Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Annie Sullivan and Helen

Offline Boid Brain

I was hit with an epiphany this AM. While watching a show about light, regarded to be the fastest thing in the universe, I was amused to see again some guy trying to tell me that when you look in a mirror you are seeing what you looked like 2 nano seconds ago. I nano sec for light to travel to the mirror, and 1 nano for it to bounce back to you.

Why is that bullshit? Because you can hold your finger up next to a star with your eyes closed, open your eyes and you will see your finger and the distant star at exactly the same time. Ergo, there is something INFINATELY faster than light: the speed of sight.

What has this got to do with Annie and Keller? Nothing. But it did trigger the epiphany. All my life I have been in total wonder of the Keller story, but now I must pronounce it a fraud. I believe that Keller was blind, but NOT DEAF. How could she be taught to sound words? By holding her fingers to Annie's lips? Impossible. She would have had to stick her hand into Annie's mouth to feel the tongue where 90% of the sound textures come from. Even if that was possible, the act of touching the tongue would garble the words.

It was considered a miracle that a "dummy" could learn the alphabet back then. And I give Sullivan credit for teaching her the "finger reading" technique. But to this day there has never been another blind and deaf person to do what Helen is supposed to have done.

What more proof? It never crossed my mind 'till this morning: it's impossible for a person in a state of isolation  to master speech and abstact concepts past the age of 7 .... I learned that years ago in a psycholinguistics class. A child's mind is like a computer when it come to learning speech in those 1st 5 to 7 years. There can be 10 different languages spoken in their house and the child will easily learn to speak them all.

This claim of isolation was verified 200 years ago by the study of the French Ferrel boy. It took years for him to learn "milk" and a few more words. He was NEVER civilized to any degree resembling normality.

According to the story, Helen was as a wild, unmanageable brat, much like the Ferrel boy. I don't buy it. I say she was a spoiled blind girl that was hard of hearing, but NOT DEAF.Kudos to Annie and Helen's parents for pulling a hoax that has survived without question for over a 100 years.

Offline Boid Brain

It's hard for me to believe that after 80 looks at this post that nobody has chosen to agree or disagree. This was like saying something like Babe Ruth or Einstein were frauds. Particularly YOU, S#1, I would expect a responce.

Is the topic just TOO heavy? Does it rattle the sensibilities to the degree that people just don't want to ponder it, like my assertion that Lincoln was the WORST president ever? That topic got no response either. Too heavy?

How about my "proof" that the speed of sight is infinitely greater than the speed of light? Is it to be ignored that I thought of it instead of Sagan and that dude in the wheelchair? I seek no accolades for my presumed insights, but dammit, I think I deserve some kind of response, pro or con.

Offline ILMM

Well, the reason I, and if I might be presumptuous of the other members of this forum, why they haven't responded
is that while I may disagree with what you said, I lack the knowledge to argue with you. In addition, I lack the energy
and personal desire to get in a potentially drawn-out argument about subjects I don't personally care about and don't
personally effect me.
"That must be Nick Barker.... he's disguised as a black banana."-Shemp

Offline Boid Brain

Well, the reason I, and if I might be presumptuous of the other members of this forum, why they haven't responded
is that while I may disagree with what you said, I lack the knowledge to argue with you. In addition, I lack the energy
and personal desire to get in a potentially drawn-out argument about subjects I don't personally care about and don't
personally effect me.
OK..fair enuff. I have been wondering what ILMM stands for....is it "I love Marilyn Monroe"?

Offline ILMM

OK..fair enuff. I have been wondering what ILMM stands for....is it "I love Marilyn Monroe"?

ILMM stands for the stooge line "I'm Losing My Mind", which always cracks me up.  :D
"That must be Nick Barker.... he's disguised as a black banana."-Shemp

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
So this is thread I have been "dodging" eh?

I do have some knowledge in this subject in that someone very close to me is Deaf (my girlfriend). I can tell you that there are differing degrees of Deafness and quite frankly you do not get to set the rules as to what constitutes Deaf. Also, not all Deaf people are mute, in fact most are not. The GF has a dB loss of 120+ in both ears, this means for intents and purposes she can't hear damn thing. She can voice a couple of words here and there but for the most part she is mute. When she does try to learn to voice a word she will put her hand around my throat to feel how I say it, and although I do not have enough knowledge of Ms. Keller to say so with certainty I would venture to guess that is the way she learned how to speak too.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown