Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Any Frank Capra fans?

Offline falsealarms

Is anyone here a fan of Frank Capra?

I've only seen a couple of his things (PLATINUM BLONDE and IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT) but enjoyed both, especially the latter. I haven't seen anything else he did, including iconic titles like MR DEEDS GOES TO TOWN, YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU, and MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON. I'm overdue to see those.

As these are Columbia films, various Stooge supporting players pop up in some of these. That's always a nice surprise when they pop up, as they did when I was watching another Columbia last week (THE DOCTOR TAKES A WIFE).

Offline metaldams

Is anyone here a fan of Frank Capra?

I've only seen a couple of his things (PLATINUM BLONDE and IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT) but enjoyed both, especially the latter. I haven't seen anything else he did, including iconic titles like MR DEEDS GOES TO TOWN, YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU, and MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON. I'm overdue to see those.

As these are Columbia films, various Stooge supporting players pop up in some of these. That's always a nice surprise when they pop up, as they did when I was watching another Columbia last week (THE DOCTOR TAKES A WIFE).

Never saw PLATINUM BLONDE, but saw all the others you mentioned.

MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON is especially great, and as it's been years, I'm due for another viewing.  Very powerful final scene.

Of course, Frank Capra also did IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, probably his most famous film and probably the one I've seen the most.

I also like the silent comedies he did with Harry Langdon, which is where he got his start.  Capra co-wrote a lot of the Sennett shorts and directed Langdon's TRAMP, TRAMP, TRAMP; THE STRONG MAN, and the totally bizarre LONG PANTS.  If Harry Langdon fandom, Capra's a controversial figure, as there is debate over who authored Langdon's character.  You can research that debate yourself. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Here's a GREAT scene from AMERICAN MADNESS (1932) ... won't see the full film until later this week.

[youtube=425,350]UP0MSt5g5WQ[/youtube]

- A banker who isn't worried about a profit?

- "Character is the only thing you can bank on and it's the only thing that will pull the country out of it's doldrums." (perhaps something we can use today)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
At Columbia, early-on, Capra struck up a friendship with Ed Bernds. At Capra's request, Ed served as a Sound Engineer on almost all of his Columbia projects.

Ed once mentioned to me that he suffered for decades from a chronic shoulder pain (which he constantly aggravated as an avid golfer). The cause of the pain?... operating the boom mike for the marathon session, filming Jimmy Stewart's filibuster scene in MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON. It wasn't weighted properly, and Ed didn't want to let Capra or Stewart down.

Offline Boid Brain

Here's a GREAT scene from AMERICAN MADNESS (1932) ... won't see the full film until later this week.

[youtube=425,350]UP0MSt5g5WQ[/youtube]

- A banker who isn't worried about a profit?

- "Character is the only thing you can bank on and it's the only thing that will pull the country out of it's doldrums." (perhaps something we can use today)
Such great dialogue for a 1932 film. And Houston at his best. I never saw this movie...something to look forward to.

Offline falsealarms

Great story about Bernds - talk about taking one for the team.

If that scene is any indication, that movie has outstanding dialogue. I think TCM airs AMERICAN MADNESS from time to time. It's on DVD as part of the Frank Capra Premiere Collection (not available separately). That set is currently 47% off on Amazon, which is why I jumped on it.

Offline metaldams

[youtube=425,350]6VvsMRtcdQU[/youtube]

The Strong Man

Not that I expect anybody to spend 75 minutes watching this on the computer, but scan around it if you'd like.  It's the first film Frank Capra ever directed, it's got Harry Langdon, and there's a future Stooge gag or two.  See what you can spot.

OK, I'll be a nice guy for once.  The part of interest for Stooge fans starts at 39:15 or so.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Final Shemp

• I'm sawin' a saw in half with a saw, see?
  • Applehead
I watched Mr Deeds Goes to Town last year for the first time.  It was fantastic.  I definitely need to seek out more Capra.

Offline falsealarms

I'm embarrassed to admit I've only seen the 2002 remake of MR. DEEDS. Even worse, I liked it at the time. My movie IQ was pretty low back then... I was 16-17 years old. I'm especially interested to see the original, especially with Jean Arthur in the cast. I've liked her quite a bit in the few things of hers I've seen (most notably EASY LIVING).

Anyone who hasn't seen PLATINUM BLONDE should if only for Robert Williams. He died just after the movie came out and if his performance there was any hint, he could have ended up as one of the top leading men of that era. Harlow's another plus, but she's better in LIBELED LADY.

Offline Final Shemp

• I'm sawin' a saw in half with a saw, see?
  • Applehead
I'm embarrassed to admit I've only seen the 2002 remake of MR. DEEDS. Even worse, I liked it at the time. My movie IQ was pretty low back then... I was 16-17 years old. I'm especially interested to see the original, especially with Jean Arthur in the cast. I've liked her quite a bit in the few things of hers I've seen (most notably EASY LIVING).

I enjoyed the remake when it came out too, simply on a goofy Adam Sandler level.  I was a teenager at the time, and loved Happy Gilmore, so something with Adam Sandler in it caught my attention.  I only watched it once though, and have little desire to see it again in my grumpy old age.

Seeing the Jimmy Stewart film was a revelation, though.  I was surprised that I was seeing the same story with more satisfying emotional impact and more sophisticated humor.  I'm very eager to see it again.

Offline falsealarms

I finally saw AMERICAN MADNESS (1932) - what a great movie. It seemed like something I'd like, but it was even better than that. It breezed right along for its 75 minute run-time and was filled with drama and intrigue. Walter Huston was terrific as the bank president and Constance Cummings was a knockout. The romantic subplot between the bank president's wife and an employee even worked quite well (Leonard Maltin had called the romantic subplot "idiotic" in his review on TCM). The bank sets were visually stunning as well.