Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

THE DOCTOR TAKES A WIFE (1940)

Offline falsealarms

TCM is airing this Columbia screwball comedy Weds 4/6 at 1 AM ET. I finally got around to seeing it last night (it was in my unwatched movie pile) and I came away rather impressed. The plot is fun, the whole cast is good, and the film is well-paced. Loretta Young and Ray Milland worked well together in this film. Most of what I read about it indicated that it would be a decent film, though nothing particularly memorable. But I'd put it alongside some of the best screwball comedies I've seen... in the upper tier. A real underrated gem. Look for (at least) five appearances by different Stooge supporting players.

It's worth DVR'ing for sure. It's also on the ICONS OF SCREWBALL COMEDY VOL 2 set, which is how I saw it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032397/

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Cool!  Thanks for the heads up; I've got the DVR set to record it.   :D

Dog Hambone

Ditto for me, falsealarms. I DVR'd it & the missus & I will be watching it tonight. I look forward to seeing it.

By the way, TCM was showing several Ray Milland comedies last night, & we watched The Major and The Minor with Ginger Rogers. I had never seen it before, & I got a pleasant surprise when I noticed Richard Fiske (Sgt Hugh Dare & Lawyer Diggins) in a very small, but credited, role as Ginger's country bumpkin hometown boyfriend. Afterwards, I looked him up on IMDb too see what else he appeared in; but that ended on a somber note when his bio said he was killed in action in 1944 in World War II.

Offline falsealarms