Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Maybe Jordan was no myth after all (warning: basketball content)

Offline Boid Brain

In a previous thread I claimed that MJ was overrated. My years of watching Bulls b-ball, and the fact that I read "The Jordan rules" and one of Phil Jackson's books had me thinking I was an authority. While it is true that he was an asshole, and was hated by his own teamates, that should have had no bearing on his on court skills.

Since that last post I have read several more books on the subject, and have been forced to listen to the opinions of NBA coach's and players.

I could go on about all the factors that entered into my change of heart, but I won't. I will relate one little story: At draft time the Supersonics coach calls Bobby Knight to get his opinion....Take Jordan, or Bowie? He already had Drexler, and he badly needed a center. Knight said to take Jordan. "But I need a center!" Knight answered: "Draft Jordan and play him at center".

Any interest in rehashing this subject, Liz and Shemps#1?

Dog Hambone

MJ's on-court skills may have been one thing, but I've watched an interview with him on teevee & he comes across as an inarticulate dullard nearly devoid of personality. His Hanes commercials kind of confirm this - he speaks very little, & his "acting" consists of rolling his eyes (or something similar) at the loud-mouthed dumb white guy.

In other words, he may be an asshole, but I tend to think it's more of his lack of a discernable off-court personality.   

Offline Curly4444

He couldn't have been as big of an asshole as that Dennis Rodman? In the public eye he seemed to be a nice guy, i guess on the field and in real life he was a jerk.

Offline Boid Brain

He couldn't have been as big of an asshole as that Dennis Rodman? In the public eye he seemed to be a nice guy, i guess on the field and in real life he was a jerk.
Actually, Rodman was allways a deathly shy guy. A kind soul. He was later corrupted by the Detroit's "bad boys". He was further corrupted by Madonna, who taught him how to reinvent himself.

He went to San Antonio with his 2 rings and started his act. Jordan is not an idiot like Dennis. He is a southern man that tries to speak "white"', like many black sports stars he can't quite pull it off. His basketball I.Q. is quite another thing.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
How does one speak "white"? Do you mean speaking like someone who paid attention during high school English class? If so then I know plenty of Caucasians who do not speak "white".
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Lefty

How does one speak "white"? Do you mean speaking like someone who paid attention during high school English class? If so then I know plenty of Caucasians who do not speak "white".

I did not have a chance to pay attention in 12th grade English class, as there were 11 weeks' worth of teacher strikes that year.  But I musta learnt goodly.

Ah de-clay-er, sho' nuff, when Ah was day-oun in South Yah-meth, Ah had chee-uh-kun tan-durz, Fray-unch Frahz, ay-und gahlic bread with a glass of wah-tuh at the Olive Gahden, and they did not knooohhh I was from Flin Flon Manitoooohhhhhba, eh?  Now if you don't gimme fawty dollahs, I'm gone down to Toidy-toid and Toid Avenyuh, "and we won't say a word about it."

Offline Boid Brain

Example: Players that spoke "White" well: Reggie Miller, David Robinson and Clyde Drexler. All 3 raised in intergrated schools and went to college not only for the basketball.

One of the few players that would step up to a mic and not try to whiten his speech was Barkley. More black athletes should just be natural like Charles. He knows that in spite of his Malaprop's everybody still understands him.

But back to topic: Without Dr. J and the ABA Jordan could not have rose to the level he did. Why? Because Mike, like Dr. J.  was allowed by the refs to "Palm", or turn over the ball on the dribble w/o a whistle. That fast change of direction gave him the big 1st step on his drives to get to the basket and finish as only he could. Without that 1st step the lanes would have closed on him much quicker.

Of course every other player could have done that too...IF they had his great big hands and quickness.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Example: Players that spoke "White" well: Reggie Miller, David Robinson and Clyde Drexler. All 3 raised in intergrated schools and went to college not only for the basketball.

One of the few players that would step up to a mic and not try to whiten his speech was Barkley. More black athletes should just be natural like Charles. He knows that in spite of his Malaprop's everybody still understands him.

Wow, that is some of the repugnant bullshit I have ever read on these forums.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Boid Brain

Wow, that is some of the repugnant bullshit I have ever read on these forums.
I don't get you man....wtf is your problem? I give a reasonable answer and you go off. Repugnant bullshit? Why so abrasive Shemps? Never mind...just forget about it!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
That "reasonable answer" is probably from someone who is rarely around black people. Not every black person speaks like a cast member from Boyz In The Hood, and I find the idea that speaking eloquently is somehow reserved for white people fucking repugnant. I happen to know plenty of black people who do not speak that way.

Speaking like an illiterate moron does not know skin pigmentation.

