Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Maybe Jordan was no myth after all (warning: basketball content)

Offline Curly4444

Try using "African-American." If that's racists, then I don't know what isn't.

That too isn't that PC Anymore.  ::) Now its people of color.  ::) So technically i must be a people of color also. I'm white, but hey that's a color

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
My curiosity compels me to ask: why was she a "beautiful colored woman" instead of a "beautiful woman"? Had she been white would you have called her a "hot honkey"?

Of course I jest because there is a major difference between "honkey" and "colored". My original question is legit though.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Boid Brain

My curiosity compels me to ask: why was she a "beautiful colored woman" instead of a "beautiful woman"? Had she been white would you have called her a "hot honkey"?

Of course I jest because there is a major difference between "honkey" and "colored". My original question is legit though.
It certainly wasn't necessary to add that word. But still, it was meant as a complement.

Offline metaldams

Jim, I gotta stick up for Boid on this one.  I use "pretty black girl" or "pretty Asian girl," or "pretty insert other race here" all the time myself, as do my brother and the other guys I hang with.  I use these terms in the same manner I use "pretty blonde" or "pretty brunette" or "hot redhead" (my favorites), or "pretty tall girl," or what have you.  It's just simply a way of recognizing that there are all kinds of beautiful women on this planet, and they come in all varieties.  Nothing wrong in pointing out what variety she is.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I wasn't being combative, it was just a question. Perhaps I'm weird in that I don't use those descriptors unless providing further information. For instance, "beautiful colored woman" isn't the first thing out of my mouth when describing someone. Also, I can kind of see where someone can get offended there: the vast majority of people don't use those descriptors when talking about someone of their own race. Thirdly, verbiage like that may be all well and fine amongst your friends but would go up to the "pretty Asian girl" and say "hey, you're one hot Asian"?

As for the term "colored" itself, it has been antiquated for quite some time now. It really depends on the person you use it with and whether or not they'll get offended. For instance, an older black person might not blink when the word is used but one younger than 50 might not only take offense but also consider you to be an old fart.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

I wasn't being combative, it was just a question. Perhaps I'm weird in that I don't use those descriptors unless providing further information. For instance, "beautiful colored woman" isn't the first thing out of my mouth when describing someone. Also, I can kind of see where someone can get offended there: the vast majority of people don't use those descriptors when talking about someone of their own race. Thirdly, verbiage like that may be all well and fine amongst your friends but would go up to the "pretty Asian girl" and say "hey, you're one hot Asian"?

As for the term "colored" itself, it has been antiquated for quite some time now. It really depends on the person you use it with and whether or not they'll get offended. For instance, an older black person might not blink when the word is used but one younger than 50 might not only take offense but also consider you to be an old fart.

Well, I guess I would never walk up to a pretty black woman and say she is a pretty "black" woman, just that she's pretty.  I can see where you're coming from in that sense.  But then again, I know a guy who's almost exclusively into black woman, so should it be offensive if he mentions that's a turn on?  I don't know man, these things confuse me.  I'm white, I have no issues being called white, and perhaps I just expect the same of others.  If a black woman went up to me and said I'm a good looking white guy, I'd just chuckle and say thanks.  Wouldn't think twice about it.  Then again, I can only think from the point of view of a white, heterosexual, male, so I'm limited.

My grandmother always used the term "colored."  She died a few years ago, but she would very loudly speak of "the nice colored lady" who came to speak to her the other day, when a black nurse was in earshot.  Of course, me, my brother and my parents would mouth that we're sorry to this lady, and she'd just chuckle.
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

I'm white, I have no issues being called white, and perhaps I just expect the same of others.  If a black woman went up to me and said I'm a good looking white guy, I'd just chuckle and say thanks.  Wouldn't think twice about it.  Then again, I can only think from the point of view of a white, heterosexual, male, so I'm limited.

It's because long ago, there were laws that discriminated "colored" people. For example, they had separate bathrooms, drinking fountains, sections in restaurants, etc.... Not to mention slavery, which many of us learned in history class. Due to all of this stuff that happened throughout history, some "colored" people can very sensitive when you show the slightest bit of racism towards them.

Offline Boid Brain

Man O man. Talk about a thread veering off topic. (Jordan's skill as a player) 3 pages and not one basketball related reply.

Offline metaldams

It's because long ago, there were laws that discriminated "colored" people. For example, they had separate bathrooms, drinking fountains, sections in restaurants, etc.... Not to mention slavery, which many of us learned in history class. Due to all of this stuff that happened throughout history, some "colored" people can very sensitive when you show the slightest bit of racism towards them.

