorry to hear that.

This never happened at my church yet. But one thing does bother me though. My pastor (which is the priest in charge of a particular church) likes to wave at little kids while processing down the aisle at the beginning and at the end of the masses. It could be a harmless little wave, but the fact that he’s only acknowledging little kids as he processes does disturb me at times. Even if it means nothing, he should avoid doing that because of all the scandals going on. He could give the wrong impression.

In my church as a kid, another one of the priests would have a section of the mass where he'd invite all the children up on the altar to sit around him as he did the homily.  To my knowledge, this particular priest never molested children, but needless to say, once the scandal with the other priest happened, the children coming up to the altar stopped.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Quad 4's beat me to the punch in regards to priests molesting children, damn it! :p

My parents were both raised Catholic but my late mother made it point to not indoctrinate us children and did not take us to church or force feed us faith. She let us decide on our own and the results were two atheists and a "spiritual but not religious". My mother also fell into the later category and my father is one of those "lapsed Catholics" that never goes to church unless his wife is helping out with bingo. I find the Catholic Church to be utterly vile, moreso than most Christian sects.

I hate to sound like a braggart or a shit or a pig but all I'll say is this: I SHOULD have been high-fived instead of Doug.

I knew it was a only a matter of time before Boid got himself banned. I have only come across a person so clueless on these boards once in all my years, and that other person has an archive board in honor of his idiocy on this very forum. I gave him more than enough chances, perhaps too many, but better to throw him out late than never.

I concur with the "controversial topics": I am very interested in public discourse, which is why I pressed X for clarification on his stance.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

I'm also one of those spiritual but not religious Catholics. I think if they let the priest marry, loosened up on all that outrageous shit, they get alot more believers. But those money grubbers in the Vatican wouldn't like that. I believe in god, just not a big lover of organized religion.

Offline metaldams

Quad 4's beat me to the punch in regards to priests molesting children, damn it! :p

My parents were both raised Catholic but my late mother made it point to not indoctrinate us children and did not take us to church or force feed us faith. She let us decide on our own and the results were two atheists and a "spiritual but not religious". My mother also fell into the later category and my father is one of those "lapsed Catholics" that never goes to church unless his wife is helping out with bingo. I find the Catholic Church to be utterly vile, moreso than most Christian sects.

I hate to sound like a braggart or a shit or a pig but all I'll say is this: I SHOULD have been high-fived instead of Doug.

I knew it was a only a matter of time before Boid got himself banned. I have only come across a person so clueless on these boards once in all my years, and that other person has an archive board in honor of his idiocy on this very forum. I gave him more than enough chances, perhaps too many, but better to throw him out late than never.

I concur with the "controversial topics": I am very interested in public discourse, which is why I pressed X for clarification on his stance.

My only regret with Boid was I was looking forward to his argument about why the NL Central was better than the AL East, but oh well, he's gone, and I'm more than happy with it.  Not only was the guy routinely offensive, but he made posts and threads at a rate where in about a year, he'd have more posts than you and I, and we've been here MUCH longer than he has.  That's the last I will say about him.

My Mom was brought up Greek Orthodox but poo-pooed her up bringing and converted to Catholism when I received my first communion.  Interestingly enough, my grandmother passed away back in mid April, so I went to a Greek Ortodox service for her.  Very interesting.  Most of it is Greek, and the look of the church is very Mediterranean.   If the Catholic church is "The Hunchback of Notre Dame," The Greek Orthodox church is a Hammer Mummy flick.

My Dad total Catholic and believes it all to the letter, no variation.  Whatever works for him, I guess, but it's not for me.  I was a total believer until I was 18.  I took a religions of the world course and came to the realization that what most people believe is based on the culture they were brought up in more than any universial truth.  My Catholic side is all Eastern European and Italian descent, all I'm missing is the Irish.

I believe there could be a higher power, we have no proof either way.  I just believe all of man's perceptions of a higher power are probably skewed.  Another thing, I think the things Jesus says, whether he was real, a prophet, the son of God, or a figment of somebody's imagination, actually make a lot of sense.  The guy spoke of love, I just don't feel many organizations that act in his name promote the same thing.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
One thing I forgot to touch upon: the anti-homosexual stances of these churches can be traced back to the Old Testament and the reason for it is the same reason the Catholic Church is so anti-contraception. They want more Catholics. If you look throughout the Bible it puts homosexuality in the same category as pulling out before climax and masturbation. I can't remember the exact location of the passage but Onan either jerks off or pulls out of woman and his ejaculate hits the floor and the "all loving" Yahweh decides to kill him for doing so. The tribes back then wanted babies and thought that sex for anything other than procreation (anal, oral, pulling out, jerking off, homosexual) was against the needs of the tribe and the RCC still follows this.

