Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Gaming Thread

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Do we have other video games enthusiasts here? At this house they are all over the place. Personally I have a PS3 but my crazy brother has a shitload of old consoles including a Colecovision he just bought that I was nice enough to clean out for him. I just played a little bit of Gorf (a Space Invaders clone) and Donkey Kong on it and it looks a lot better than the Atari 2600 but the controller is a bit clunky. It kinda feels like holding a brick in your hand and having the fire buttons on the sides doesn't help either.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

I was, but got a little bored/broke. Plan on getting back into it. I have ps1, ps2, Nintendo 8-bit, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Atari 2600, Dreamcast, and genesis. Plan on getting a PS3 and Wii.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Not bad, I'll have to take a look to see everything here...it's crazy.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

I've kind of lost interest in video games over the past 15 years.  Call me crazy, but I miss the old flat screen games.  I know 99.9% of the population disagrees with me on this, but with these modern games, I seem to never know where the hell I am and tend to get lost.  I have an awful sense of direction, and I think the GPS is the greatest invention since sliced bread.

But my brother plays these games, and the realism is definitely there.  No way I'd be allowed to play half these games when I was a kid. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
OK, here's what I was able to see, I had to take a notepad with me.

Nintendo: NES, Super NES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, Virtual Boy

Sony: 4 different PS1s including a blue "debugging" PS1, 4 different PS2s (two are the old fat style, one is a thin and the other is a fat one that is a debugging PS2 and says "TEST" where it usually says "PS2") PS3 (this is the only one of all these consoles that is actually mine)

Sega: Master System, Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear

Panasonic: REAL 3DO

Atari: VCS (2600), Lynx

NEC: Turbo Graphx 16

SNK: Neo Geo Pocket Color

Coleco: Colecovision

There could be more but that was all that I could see. Most of those systems (except the PS3 and Wii) are in one room, which is a cluttered mess full of games.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I've kind of lost interest in video games over the past 15 years.  Call me crazy, but I miss the old flat screen games.  I know 99.9% of the population disagrees with me on this, but with these modern games, I seem to never know where the hell I am and tend to get lost.  I have an awful sense of direction, and I think the GPS is the greatest invention since sliced bread.

But my brother plays these games, and the realism is definitely there.  No way I'd be allowed to play half these games when I was a kid. 

Actually there is a growing amount of people who prefer the old school games (I should know I'm surrounded by this shit). While it is nice to look back I would much rather play Grand Theft Auto IV than something like Space Invaders. Don't get me wrong, Space Invaders is a great game but GTA IV and what the people who make games today have the ability to do is awesome.

xraffle

Try playing "Grand Theft Auto- San Andreas." The city is HUGE and I kept getting lost there. It's insane. It's one of the reasons why I prefer the previous GTA games over this. I think they overdid it with San Andreas.

But yeah, I really liked those old games like Super Mario World, Super Metriod, and Donkey Kong Country. I still say that the Super Nintendo was the best system ever created. Can you believe it? My parents bought me my Super Nintendo in 1992 when I was in the 2nd grade and it still works till this day. I don't think it will ever break down, to be honest. Those systems back then are extremely durable.

Offline Curly4444

You reminded me. I also have game gear and a gameboy color.

Sega: Master System, Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear

Panasonic: REAL 3DO

Atari: VCS (2600), Lynx

NEC: Turbo Graphx 16

SNK: Neo Geo Pocket Color

Coleco: Colecovision

Man, some of them are so rare. Man, i love to get my hands on some of them. Hey, where do you live??  ;D ;D

I don't think it will ever break down, to be honest. Those systems back then are extremely durable.

If you like durable don't get an X-Box 360. I know ppl that are on their 5 an 6 units.

xraffle

Yeah, I forgot about the Game Gear. That's stored in my closet. Can you believe how big that thing is?? LOL, we should try playing it on the subway. I bet people will be staring at us like we're nuts.  :laugh:

Offline Curly4444

Yeah, I forgot about the Game Gear. That's stored in my closet. Can you believe how big that thing is?? LOL, we should try playing it on the subway. I bet people will be staring at us like we're nuts.  :laugh:

The battery life sucked ass. I luckily have a rechargeable battery for it.

xraffle

Wow, I got so caught up with people's response that I forgot to answer Jim's question.

Anyways, I have a Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Xbox, Game Gear and Game Boy Color. I used to have a PS1 and PS2 but I sold those.

I used to be into video games a lot when I was younger, but once I was in my 3rd year of college, my life started getting so busy and there simply wasn't time for video games anymore. So, I stopped and never found the time to start playing games regularly again. A few months ago, I played a little of my Super Nintendo and Xbox, but it was only for a few days and that was it. Video games are just too time consuming and addictive, so I have to discipline myself and not play them. I've been tempted to get a PS3 for the past couple of years, but convinced myself not to in fear that it may eat up my life. Trust me, you put a controller in my hand and that's it, it's glued there. I'll be playing all day. It's kind of like a person who is trying to watch his weight and can't eat cookies. He stays away from cookies because once he eats one, he'll eat the whole box. Same applies to me with video games.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I had an X-Box 360 awhile back but once I got the dreaded Red Rings of Death I learned my lesson and sold off the games I had for it. It is funny how the old systems seem to work just fine after decades in some cases but the 360s conk out in a couple of years or less.

I've heard that the new 3DS also has a very short battery life (about 3 hrs after a full charge). I think I tried the Game Gear once and while I was impressed by what it could do considering when it was made I didn't feel compelled to play it again. The Virtual Boy on the other hand is a giant pain in the ass. A pair of goggles on a stand I ended up having to play it laying on my back with it on top of my face. It also gave me a headache after 10 minutes of so. I haven't played it since.

xraffle

What's funny is that the regular Xbox lasts long. At least, in my case, it has. I got my Xbox back in 2003, I believe. So, it's been about 8 years and it still works fine.

