Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

50's Music Thread

Offline metaldams

Since these threads seem to be popular, let's make one for the 50's. Early rock, jazz, Sinatra, Stooge novelty songs, whatever, just post it here if it was recorded between 1/1/50 - 12/31/59.  I'm not that knowledgable on 30's and 40's music, but if anybody wants to start a thread, obviously feel free, and I'll watch some clips with an open mind.

A friend of mine recently played me a Buddy Holly compilation and I was totally blown away.  I'm just trying to figure out what Buddy Holly comp to get now, as the one my friend played me was too short.  Still, this guy was WAY ahead of his time and you can tell the influence he had on the Beatles.  His songwriting was as sophisticated as early Lennon and McCartney's as well as the production and it's a shame he died at 22 so we can never see how he would've grown.

[youtube=425,350]ku5UeUT7yIQ[/youtube]

Peggy Sue

[youtube=425,350]m-EQMCpoV8c[/youtube]

Words Of Love

[youtube=425,350]9sg9XI7bYrA[/youtube]

Oh Boy
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

[youtube=425,350]9H4heyqcdJ8[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]LTRfRK0ahYs[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]O21xFX7QBpE[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]20Feq_Nt3nM[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]nvUW0n2TdWs[/youtube]

There's 5

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Here's some good 50's stuff:

Johnny B Goode - Chuck Berry

[youtube=425,350]6ofD9t_sULM[/youtube]

Good Golly Ms. Molly - Little Richard (looks like a King Ralph music video, but still a 50's song)

[youtube=425,350]kZ6h0kyqSRk[/youtube]

Elvis - Jailhouse Rock

[youtube=425,350]tpzV_0l5ILI[/youtube]

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Jim, your post made me think that I gotta post my favorite Chuck Berry song, then I realized it's from 1964!  I guess I'll add that one to the 60's thread tonight.  I actually have the Elvis KING OF ROCK 'N' ROLL box set that has all his 50's stuff, the GOLD compilation from Chuck which has 50 songs, and the GEORGIA PEACH comp from Little Richard.  All good purchases.

False, never really explored much the doo-wop stuff you posted.  I'll check those out tonight.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
You can't go wrong with any of those, though I hope the Elvis set includes more than his 50's stuff because you'd be missing out on some great post 50's Elvis.

Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two - I Walk The Line 1956
[youtube=425,350]eMFGjO6grvM[/youtube]

Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two - Folsom Prison Blues  1955
[youtube=425,350]bDktBZzQIiU[/youtube]

Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley 1955
[youtube=425,350]ewwe89dtEyE[/youtube]

Huey "Piano" Smith and the Clowns - Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu 1957
[youtube=425,350]0QR5s1aqE5k[/youtube]

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

You can't go wrong with any of those, though I hope the Elvis set includes more than his 50's stuff because you'd be missing out on some great post 50's Elvis.

I have the 60's and 70's sets on MP3.  Saw them on itunes once for $8.99 a piece (!), and snapped them up.  About the closest I can get to stealing that much music without actually stealing.

They're not complete for the decades like the 50's set, but pretty comprehensive.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two - Folsom Prison Blues  1955
[youtube=425,350]bDktBZzQIiU[/youtube]

I could be wrong but I believe the version of Folsom Prison Blues you posted is from 1968. It sounds like the one I used to have on 8 track.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline falsealarms

Frankie Lymon had a sad end. He was found dead in his grandmother's bathroom in 1968... heroin overdose. He was only 25, but it seemed like his career had already peaked.

And a big reason why anyone my age would know EARTH ANGEL because it was used in BACK TO THE FUTURE.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I could be wrong but I believe the version of Folsom Prison Blues you posted is from 1968. It sounds like the one I used to have on 8 track.

I also have a Little Richard video from the late 80's. You will have to cut some slack for the 50's stuff as it can be difficult to find a good sounding cut from 60 years ago. The song originally came out 1955 but that was from the concert at Folsom.

I saw a Frankie Lymon movie with Larenz Tate as Lyman. His problem career wise (besides being a junkie) was that the doo wop style really didn't last long on the charts.

Offline falsealarms

Here's an interesting video... a then-22 year-old Lymon lip-synching (to his boy voice) WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE in 1965... this might have been his last television performance. I don't know if that's his face at the very beginning, but if it is, he looks 22 going on 50. Those wild dances make this video even more interesting.

[youtube=425,350]NOToAnIq1bk[/youtube]

Offline JazzBill

I'm guessing this is from the 50's.

[youtube=425,350]7kGPhpvqtOc[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]MeWC59FJqGc[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]F8GwPuKL0e0[/youtube]

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I Put A Spell On You is from 56, Summertime Blues 58 and Elmore James' Dust My Broom is from 1951 so you're good.

Of course the great Robert Johnson originally recorded Dust My Broom in 1937.

Offline metaldams

I came across this guide on rateyourmusic.com about 50's - early 60's music and recomendations, seems pretty good.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Benimal/early_rocknroll_for_starters___/
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I don't know if that's his face at the very beginning, but if it is, he looks 22 going on 50.

You ain't kidding, remind me to stay away from heroin.  Cool video, though.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

SUMMERTIME BLUES is a classic.... hadn't heard that in awhile.

Here's another 50's fave of mine, from 1959

[youtube=425,350]SNYdcwunG7g[/youtube]

Offline JazzBill

You ain't kidding, remind me to stay away from heroin.  Cool video, though.

I knew three people who died from heroin overdose. It's nasty stuff.

Offline JazzBill

Of course the great Robert Johnson originally recorded Dust My Broom in 1937.

The great Robert Johnson is correct. He claims to have sold his soul to the Devil to be able to play a great guitar. When you have people like Richards, Clapton and Page looking up to you, that's impressive.

Offline metaldams

The great Robert Johnson is correct. He claims to have sold his soul to the Devil to be able to play a great guitar. When you have people like Richards, Clapton and Page looking up to you, that's impressive.

Yeah, I've heard that story.  I believe that's what the song "Crossroads" is about, the selling his soul to the devil thing, and now it's best known as a Clapton piece.  A pretty mysterious guy, as he was unknown in his lifetime, he died a young death, and I think only two pictures exist of him.

A friend of mine in high school had the Robert Johnson box set.  I should check that out for myself.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I knew three people who died from heroin overdose. It's nasty stuff.

My ex-girlfriend had a serious fascination with heroin, and I'd yell at her for even mentioning it.  I haven't seen her in a few years, but fortunately I don't think she ever tried it.

I don't know anybody who died of it, but one of the conductors in a college jazz band I was in was very open about his past troubles and did his damndest to make sure none of us went down that road.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Here we go, your daily dose of kick ass.

[youtube=425,350]8yRdDnrB5kM[/youtube]

Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On - Jerry Lee Lewis

[youtube=425,350]RPQwtalHNNk[/youtube]

Matchbox - Carl Perkins

[youtube=425,350]rO_r1drXn0I[/youtube]

Good Rockin' Tonight - Elvis Presley
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

[youtube=425,350]50_iRIcxsz0[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]sZYjc57V55U[/youtube]

I remember these when I was a youngster.

Offline falsealarms

1955:

[youtube=425,350]AT_eOiTwtoQ[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]fBT3oDMCWpI[/youtube]

1956:

[youtube=425,350]P1eU_lDQaVM[/youtube]

1957:

[youtube=425,350]MW_SKWjrE2U[/youtube]

1959:

[youtube=425,350]VL9xOLpwI0I[/youtube]

Offline JazzBill

This one been covered a couple of times but I always liked this version the best, The 50's really had some great music.

[youtube=425,350]EroRtEUmZcU[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

[youtube=425,350]SAnyqhUQcS0[/youtube]

Ronnie Dio and The Prophets - "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?"

[youtube=425,350]t0Av1ZuGFII[/youtube]

Ronnie and the Redcaps - "What I'd Say"

Yes, it's a very young Ronnie James Dio, this is not a gag.  There's tons of these things on youtube.

I'm really digging some of these songs guys are posting, lots of good singing in this thread.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Been listening to Buddy Holly a lot lately, and I gotta post another one.  Such a great song here.  Very mature and this is what I mean by being on par with Lennon and McCartney's early songwriting.  The subtle dynamic shifts are quite nice too.

[youtube=425,350]P5AnUctpQXI[/youtube]

"Well...Alright"
- Doug Sarnecky