Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Any fans of the "Kettle" flim series?

Offline pipboytaylor

Just wondering if any of you were fans of the "Ma & Pa Kettle" flim series? 10 flims from 1947-57. I discovered the Kettles as a teenager, when one of my local channels were broadcasting them at 5am on Saturday mornings. I not sure what got me out of bed that early but I'm sure glad I did. Luckily I caught them early in the run and I would set my alarm each saturday to get up and watch them. I now have them on dvd. Somewhat comparable to the Stooges comedy. Not the same style but they are good economically challenged down home characters with some good comedy bits and routines. Percy Kilbride's slow and easy approach is very funny to me. I've always loved his routine of changing the radio station by lifted up one side or the other of his rocking chair and clunking it on the floor. His Indian sidekicks "Geoduck and Crowbar" are also a hoot as they end up doing most of his "work" with his silly ideas. Kilbride was just one of those rare actors you could just look at and it would make you laugh!

Anyone seen these films? Care to elaborate on their style of comedy? Have a favorite film?

Mine would be "Ma & Pa Kettle Back On The Farm"

Offline Boid Brain

I only saw a couple, but they were fine. I loved that they could not remember how many kids they had.

Offline Curly4444

I watched some of them as a kid, but haven't seen them probably for like 25 years. Weren't the characters like the Beverly hillbillies?

Offline Boid Brain

I watched some of them as a kid, but haven't seen them probably for like 25 years. Weren't the characters like the Beverly hillbillies?
Not really....they were not rich and had about 11 kids. Plus Pa Kettle was a triffling old Buzzard!

Offline Curly4444

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I gave my mother's Ma & Pa Kettle DVDs to my father. I've never liked that stereotypical bumpkin garbage like that or the Beverly Hillbillies, Gomer Pyle etc.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Boid Brain

I gave my mother's Ma & Pa Kettle DVDs to my father. I've never liked that stereotypical bumpkin garbage like that or the Beverly Hillbillies, Gomer Pyle etc.
Hmmm...I don't think I ever met anyone that did not like the Beverly Hillbillies...in their 3rd week of the 1st season they were the #1 show on the Nielson Ratings...unprecedented.

That show with the kangaroo that Granny thought was a rabbit was the highest rated show until Roots!

So, are all cop shows stereotypical? All Westerns? I can see you not liking "Hee Haw" or Petticoat Junction....But not the Hillbillies.  Was the humor too subtle?

Offline Boid Brain

It figures.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I thought I was quite succinct in my original reply. I'm about two seconds from making a lot of people on this site very happy.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

Its just his opinion Boid Brain, don't take it personally. Shouldn't you guys work this out in a PM?

PS: It aint to smart to dis-respect a moderator.

Offline Boid Brain

Its just his opinion Boid Brain, don't take it personally. Shouldn't you guys work this out in a PM?

PS: It aint to smart to dis-respect a moderator.
I sent him a PM once. He ignored it.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yeah, sorry for tending to my dieing mother at the time and not responding to your fucking PM. Perhaps I should take better stock of my priorities.