Yes, I know my U.S. history, and everybody should be sensitive towards racism. 
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

The thing is, words like "black" or "colored" can be offensive to them since many people have used those words back in the days when people discriminated them. Pretty blonde and pretty brunette are not exactly considered offensive. Pretty colored chick, on the other hand, can come off as offensive and racist. And you don't need to be racist to come off as offensive. For example, you're not going to walk up to some fat lady outside and say, "Hey, you're a cute fat chick!" The reason is, people use "fat" as a way of insulting others sometimes. So, same with "black" or "colored." Those words are considered to be racist and offensive words, so even if one does use it to compliment, they can take it the wrong way.

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
Yes, I know my U.S. history, and everybody should be sensitive towards racism. 
History was my favorite subject before English, so of course I know my US History, and I agree.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline Curly4444

The thing is, words like "black" or "colored" can be offensive to them since many people have used those words back in the days when people discriminated them. Pretty blonde and pretty brunette are not exactly considered offensive. Pretty colored chick, on the other hand, can come off as offensive and racist. And you don't need to be racist to come off as offensive. For example, you're not going to walk up to some fat lady outside and say, "Hey, you're a cute fat chick!" The reason is, people use "fat" as a way of insulting others sometimes. So, same with "black" or "colored." Those words are considered to be racist and offensive words, so even if one does use it to compliment, they can take it the wrong way.

I know a few black people and they have no problem with using the word black people. Colored, the N-Word, or negro i can see, but black. They have to be over sensitive or just dont like white people to be offended.  I just dont think the word black has the bad stigma attached to it as it use to. My best friend who is black, considers himself a black man(Not African American, Colored or negro), and has no problem with me using it. Ive even seen it used on occasion on my local news.

xraffle

Yes, of course. I know some "black" people as well that don't mind being called that. But some are very sensitive and don't like it. Heck, I even know some fat people that don't mind being called fat. It depends on the individual and how sensitive they are.

Offline Curly4444

African American just don't sound right to me. I mean if your Irish or Italian, you consider yourself to be Irish or Italian, not Irish American/Italian American. My friend once told me im black, not African American. I'm not from Africa, i was born here, i'm just an American. If someone just immigrated from say Nigeria, that would be an African American.

Offline metaldams

It depends on the individual and how sensitive they are.

That's pretty much what it boils down to.

I'll share a story that's legendary in my family 25 years after the fact.  When I grew up, there was this nice elderly black couple who lived across the street from me, and occasionally their grandson from Ohio, who is my age, would visit and I would play with him.  I was about 5 or so, and my entire family, meaning grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. were over when this kid was visiting one day.  We were all having cake and we gave him a piece.  He takes a bite and goes, "Man, you sure make good cake for a bunch of honkies."  The reaction from my family?  Uncontrollable laughter, and we still joke about it today.  I'm laughing as I'm typing this.  But not everybody else would react the same.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

He takes a bite and goes, "Man, you sure make good cake for a bunch of honkies."  The reaction from my family?  Uncontrollable laughter, and we still joke about it today.  I'm laughing as I'm typing this.  But not everybody else would react the same.

I'm surprised they weren't a little mad. Cause honkie is the while equivalent of the N-Word. I mean if the situation was reversed there would be yelling and a bunch of angry people knocking on the kids parents door. So why is it when a white person gets a racial slur thrown at them its ok/funny, but when its done to a black person its wrong. Shouldn't it be equally wrong in both situation?

Offline metaldams

I'm surprised they weren't a little mad. Cause honkie is the while equivalent of the N-Word. I mean if the situation was reversed there would be yelling and a bunch of angry people knocking on the kids parents door. So why is it when a white person gets a racial slur thrown at them its ok/funny, but when its done to a black person its wrong. Shouldn't it be equally wrong in both situation?

1. The kid was 5 years old
2. Really not worth starting a feud with neighbors we got along with
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I would say that "cracker" is the equivalent of "nigger" as for as the "Uncle Charlies" go and not "honkey". As you can see I deplore political correctness, especially when discussing these terms in a serious/philosophical manner and will not use the term "N-word" because I find it to be retarded to do so. After all, we're all adults here and "N-word" sounds so preschool.

If I am using a racial descriptor for someone of African descent I will use the term "black". The term "African-American" really doesn't make any sense. After all I have been in big cities most of my life where there are plenty of tourists and immigrants and not every black person I have met is an American. So do I change it to "African-Jamaican", "African-Canadian", "African-Frenchmen" etc.? That's just fuckin' silly. When describing someone's appearance it's best to use descriptors for how they look because you really don't know what country they are from just by looking at them.

