Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Who am I?

Offline Boid Brain

In my time I was among the greatest of stage/screen performers....as a supreme egoist I would pull every trick in the book to sabotage my rivals.

I had a talent that took a lifetime to perfect, and to this day I have not been equaled. I'm no Sinatra, or Barrymore or Bruce Lee, but an odd combination of the three. My sum being greater than the parts.

Who am I?

Offline Boid Brain

I was a powerful man, but had no connection with sports per se....but I did have a weakness that limited my travel abroad: I could not STAND to be on a boat.

I had one more weakness: A love bordering on obsession for my dear Mother.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Steven Segal.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Boid Brain

Steven Segal.
No, but I see where you got that guess....my bad that I did not tell you that I have been dead for decades!

One last clue...I did not die by natural causes. I was killed.

Offline Boid Brain

As an afterthought: Tho' being out weighed by 100lbs I would kick Segals ass...(Bruce Lee wudda gave me some problems)

OK, I can't resist giving another clue: I did some of my best work in water.

At this point I don't see how my identity escapes this forum.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Steven Segal was a joke guess, lol. I'll take a real shot and say Steve McQueen.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Boid Brain

Steven Segal was a joke guess, lol. I'll take a real shot and say Steve McQueen.
A reasonable guess...McQueen was a tough dude. He did all his own stunts on "Wanted Dead or Alive". But I was much tougher. I did ALL the stunts in my movies, not just falling down from a stage punch but even the life threatening ones. Yakima Kannuck (sic) himself could not double for me. Only a crazy man would take that job.

I flew my own plane but never drove a car....I remained married to the same woman for life.... I was so good at what I did that I would often do it upside down.... I was a Jew that never went to Temple. The few times I did go all I wanted to do was GET OUT.

Offline ILMM

We give up, who is it ?
"That must be Nick Barker.... he's disguised as a black banana."-Shemp

Offline ILMM

Oooh, I was thinking it was a regular actor. I never knew Houdini appeared in anything.

Offline Boid Brain

Oooh, I was thinking it was a regular actor. I never knew Houdini appeared in anything.
Well, I said that he was noted for stage and screen. He had a series of silents where he showed off his stuff. He nearly drowned doing one stunt.

There were hints within clues like "It ESCAPES me why this forum can't....and at the Temple he just wanted to GET OUT. Nobody picked up on it. I'm thinking from apathy.

Houdini was a virtuoso. A true genius. Mozart could look at a keyboard and see music. Harry could look at a key and visualize the tumblers. An innate understanding of things mechanical. He was benefited by years in dime carnivals where he picked the minds and techniques of seasoned tricksters. For example: swallowing and regurgitating keys.

But it was his physical power that put him over all others. That power gave him ungodly confidence to do things that others would never attempt. Like being put in a trunk and thrown into a freezing Detroit river. Or dangling upside down from a building in a strait Jacket. (it was easier to free himself upside down)

Of course you all know how he died. Fatigued after a performance he was surprised with his stomach muscles relaxed by a punch from a college athlete. An hour later was visibly sick, a raging fever followed and he STILL kept performing for 2 days, refusing treatment. His own hubris that made him what he was killed him.

Offline Boid Brain

I found this tonite....he was over 40 when he made these. And check out the "special effects" in the robot scene!

Offline ILMM

Here's a link about Houdini's death: <a> www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/houdini.asp [/url]

Offline Boid Brain

VERY interesting article! But it seems, that in effect, the blows DID kill Houdini, as he thought the pain was from them, and not an ailment, delaying treatment.

I love this shit...if you find anymore, please share.

Offline hiramhorwitz

Well, I said that he was noted for stage and screen. He had a series of silents where he showed off his stuff. He nearly drowned doing one stunt.

There were hints within clues like "It ESCAPES me why this forum can't....and at the Temple he just wanted to GET OUT. Nobody picked up on it. I'm thinking from apathy.

Houdini was a virtuoso. A true genius. Mozart could look at a keyboard and see music. Harry could look at a key and visualize the tumblers. An innate understanding of things mechanical. He was benefited by years in dime carnivals where he picked the minds and techniques of seasoned tricksters. For example: swallowing and regurgitating keys.

But it was his physical power that put him over all others. That power gave him ungodly confidence to do things that others would never attempt. Like being put in a trunk and thrown into a freezing Detroit river. Or dangling upside down from a building in a strait Jacket. (it was easier to free himself upside down)

Of course you all know how he died. Fatigued after a performance he was surprised with his stomach muscles relaxed by a punch from a college athlete. An hour later was visibly sick, a raging fever followed and he STILL kept performing for 2 days, refusing treatment. His own hubris that made him what he was killed him.
Are you aware that your thread has a Stooges connection?  Moe's wife Helen was Houdini's cousin. 

Offline ILMM

VERY interesting article! But it seems, that in effect, the blows DID kill Houdini, as he thought the pain was from them, and not an ailment, delaying treatment.

I love this shit...if you find anymore, please share.

Well, I remember hearing some years ago about a book that insinuated that Houdini was actually murdered!
The line of reasoning went like this; Houdini went around debunking spiritualists and that they murdered him for revenge, or to keep him quiet or something. I never read it or even know what it is called, but if you're really into Houdini it might be worth looking up.

Offline Boid Brain

Well, I remember hearing some years ago about a book that insinuated that Houdini was actually murdered!
The line of reasoning went like this; Houdini went around debunking spiritualists and that they murdered him for revenge, or to keep him quiet or something. I never read it or even know what it is called, but if you're really into Houdini it might be worth looking up.
Oh yeah, I know about that. Some author tried to publicize his new book on Houdini and put out a release that his body was going to be exhumed to determine the "true" cause of death. No papers were ever filed, it was pure bullshit. And the book laid an egg.

Hiram, I have read everything I could on Houdini since I was a kid, but I've rolled it over in my mind and I DO NOT remember that about Moe's wife! Never too old to learn. Do you have any details about this connection? I'm guessing it was on his mothers side as I don't recall mention of any other Wiese family members coming over.

Offline hiramhorwitz

Hiram, I have read everything I could on Houdini since I was a kid, but I've rolled it over in my mind and I DO NOT remember that about Moe's wife! Never too old to learn. Do you have any details about this connection? I'm guessing it was on his mothers side as I don't recall mention of any other Wiese family members coming over.
I'll see what information I can gather at this weekend's annual Three Stooges meeting.  Moe's kids will be there and can probably provide details about their mother's ancestry.

Offline Boid Brain

I'll see what information I can gather at this weekend's annual Three Stooges meeting.  Moe's kids will be there and can probably provide details about their mother's ancestry.
OK....enjoy your trip.

Offline hiramhorwitz

I couldn't find the details of the relationship, but here's what Moe's son Paul said:

"All I know about Harry Houdini is that I believe he was a second-cousin to my mother and her two sisters. My mom once told me that when she was a kid, Houdini came by and tried to teach them card tricks. That's all I know. A few months ago, the Jewish Museum had a big exhibit on Houdini. It included, in addition to all the usual stuff, a life-sized photo of him in a bathing suit, positioned with his feet touching the floor of the museum. Visitors could take photos standing next to him. I brought my camera and Joanne took a photo with Houdini and me. The "action?" I'm poking Houdini in the eyes, of course!"