The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

90's Music Thread

metaldams · 45 · 11550

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Just to prove my daughters deluded my brain ... here is one I enjoyed in the early 90's ...
[youtube=425,350]iKKONgfNONU[/youtube]
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
(Sitting down, wiping cold sweat from forehead)

At least we are about ten years away from "Classic Rap" ... we live in a changing world. Thank God for underwear.

Offline JazzBill

I'm not sure but I think being raised on the south side of Chicago might have influenced my taste in music a little. Even though I liked rock, I always had a special place in my heart for jazz and rhythm & blues. (or as some people here might call it, "colored music").  I found this one to put in 90s category. I seen him a couple of times live. He put on a great show.

[youtube=425,350]BAb8ZusfZxc[/youtube]
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
A lot of artists may span several decades but Alice Cooper, while having been prolific in the 80's and 90's is still very 70's. That was his prime and I may be wrong but I don't believe he scored any actual hits in ensuing decades. Don't get me wrong, I like Alice Cooper. It's just that there are only a select few who have managed to truly be relevant through multiple eras and he is not one of them. The Beatles were able to do it with their solo careers.

Fred I think you caused more of a faux pas with Rump Shaker than I did with Dave Matthews. I had completely forgotten about that song and perhaps one day I can forgive you for bringing that memory back up. There is actually "classic rap": the stuff from the 80's like Run DMC, N.W.A. etc.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

A lot of artists may span several decades but Alice Cooper, while having been prolific in the 80's and 90's is still very 70's. That was his prime and I may be wrong but I don't believe he scored any actual hits in ensuing decades. Don't get me wrong, I like Alice Cooper. It's just that there are only a select few who have managed to truly be relevant through multiple eras and he is not one of them. The Beatles were able to do it with their solo careers.

Alice Cooper had a mainstream second wind during the late 80's and early 90's.  "Poison" was a top 10 hit in 1989 and he has the famous "we're not worthy" cameo in Wayne's World.  While he may have been commercially sucessful for a few years a second time, those few years also happen to be one of my least favorite Alice periods.  Other than that though, you're right, all of his hits were in the 1970's and his last top 40 before Posion was "Clones (We're All)" in 1980 which was covered by.......The Smashing Pumpkins.  To me though, Alice has a few albums albums that never even cracked the top 200 that are great.

[youtube=425,350]ePhdNgDDT8w[/youtube]

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Am I the only one who likes (good) 90's rock here? Oh well, I'll keep going with some Alice In Chains:

Man In A Box (1990)

[youtube=425,350]TAqZb52sgpU[/youtube]

Rooster (1993)

[youtube=425,350]uAE6Il6OTcs[/youtube]
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Am I the only one who likes (good) 90's rock here? Oh well, I'll keep going with some Alice In Chains:

Man In A Box (1990)

[youtube=425,350]TAqZb52sgpU[/youtube]

Rooster (1993)

[youtube=425,350]uAE6Il6OTcs[/youtube]

Hey, I actually love Alice In Chains.  I take it you heard bass player Mike Starr passed recently?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
No I didn't. Maybe Cantrell will stop using the name now that the lead singer and bassist are both dead.

Offline metaldams

No I didn't. Maybe Cantrell will stop using the name now that the lead singer and bassist are both dead.

Actually, Mike Starr left AIC a little after DIRT was released and Mike Inez (Ozzy's old bassist) has been on board since.  Yeah, I think it is kind of strange they continued on after Layne Staley passed.

Jerry Cantrell actually toured with Creed in the early 2000's (poor guy) and tried to get me ex-girlfriend in the tour bus.
- Doug Sarnecky

Dog Hambone

Oh well, I'll keep going with some Alice In Chains:
Man In A Box (1990)

The video's alright by itself, I guess, but I still liked the version from Beavis and Butthead better.

[youtube=425,350]DiwhndDUV1c[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

Jim, like these guys or not, you have to admit Pantera is a real 90's band.  Here's my favorite Pantera song.

[youtube=425,350]p5vNZ1YYBWU[/youtube]

"Domination" - Pantera

OK, these guys obviosuly got their start in the 80's and are still even big today, but anybody who lived through the early 90's knows, for better or worse, you could not escape THE BLACK ALBUM from Metallica.  It's actually the best selling album of the last 20 years, and here's my favorite hit off the album.

[youtube=425,350]cwPg8gJq_Kw[/youtube]

"Wherever I May Roam" - Metallica

I have this on MP3, REALLY need to get the DVD.  A Leadbelly cover, I believe.

[youtube=425,350]nLe-NS3haxA[/youtube]

"Where Did You Sleep Last Night?"  - Nirvana

My favorite Beavis and Butthead moment

[youtube=425,350]DCRrP36KTGw[/youtube]

"See You In Hell" - Grim Reaper
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

[youtube=425,350]zhFFf2hxk6k[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]VgrJUkoyL0w[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]9buNckusos0[/youtube]

Some indie type stuff.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
0:44, 0:41, and 0:47...that was how long I lasted through those Matthew Sweet/Teenage Fan Club before stopping them. Awful.

It's good that you put up Metallica right after Pantera, Doug. It shows the difference between the two bands and why Metallica was infinitely more popular. Sure Metallica was heavy metal but they actually did more than play their instruments really fast and yell into a microphone. That's all I saw and heard in the Pantera clip.

AIC is not AIC without Layne Staley: end of story. Do you think people would have been happy is the surviving members of Nirvana replaced Cobain with a bunch of stand-ins or a different singer? Cantrell should stop using the name.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

STP

[youtube=425,350]iL2M0OSKruA[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]Q5w0ierGzTM[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]lM8dS51Rf-I[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]gzT8AoOau1Y[/youtube]
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

A little 90s Rush...

[youtube=425,350]4wJtQzD_lXY[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]YLTFbtOfmxk[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]dHSam88u5WM[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]UH5c_jz_gE4[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]FLq0tpZZe7M[/youtube]
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
(Please don't hurt me ... boy band of the nth degree)

[youtube=425,350]g4S0EPkT0UA[/youtube]

Offline falsealarms

A long-time favorite:

[youtube=425,350]_bTdLi0YUVM[/youtube]

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Awww, here comes the Mack...

[youtube=425,350]V8pG1mG7BeI[/youtube]

Offline falsealarms

R.E.M - Try Not To Breathe

[youtube=425,350]9RKzpCKexlw[/youtube]

Offline JazzBill

I would have liked to party with her back in the 90s.

[youtube=425,350]dR6mEu5-egA[/youtube]
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".