Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

50's Music Thread

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Big points go to Bill for Sea of Love and minus points to Doug for the terrible Dio cover of What'd I Say. That was beyond awful and nowhere near as excellent as the original. You do get some redemption points for Buddy Holly on the backside though.

I think it's only fair to post the original by the one and only Ray Charles, which absolutely blows away anything Ronnie James Dio ever did in his life.

[youtube=425,350]xPP8w0wMRgQ[/youtube]

Just compare the two versions of the same song: it's not even close.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I just looked it up and Ronnie and The Prophets has to be from 1961 at the earliest.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

The Dio thing was more of a curio than anything else.  He was in his teens at the time and hadn't found his voice yet.  OF COURSE the original "What I'd Say" is better. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Of course I knew you knew that, I was just teasing because of your love of Dio's music and my disdain for it. It was also a good opening to post the Ray Charles original, which is one of the best songs of the 50's.

It's too bad vocal inflection can't be portrayed in type. Oh, and just to be a nit-picky dick, it's "What'd I Say" as in "What would I say" and not "What I'd Say" or "What I would say".

Offline metaldams

Ronnie James Dio is the only rock star I can think of who didn't find his voice until he reached his mid-30's.  Most other rock stars have burned out by that age, or at least are on auto pilot (see Jagger, Mick; or Richards, Keith).  He's also literally the oldest man to ever play metal, being born in 1942, and the only one who has musical roots about this far back.

Ironically, what got me listening again to the 50's rockers is the recent documentary about Lemmy from Motorhead.  He was born in 1945, and in addition to a cool scene where he's store shopping for a Beatles mono box set, the conversation he was having with Dave Grohl about all the 50's rockers made me want to do further exploring, listen again to what I already have, and also wish I was in the room for that conversation.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Snoop around this thread, you'll find other songs the Beatles covered like "Matchbox" and "Words of Love."  A few more.

[youtube=425,350]DVJ-R3yvSXc[/youtube]

"Long Tall Sally" - Little Richard

[youtube=425,350]z6xkT7FMyTc[/youtube]

"Money (That's What I Want)" - Barrett Strong

[youtube=425,350]Xd8nnkjrQHw[/youtube]

"Slow Down" - Larry Williams

Don't know how many of you guys like the early Stones albums (pre Aftermath), but there's tons of covers on those as well.  The Chuck Berry comp I have has literally 4 or 5 songs in a row The Rolling Stones covered.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms