Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

90's Music Thread

metaldams · 45 · 11527

Offline metaldams

OK, I don't know how far this one will go, but anybody have any 90's favorites?  I'm borderline about posting 90's, and I will not do a 2000's thread.  Somebody else can start that one.  I'll probably do 50's at some point.  Will post youtube links later.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

I thought about doing this, but i didn't think anyone liked this era of music.

I like all kinds of music so a 2000+ music thread would be alright with me.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Here's a couple, off the top of my head:

The Offspring - Self Esteem

[youtube=425,350]JlGztHbDspg[/youtube]

Green Day - Basket Case

[youtube=425,350]NUTGr5t3MoY[/youtube]

Offline Curly4444

Hey what would 90's music be without GNR

[youtube=425,350]8SbUC-UaAxE[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]zRIbf6JqkNc[/youtube]

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
Well, you know, me being a girl, I had all the Backstreet Boys and N*SYNC CDs.  Listened to them all the time.  Two of my favorites:

[youtube=425,350]rOxveBLlyl8[/youtube]

I just listened to this song a few minutes ago and I fell in love with it all over again.  I love Justin's and JC's voices IN THIS SONG ONLY.  Other times they're just annoying.  I always liked BSB more anyway.

[youtube=425,350]-fxh7jAJR8U[/youtube]  

3:20:  As much as I hate admitting it, Justin was too cute at 17! <3

EDIT:  Guys, I was literally brought to tears watching this.  I cried so hard.  It's very sad.  I loved the passage of time as well.  It's just really sad and very Forrest Gump-ish.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline metaldams

[youtube=425,350]OjyZKfdwlng[/youtube]

Warrant - "Cherry Pie"

This is from 1990, so it qualifies.  It has major cultural signifigance because it is the prototypical example of what grunge rebelled against.  For me personally, I first discovered girls watching this video.  I was 11.  My brother and I knew this would be on MTV's MOST WANTED everyday, so we tuned in knowing we'd see the Cherry Pie girl.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

[youtube=425,350]4tzWc3Xl4B0[/youtube]

Megadeth - "Hangar 18"

Here's a masterpiece, a lesson in how to combine strong songwriting with technical guitar playing.  Very rarely does one see the two combined.

[youtube=425,350]RGvt-xN0rK0[/youtube]

Spock's Beard - "The Doorway"

Another musical masterpiece.  If this piano intro doesn't give you chills, you aren't breathing.  By the way, this is not metal, so if you're turned off by my metal picks, show no fear with this one.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

For better or worse, I grew up on 90's music. More middle-late 90's than early, but I like it all. I got into music when I was about 10, so roughly 1995 or so. First CD I bought? No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom.

Too many to list, but some enduring favorites from that era:

[youtube=425,350]FvK0zJ2etow[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]8CBBtorFg2I[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]Nntd2fgMUYw[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]Nm-1xvWibt0[/youtube]

Offline falsealarms

[youtube=425,350]eBHmcORu4og[/youtube]

I can't talk about 90's favorites without mentioning Live.

Offline metaldams

False, don't take any of this personally, and I realize age has a big factor on taste, but the bands you posted are pretty much why I dislike the majority of mainstream 90's music.  Actually, I think grunge, while not my favorite genre, was the last legitimate mainstream rock movement.

Those post grunge bands you posted, especially Live, are not so much extremely bad as extremely mediocre.  Safe, bland, moderate musicianship, the perfect background music.  No fire, no passion, I just don't get the appeal, but I also realize a lot of people disagree with me.

All I know is this.  My senior year in high school (1997) at my school's variety show, all the other bands were covering stuff like you posted while my band played "Orion" from Metallica.  We by far got the best ovation of the night.  I attribute 15% of that to the actual musicians on stage and 85% of that to the fact we just played something far superior than mainstream mid-90's rock music.  By the way, thank you all for letting me indulge in my Al Bundy like high school glory.

I don't claim superior taste, and freely acknowledge some things I post are gulity pleasures (see - Cherry Pie).  Still, compared to emo-metalcore, Justin Beiber, and today's dance music, bands like Live may as well be The Beatles.

At least nobody posted Dave fucking Matthews yet.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Some high school era favorites for me.  I was mostly going back and discovering The Beatles and Iron Maiden at the time, but here was some contemporary stuff I liked at the time, and still do.

[youtube=425,350]shfZzTJYZWs[/youtube]

"Tears of the Dragon" - Bruce Dickinson (1993)

[youtube=425,350]aLh1TwVjwuQ[/youtube]

"Cross of Thorns" - Black Sabbath (1994)  - For whatever reason, the live footage is dubbed with the studio version.  Black Sabbath had many singers, this is Tony Martin.