Dog Hambone

Boid Brain, you're doing it again. Your mouth is racing down the highway, but you haven't bothered to shift your brain out of neutral yet.

Offline Boid Brain

since this is a dead thread I'm going to use it to try to post a you tube video. I read the instructions, I think I got it.
&feature=rec-LGOUT-exp_fresh+div-1r-1-HM

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
 General douche-baggery - S#1

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Since you're acting like a douche I'm going to give you a warning.

By the way, all you need to do to embed a youtube video is to hit the youtube button then type the video ID inbetween the bracketed items.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Here's your video, Socrates:

[youtube=425,350]lm6kZmBeHBk[/youtube]

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
since this is a dead thread I'm going to use it to try to post a you tube video. I read the instructions, I think I got it.

(1) This is not a dead thread, although your asinine (and rather racist) remarks certainly took it off topic.
(2) Videos generally belong on the Youtube and Google Videos board (although I'll grant you that I've not made that a strict rule.)
(3) You apparently didn't understand the instructions on how to post a video, because you're doing it wrong.

Offline Boid Brain

You are correct that I don't understand how to do it. It took a freind to teach me how to do photo's the other day. I'm gonna impose on her again for the vids. Sorry about practicing on the thread.

I reread my comments, surprized that they came off as racist. Not meant to be. I think it best to stay away from contraversional stuff from now on. I prefer the movie and TV stuff anyway.

BTW, I'm Mulatto

Dog Hambone

BTW, I'm Mulatto

Geez, I haven't heard that term in years. I assumed it had fallen into disuse as a colloquialism.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia:
"Although still in use, in the last half century the term mulatto has fallen out of favor among some people and may be considered offensive by some in the United States. Today the preferred terms are generally biracial, multiracial, mixed-race, and multiethnic."

And the entire article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulatto

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
You are correct that I don't understand how to do it. It took a freind to teach me how to do photo's the other day. I'm gonna impose on her again for the vids. Sorry about practicing on the thread.

I reread my comments, surprized that they came off as racist. Not meant to be. I think it best to stay away from contraversional stuff from now on. I prefer the movie and TV stuff anyway.

BTW, I'm Mulatto

Being mulatto doesn't excuse you from being called out when making idiotic comments.

Offline Final Shemp

• I'm sawin' a saw in half with a saw, see?
  • Applehead

Dog Hambone

General douche-baggery - S#1

By the way, my compliments on your new addition to the English language. I laughed out loud when I first saw it, & I'm still chuckling about it now.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
According to the Urban Dictionary, it should be all one word (no hyphen): douchebaggery.

Quote from: The Urban Dictionary
The greatest word of all time, simple yet pleasing in its onomatopoeic beauty. For one to commit douchebaggery, he/she is not limited to but may include some or perhaps all of the following behaviors:

- the wearing of flat-billed baseball caps backwards
- using an enormous amount of gel to spike the hair porcupine style
- wearing polo shirts or any other type of shirt with the collar popped, a disgusting gesture that should've died in the 1980s with parachute pants
- the sideways peace sign gesture
- overdone pursing of the lips
- too many visits to the tanning salon
- pointing at oneself, holding up beer cans, or making other obscenely immature gestures in solo or group photos
- following trends for the sake of fitting in (see "goatee")
- adding "The" or the suffix "-ster" to one's name, as in "The Rickster"

See Guido or perhaps frat boy for more. Essentially, "douchebaggery" is one of those things as easily understood by definition as it is by one's demonstrations of it.
At least guys with mullets can cut their hair, but there seems to be no cure for the douchebaggery exhibited by frat boys overcompensating for their small members.

Learn something new every day.   ;D

Offline Boid Brain

Geez, I haven't heard that term in years. I assumed it had fallen into disuse as a colloquialism.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia:
"Although still in use, in the last half century the term mulatto has fallen out of favor among some people and may be considered offensive by some in the United States. Today the preferred terms are generally biracial, multiracial, mixed-race, and multiethnic."

And the entire article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulatto
You are correct....nobody uses that word any more. Or Mestizo, or Yaqui....I told a woman recently that she was one beautiful colored woman and she went off on me. "Colored" is apparently a no-no also.

It's getting to the point that I'm afraid to open my mouth on anything even remotely racial.

Dog Hambone

It's getting to the point that I'm afraid to open my mouth on anything even remotely racial.

If you do, someone will notify the political correctness police!

Skin color is meaningless anyway; it's the person inside that counts.

xraffle

You are correct....nobody uses that word any more. Or Mestizo, or Yaqui....I told a woman recently that she was one beautiful colored woman and she went off on me. "Colored" is apparently a no-no also.

Try using "African-American." If that's racists, then I don't know what isn't.