Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Dennis The Menace

luke795 · 17 · 5288

Offline luke795

Are there any fans of the 1959 Dennis The Menace TV Show, the 1986 Dennis The Menace cartoon TV Show or any of the movies?

Offline falsealarms

I like what I've seen of the 1959 series. I haven't seen it in a long time and am tempted to eventually snag season 1 ... season 2 is coming out this summer.

DVDTalk review of season 1: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/47184/dennis-the-menace/

Season 2 news: http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dennis-Menace-Season-2/15236

I've also seen the 90's movie... it wasn't too bad. Walter Matthau was good in it.

Offline JazzBill

The 50's series is on Antenna TV if you get in.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Are there any fans of the 1959 Dennis The Menace TV Show

Exteriors filmed on the Columbia Ranch backlot in Burbank. Rarely an episode without the houses, buildings, streets, and the park that can be found in many of the Stooges' films.

Offline Rich Finegan

Quote from: luke795 link=topic=4192.msg33722#msg33722 date=1302588202
Are there any fans of the 1959 Dennis The Menace TV Show?

I liked it as a kid, and would like to see it again.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I remember watching the 50's show as a kid on Nick At Nite and not being too impressed. I also remember watching the 80's cartoon and liking it, but I'm sure it hasn't held up well with time as is the case with the vast majority of 80's cartoons.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I never really cared it much and have only very vague memories of the show.  On the other hand, my little brother was a Dennis the Menace* kind of kid, so that may have had something to do with it.   ;)

* In fairness, he'd undoubtedly consider me as "Mr. Wilson."

Offline metaldams

Throw me into the category of I haven't seen either since I was knee high to a grasshopper.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline luke795

Joseph Kearns who plays the original Mr. Wilson looks and sounds so different in Jerks Of All Trades.

Offline ProfessorStooge

I watched the 1986 cartoon when I was a kid. Man, the memories stuff like that brings back. I also did see some episodes of the 1959 series and the 1993 film. Since Hank Ketchum passed away, who now draws the comic?

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
From Wikipedia:

"Hank Ketcham retired from the comic strip in 1994, turning the production of the strip over to his assistants Ron Ferdinand and Marcus Hamilton. They continued it after Ketcham's death in 2001, and they still produce it to this day."
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
From Wikipedia:

"Hank Ketcham retired from the comic strip in 1994, turning the production of the strip over to his assistants Ron Ferdinand and Marcus Hamilton. They continued it after Ketcham's death in 2001, and they still produce it to this day."

Also, the Sunday strips were ghosted by others since the 1950s, as were the comic books.

One of the earliest ghosts was Al Wiseman, who was assisted by Joe Messerli. Messerli was an artist for Western Publishing, and drew The Three Stooges comic books for several years starting in 1961.

Offline Lefty

I remember watching the "Dennis the Menace" show as a young'un on Sunday evenings, as well as the show that replaced it, "My Favorite Martian."  I still read the DTM comic strip in the Sunday paper.  I have no clue why the original show replaced the Wilsons (and the characters' first names) with other old people who looked and sounded nothing like the originals.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I have no clue why the original show replaced the Wilsons (and the characters' first names) with other old people who looked and sounded nothing like the originals.

Joseph Kearns died of a heart attack, before the end of season 3's production. He was replaced by Gale Gordon, who played younger brother 'John Wilson'; his wife's name was 'Eloise'.

'George and Martha Wilson' "departed on a world tour."

(Gale Gordon was asked by Lucy to join her new sitcom THE LUCY SHOW, but had already signed on to DENNIS and was unavailable. A year later after DENNIS was canceled at the end of its 4th season, Gordon joined LUCY's 2nd season as banker 'Theodore J. Mooney'.)

Offline Lefty

Thanks, BeAStooge!  I'm glad to know that after all these years.  Maybe with having the next 2 Fridays off, I should watch the episodes on Antenna TV those days.   [3stooges]

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
From THE DONNA REED SHOW "Donna Decorates" (Sept. 1960), a crossover episode with DENNIS THE MENACE. Unusual because although both were Columbia/Screen Gems productions that filmed on adjoining soundstages, they aired on different networks... REED on ABC, and MENACE on CBS.

[youtube=425,350]My3mVPh4ULI[/youtube]

Offline Boid Brain

Here he is in the old west.

&feature=related