Offline Curly4444

I had an X-Box 360 awhile back but once I got the dreaded Red Rings of Death I learned my lesson and sold off the games I had for it. It is funny how the old systems seem to work just fine after decades in some cases but the 360s conk out in a couple of years or less.

You would think stupid bill gates would fix the problem. Dont know how they make a profit, but I guess there's enough stupid ppl still buying it.

What's funny is that the regular Xbox lasts long. At least, in my case, it has. I got my Xbox back in 2003, I believe. So, it's been about 8 years and it still works fine.

I heard that had a similar problem to X-Box 360?

xraffle

Hmm. I don't know. All I know is that mine works ok. Maybe I got a fixed batch.

By the way, didn't Microsoft fix the red rings issue? I believe they released a fixed batch and offered to fix any players that are suffering from the problem. I could be wrong, but I thought I read something about that.

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
Count me in.  I have a Wii, an N64, and assorted handheld games.  I've been playing Ghostbusters over and over again lately,even though I've already beaten it, and also MLB 2K10 and Animal Crossing:  City Folk.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Lately I've been playing MLB The Show 11, Beatles Rock Band, LittleBigPlanet 2 and WWE All-Stars. I'd love to play my other games more often but don't have the time.

On a Stooge-related bent, my brother has copies of the old Three Stooges game for the NES and PS1. I remember playing it for Commodore 64 way back when.

Offline Liz

• Puddinhead
Beatles Rock Band is terrific!  I love the feature of photo and video collecting in Story Mode.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yeah, I've not usually been one for the Guitar Hero/Rock Band rhythm games but had to get a Beatles one and found it to be really fun, especially the later songs which do the whole trippy thing. I'll probably end up getting Rock Band 3 at some point because you can get the entire Imagine album for it.

Offline Liz

• Puddinhead
Nice.  I'm hell-bent on getting the drums for Rock Band, but I also want Green Day Rock Band because I am a Green Day fan (for some reason).
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline ThunderStooge

My best friend doesn't call me a 'Nintendo Guru' for nothing.  I have been a gamer ever since I played PacMan on the family's Apple IIe as a little kid.  But I became a Nintendo fan for life the moment my sister showed me Mario Kart 64. That was over 12 years ago!  Today, I have a Gameboy Color (my first gaming system, not counting the CD-i), Nintendo 64, Game Boy Advance (original and SP), GameCube, DS, Wii, Playstation 2.  I plan on getting a 3DS once I have the money.
My favorites are Pokemon (it's just one of those things I never outgrew), Legend of Zelda, Mario (including Kart, platformers and RPGs), Super Smash Bros.

List of my game library to come?
"Wake up and Go ta sleep!"

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I don't really get Wii U concept. I think they are trying to much gimmicky shit into one console with the touch screen on the controller and motion capabilities, etc. It'll be interesting to see if this thing hits but I'm skeptical.

Offline ThunderStooge

Yeah.  Is this the "Project Cafe'" that everyone has been speculating? I'm a die-hard Nintendo fan, but I have mixed feelings, especially the controller.   I can't say I'm as hyped for this as I was when the Wii was first revealed; then again, I was a teenager back then.  It's good that they're finally going to HD, but that's not going to be enough to keep up with Sony and Microsoft.  I'm really hoping it has as much power as it's been rumored to have.

Once all the motion control hoopla calmed down, the Wii has kind of become a joke in terms of power, and a majority of third parties being too impatient to learn how to properly utilize the motion controls, basically resulting in a crap load of dick-waggling mini game compilations.

I just wish they'd change the title of this new console.  'Wii' at least had a clever meaning behind it, despite the fact that its name was subject to immature tweens and teens tossing around bad puns related to the male reproductive organs.  'Wii U'?  I didn't get to see the E3 conference, so I have no idea if they explained the name.  What does the 'U' even mean?  It just feels like an upgrade of the Wii instead of an entirely new Nintendo home console. I know they had similar concepts with their handheld lines

Oh well, here's hoping the big N can get their act back together.  I will want Smash Bros. 4, but that will be a while.
"Wake up and Go ta sleep!"

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
"Wii U" as in "We You"...get it? <groan>

That's actually the explanation for the name, believe it or not. I read someone comment that the next one might was well be "Wii U Mii".

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man

Once all the motion control hoopla calmed down, the Wii has kind of become a joke in terms of power, and a majority of third parties being too impatient to learn how to properly utilize the motion controls, basically resulting in a crap load of dick-waggling mini game compilations.

That's the line of the thread right there.

I saw the press conferences of Microsoft, EA, Sony and Nintendo. Microsoft was basically "Halo4, Mass Effect 3 and a bunch of Kinect games". Sony rolled out the Vita, which is the PSP successor and actually looks pretty damn sweet with great graphics, touch screen capabilities AND being able to touch the back of the system to effect in-game as well as dual analog and six axis motion. They also revealed that the PS3 and Vita versions of Street Fighter X Tekken will have Cole from Infamous as a bonus character (like Kratos from God of War is in the new Mortal Kombat). To be fair they also pushed the Move, showing how the new NBA 2K game can be played with it and having Kobe Bryant come out to play it. They also pushed 3D gaming and going to have a bundle with a 24 inch 3D TV, a pair of glasses and a HDMI cable and Resistance 3 for $500. They also said that if two players are playing a game locally they can each use a pair of glasses and see two different views instead of having to share the screen, which I thought was cool.

Nintendo announced the Wii U and other than the controller didn't really speak much about the specs of the console. Mostly they talked about 3DS games and a couple of Wii games like the new Zelda.