I've never really come across a person who has offended by the use of the term "black". Like I said I can see it being offensive when used as "beautiful black woman" because it can be seen as something lesser (like "beautiful FOR A black woman" or basically judging them to be less beautiful than your average beautiful white woman). Then again I am a guy who still uses the term "retarded" as a descriptor of someone who is "mentally challenged" because I find the word to be perfectly fine so what do I know?

As for your friend Doug, I would say it does not make him a racist to say he prefers black women because he is just stating a sexual preference, which almost everyone has (almost everyone having sexual preferences in general, not one for black women in particular). Personally I prefer women with lighter or more pale skin (a hot ginger gets my blood boiling too) so does that make me a racist? No, it just states what a find to be a turn-on purely based on aesthetics. It's not a fetish or anything because I have and still would date/sleep with women with darker pigmentations.

Offline hiramhorwitz

I'll share a story that's legendary in my family 25 years after the fact.  When I grew up, there was this nice elderly black couple who lived across the street from me, and occasionally their grandson from Ohio, who is my age, would visit and I would play with him.  I was about 5 or so, and my entire family, meaning grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. were over when this kid was visiting one day.  We were all having cake and we gave him a piece.  He takes a bite and goes, "Man, you sure make good cake for a bunch of honkies."  The reaction from my family?  Uncontrollable laughter, and we still joke about it today.  I'm laughing as I'm typing this.  But not everybody else would react the same.

I don't mind being called a honky.  But to be told I make good cake -- now that steams me.  Especially coming from a 5 year old.

Offline Curly4444

If I am using a racial descriptor for someone of African descent I will use the term "black". The term "African-American" really doesn't make any sense. After all I have been in big cities most of my life where there are plenty of tourists and immigrants and not every black person I have met is an American. So do I change it to "African-Jamaican", "African-Canadian", "African-Frenchmen" etc.? That's just fuckin' silly. When describing someone's appearance it's best to use descriptors for how they look because you really don't know what country they are from just by looking at them.

Wow, you agree with me on something. Must be my lucky day.  :D I doubt blacks came up with the term African-American, was probably invented by the white man. Hmmm, they dont like to be called Nigger, Negro, Colored, spook, and some even black. So how do we refer to them? Well they were originally from Africa and seem to love it. They live here now, so lets call them African-American.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I always wondered why "spook" was racist black term. After all, ghosts are portrayed as white.

Offline Liz

• Puddinhead
Then again I am a guy who still uses the term "retarded" as a descriptor of someone who is "mentally challenged" because I find the word to be perfectly fine so what do I know?
I take offense to that in the utmost form, because I am a person with autism (Asperger's syndrome to be more specific).  What most people who use the r-word don't realize is that a lot of people who "fall under that category" are very smart people.  Some are even savants.  So, to call a person with mental disabilities the r-word is rude and ignorant.  I don't even say it to "normal" people that I think deserve it.  So no, the word is not "perfectly fine" in my book.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline Liz

• Puddinhead
I always wondered why "spook" was racist black term. After all, ghosts are portrayed as white.
Evil spirits were black, perhaps? :D
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I take offense to that in the utmost form, because I am a person with autism (Asperger's syndrome to be more specific).  What most people who use the r-word don't realize is that a lot of people who "fall under that category" are very smart people.  Some are even savants.  So, to call a person with mental disabilities the r-word is rude and ignorant.  I don't even say it to "normal" people that I think deserve it.  So no, the word is not "perfectly fine" in my book.

People who are by definition smart cannot be retarded. Also, I don't consider people with Asperger's to be retarded: only an ignorant person would think so. The direct definition of "mentally retarded" is someone with an IQ under 70. It is a perfectly acceptable term and I'm not going to say something like "intellectually disabled" because a few people (who are generally not retarded) don't like it.

Offline Curly4444

http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=95;t=000880

Kinda funny but racist explanation.

This is an old slang term. It originated from the fact that since a black person is dark color; they are hard to see at night and some people have been spooked (scared) by them since they could barely see them at night.

In other word sometimes people (whites) would be out at night and couldn't see the "black person until the last second and got scared or spooked.

What i want to know is why there were called coons?

People who are by definition smart cannot be retarded. Also, I don't consider people with Asperger's to be retarded: only an ignorant person would think so. The direct definition of "mentally retarded" is someone with an IQ under 70. It is a perfectly acceptable term and I'm not going to say something like "intellectually disabled" because a few people (who are generally not retarded) don't like it.

I was going to say that.