[youtube=425,350]v8h72Z47gXw[/youtube]

"Low" - Testament
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

My tastes have gotten progressively older in the past several years... 60s-80's, especially. There just hasn't been a lot of new music worth a damn. Sometimes I'm surprised, though. I'll always be partial to that 90's stuff to some extent just because it brings back a lot of memories of getting into music to begin with. I would easily agree that first getting into music in, say, the 60's, would have been a lot better. But I was still a couple decades from even being born at that point.

[youtube=425,350]snZcn3Qt1xI[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]vIw0ewEsNHs[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]2H5uWRjFsGc[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]HAkHqYlqops[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]Zzyfcys1aLM[/youtube]

Offline falsealarms

Two more for now:

[youtube=425,350]1D5PtyrewSs[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]TneAjKNHDN8[/youtube]

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
So I click on the last reply button on the message board main page thinking it will take me to Doug's last post and up pops "Justin was so cute at 17". It got me to laugh when I scrolled up to see that was end of Liz' post.

Anyway, in my opinion the music of the 1990's was a huge step up from the musical cesspool that was the 1980's. That's not to say that the 90's didn't have shitty music because it most certainly did, but it was MUCH better than the hair metal and all around sounds of ass that came from the decade prior and is definitely miles and away better than the shit from the 2000's. Here are some of my favorites that I would consider essential 90's rock:

Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden

[youtube=425,350]3mbBbFH9fAg[/youtube]

I am not a big Soundgarden fan by any means but you just cannot fuck with this song or the acid trip video.

Bullet With Butterfly Wings - Smashing Pumpkins

[youtube=425,350]MUpmowZlEAE[/youtube]

When the question "who was the greatest band of the 1990's?" is asked most people will answer "Nirvana". Not me however, I prefer Smashing Pumpkins. That's not saying I think Nirvana was awful (they were not) but with songs like Bullet With Butterfly Wings, 1979, Today, Tonight etc. the Pumpkins are my favorite band from the 90's.

Antichrist Superstar - Marilyn Manson

[youtube=425,350]C1gaD5eFzbw[/youtube]

A lot of people like rag on Mr. Warner but he made some great music back in the day. In fact, Antichrist Superstar may be one of the last albums that was great to listen to from beginning to end. Plus it made that "Clit Rock trying to look hard" hair metal shit like Warrant look as soft as it was and obsolete.

[youtube=425,350]pkcJEvMcnEg[/youtube]

You can't talk 90's rock without talking about Nirvana. I thought about putting up Teen Spirit but chose my favorite Nirvana song Lithium instead. This is just a killer song.

Closer - Nine Inch Nails

[youtube=425,350]_uJ5VKmx6F8[/youtube]

Finally we have Closer from Nine Inch Nails, which was basically just Trent Reznor. Great song with an infamous chorus.

I know Cherry Pie was technically 1990 Doug, but come on. That was as shitty 80's cheese as it got. I owe great personal debt to the better artists of the 1990's for nailing the coffin and burying that fucking garbage that permeated the 80's which really made me not very interested in music during my childhood.

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I have to side with Doug, FA. The 90's music you are picking ranges from not very good to downright awful. Live, Chumbawumba, Barenaked Ladies, R.E.M. and Dylan's son's band? Yuck.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
At least nobody posted Dave fucking Matthews yet.

Whenever there is need is for an asshole I shall be there!

[youtube=425,350]k7in-9E3ImQ[/youtube]

Not only do I burn you but myself as well: I fucking hate Dave Matthews.

Offline falsealarms

Smashing Pumpkins were a great 90's band... and this music video still stands out for me from that era.

[youtube=425,350]YEvVIgCm1zg[/youtube]

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Speaking of assholes ... (ref: shemps#1 above post)
My daughters would talk me into buying this one when that cable station called "the box" was still around.

[youtube=425,350]no6-vsHgHJg[/youtube]
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline metaldams

Like I say with the80's, mostly weak for non-metal.  I consider the hair metal stuff a guilty pleasure, and genuinely feel the British metal stuff early in the decade (NWOBHM, wikipedia it), and the thrash movement were genuinely good.  That's the 80's for me in a nutshell.

The 90's?  Well, Nirvana has grown on me, I really love their UNPLUGGED album.  Soundgarden has some good songs, and Smashing Pumpkins, like I think I mentioned in another thread, would be good for me except for the fact I just can't stand Billy Corgan's voice.  Unfortunate, really.

As far as Marilyn Manson, never been a fan.  As far as shock rockers go, Alice Cooper is 1,000 times better.  Alice has more of a sense of humor, better musicians backing him, and has way more diversity in his music.  Manson pushed buttons, but I never feel he had the music to back it up.

Some 90's Alice Cooper, with some of his best lyrics ever.  This song is both intelligent and flat out rocks.