The RCC is always been hypocritical. They even went ahead and changed the Second Commandment because they were making good coin with their "graven images". I don't understand how anyone can follow a church that went ahead and altered the "perfect word of God" and is really in this day and age a monolith of evil. The current Pope, Ratzinger, was a bonified Hitler Youth growing up and under the last administration was instrumental in covering up many a molestation scandal. If I ever had the opportunity I would spit in his face and flip him off. What a disgusting, wretched piece of shit. Let's not forgot that it took hundreds of years for the Holy See to acknowledge its role in the Crusades and apologize for it as well as only recently did they acknowledge their role and apologize for their part in the Holocaust.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

xraffle

I'm also one of those spiritual but not religious Catholics. I think if they let the priest marry, loosened up on all that outrageous shit, they get alot more believers. But those money grubbers in the Vatican wouldn't like that. I believe in god, just not a big lover of organized religion.

I know, right! This priest at my church loves to preach about how there's an extreme shortage of priests because people refuse to follow their calling. He claims that many young men today are called to be priests, but we're too distracted with all the noise in today's society and thus, we ignore God's calling. Whatever!! ::)

The reason why there's a shortage of priests is because we want to live a normal life. Plain and simple!

Offline metaldams

all the noise in today's society

I've never heard pussy referred to like that before.
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

LOL! He was actually referring to all the material things in the world today, such as iphones, ipads, flat screen TVs, video games, fancy cars, etc.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man

Pussy: the beautiful noise.

Offline ThunderStooge

I grew up a spiritual, but not religious Methodist.  My parents sent me to Sunday School each week, but we hardly ever attended service.  My family did not force us.  I am now agnostic.

Offline metaldams

LOL! He was actually referring to all the material things in the world today, such as iphones, ipads, flat screen TVs, video games, fancy cars, etc.

Yeah, I see what you mean.  Just my vulgar way of saying men like women and perhaps want to marry and have families, and being a priest does not allow that.  All other Christian sects, to my knowledge, allow clergymen to marry.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I grew up a spiritual, but not religious Methodist.  My parents sent me to Sunday School each week, but we hardly ever attended service.  My family did not force us.  I am now agnostic.

I found out recently my grandmother used to teach Sunday school.  This was before I was born.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline ThunderStooge

Pretty much.  If the Vatican would ease up on their priests' marital and sexual restrictions, they might find more people that might be interested.

Offline metaldams

Pretty much.  If the Vatican would ease up on their priests' marital and sexual restrictions, they might find more people that might be interested.

Not to mention weeding out a lot of the perverts who are currently priests. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Seamus

A very Catholic acquaintance of mine once tried to convince me that Pope Benedict was actually a "reformer," which struck me as so delusional a comment that my jaw hit the floor.  Between officially denouncing the use of condoms in Africa to prevent HIV (including lying about their effectiveness), his active involvement in keeping child rapists in circulation and shielding them from the law, and all the other backward-ass pronouncements he's made, it takes a huge amount of cognitive dissonance to seriously believe Ratzinger is a reformer.  Especially compared to his predecessor, who actually did seem fairly progressive.  At least John Paul officially pardoned Galileo!  A few hundred years late, sure, but at least the church under John Paul showed signs of catching up with reality.  I think John Paul was also the one who officially decreed that evolution is not incompatible with the Catholic faith.  I can't imagine Benedict making the same acknowledgement.

This guy also claimed that the stories of child molestation were wildly overblown by the media.  I think the fact that someone on this very board knows one of the perpetrators is an indicator of how deep that problem runs.

Offline Curly4444

Not to mention weeding out a lot of the perverts who are currently priests.  

I think they were made into perverts. Man is a sexual animal, and when you implement all the restraints that the catholic church does, your bound to create a pervert. I'm surprised the catholic church didn't make all priest become Unic's.

Offline Seamus

Belated but much deserved high five, brah.  You did some good work in here today.

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
It's interesting that while the Catholic church officially denounces all those "evils," most practicing Catholics I know tend to be more liberal when it comes to homosexuality, sex, contraception, etc. 
Seamus, I'm one of the "loose Catholics."  I love God, I love going to church, I love Jesus, and I love my faith (sorry, Jim), but I have absolutely no problem with homosexuals.  In fact (I believe I've mentioned this before in a different thread), I've often questioned why people don't fall in love with their same sex.  That is not to say I'm questioning or bi or lesbian.  In fact, I'm straight. 

I don't know about sex.  I strongly support contraception use, but as far as sex itself, I believe in sex before marriage, but if it happens, it happens. 

And also, Boid is gone.  There is a God. 
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline Curly4444

Offline metaldams

I went to Catholic high school, and they absolutely teach evolution, so yes, it's true the Catholic church does not take a 100% literal interpretation of the Bible.  From my experiences, it is the Evangelical religions who believe in Adam and Eve and view the Bible as 100% accurate history.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man

And also, Boid is gone.  There is a God. 

No, there is a Jim who threw his ass out of here. You don't have to apologize for being Catholic: it's the Holy See I have a problem with not the followers.