[youtube=425,350]sAPD7ZZr7_I[/youtube]

"Lost in America" - Alice Cooper

Oh, and R.E.M. has their good moments.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Whenever there is need is for an asshole I shall be there!

[youtube=425,350]k7in-9E3ImQ[/youtube]

Not only do I burn you but myself as well: I fucking hate Dave Matthews.

AUGUST 25--Claiming that a Dave Matthews tour bus driving on a Chicago bridge dumped "80 to 100 gallons of liquid human waste" on dozens of people taking a river boat tour, the Illinois attorney general yesterday sued the band and one of its drivers for $70,000. According to the Cook County Circuit Court complaint, as the Matthews coach drove on the Kinzie Street bridge, the "contents of the bus' waste tank were released through the drain at the bottom of the bus and were discharged down through the open grating onto the bridge deck, into the river and onto the sightseeing tour boat." The band and driver Stefan Wohl have denied they were responsible for the fetid August 8 cascade, which landed, the AG reported, on "persons with disabilities, senior citizens, a pregnant woman, a small child and an infant." But Chicago cops reportedly have surveillance tapes showing the bus on the bridge at the time of the incident.

"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
When I saw "dumped 80 to 100 gallons of liquid human waste on dozens of people" I thought the band forced them to listen to an album or two.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
It's funny that you were the one that started this thread Doug since the vast majority majority of music you've posted does not have a 90's feel. When I think "90's music" I don't think of Alice Cooper...or do I?

For those of you too young to remember there was a HUGE "8-track flashback" movement in the 90's where 70's music and style became cool again (and even a show on VH1 called "8-Track Flashback" which was hosted by David Cassidy and I watched religiously featuring "pre-music video music videos"). I should also note the Beatles can be considered a part of this movement as they experienced a renaissance during this time as well and had a TV miniseries Beatles Anthology even though their music is from the 60's mostly. Then again the Beatles are timeless.

I remember listening to what was at the time a radio station that played only 70's music up in CT...can't remember the call letters though.  

EDIT: 93.7 WZMX "The 70's Station". Thanks Google! It's now an "Urban" station, boo!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Here's an oft overlooked artist from the 90's: Lenny Kravitz.

Let Love Rule (1989) Since Doug used Warrant, an act with a decidedly 80's style that released Cherry Pie in 1990, I thought I would start with this hit that while it was technically released in the 80's has a 90's feel.
[youtube=425,350]TcU57tAKzng[/youtube]

It Ain't Over 'til It's Over (1991) A decidedly different song than the Kravitz norm that shows off his vocal dexterity. A very stylish tribute to 70's Motown.

[youtube=425,350]Rqte5w257C4[/youtube]

Are You Gonna Go My Way (1993) Probably his biggest hit.

[youtube=425,350]eLhpHjmxNw8[/youtube]

Finally, 1999's Fly Away, my personal favorite Lenny Kravitz tune.

[youtube=425,350]NWLGj6p6J0U[/youtube]

The 90's are not my favorite decade musically but I do have an affinity for them as anyone in their late 20's to mid 30's should because it was our generation's songbook.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
While I am monopolizing this thread, here's the song that when I first heard it I knew the 80's music style was officially dying, Been Caught Stealing by Jane's Addiction in 1990.
[youtube=425,350]jrwjiO1MCVs[/youtube]

Embedding has been disabled so follow the link that shows up.

Offline metaldams

It's funny that you were the one that started this thread Doug since the vast majority majority of music you've posted does not have a 90's feel. When I think "90's music" I don't think of Alice Cooper...or do I?

A lot of artists span several decades, including Alice Cooper.  Alice always has found a way, IMO, to sound contemporary and still be Alice, even to this very day.  Look who he collaborates with below.

[youtube=425,350]tNqCsGRJHIE[/youtube]

Alice Cooper/ w Chris Cornell - Stolen Prayer

I'm really not much a fan a too many contemporary 90's acts.  That said, I'll throw you a bone.  This video freaked me out when I first saw it on Headbanger's Ball.  Great song!

[youtube=425,350]vFwYJYl5GUQ[/youtube]

Type O Negative - Black No. 1

"Cherry Pie" had MAJOR cultural impact on the 90's, even if for the reason that it helped start a musical rebellion.  I admit the 90's stylistically didn't really begin until 1992 the same way the 60's didn't begin until 1964.

Oh, and I posted Megadeth's "Hangar 18," from 1990.  Yeah, they got their start in the 80's, and did some good stuff in that decade, but they were also a huge band in the 90's, regularly charting in the top 10.  I lost a family member to suicide in 1994, and later in the year this song came out and had a huge impact on me.

[youtube=425,350]aU-dKoFZT0A[/youtube]

Megadeth - A Tout Le Monde

By the way, I've always loved "It Ain't Over 'til It's Over" from Lenny Kravitz, and I too am reminded of old Motown.

- Doug Sarnecky