Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Would re-watching The Three Stooges on DVD be as easy as a TV Show?

Offline Stooges#1

I was just thinking this the other day. I have watched shows such as The Shield, The Wire, 24 on DVD over a 3-4 week period and we're talking 5+ seasons each (the most eight), and then I was thinking that I cant picture myself ever re-watching all 190 shorts of The Three Stooges over a set period of time.

I would say re-watch 3-4 shorts but that is every now and again, and definitely not in order. Of course I watched 20+ shorts inside 2 days every time a new volume came out, but that was different as I hadn't seen most of them in years. Now that I own every short I don't have the same urge to re-watch them all like I do 4-5 seasons of a TV Series I own.

I don't know if it's just harder to do, the time period the Stooges were in or something totally different. I absolutely love the boys so it's hard to explain and I don't even know if I have an explanation for it.

Offline falsealarms

The shorts have a ton of replay value. The shorts have more replay value for me than a lot of the current TV shows I like. These shorts are the kind of thing you can watch dozens of times --if not more.

Except maybe SWEET AND HOT.

xraffle

Wow! You've watched The Shield, The Wire, 24 on DVD over a 3-4 week period?? Impressive! I have about 6-7 TV shows on DVDs and they rarely are touched. I only watched them once when I bought them. Maybe once in a blue moon, I watch an episode or two of whatever TV show I'm in the mood to watch, but that's about it. And that includes the stooges. The thing is, I just don't have the time to watch them and as I get older, the less free time I have. I like owning them. I just wish I had more time to watch them more often.

Offline pipboytaylor

Yeah, I agree with "falsealarms", The Stooges have more replay value than most tv shows. The action is far more fast paced, tons more comedy packed into 15 minutes than the running time of a tv show. Little plot to worry about, just fun. As far as replay, for me, it takes the proper mood for anything, usually something I haven't seen in a while as it is a tad more fresh than something recently viewed.

Actually the "time period" factor would be a plus for me rather than a drawback. It gives you more to think about in terms of how life was like back in the 30's & 40's and how it differs from modern living.

This makes me think about what tv series have the most replay value? Very few would I just be able to watch all the time. Most I can watch and then maybe revisit in a year or two. On the short list for me would be...

Andy Griffith Show
Sanford & Son
Cheers
All In The Family
Star Trek

Offline Stooge-Adam

I don't know if you can but I did. Over the course of a couple weeks I watched all 190 shorts in order. I loved it and plan to do it again sometime.

Offline Stooges#1

Wow! You've watched The Shield, The Wire, 24 on DVD over a 3-4 week period??

Oops, that line of text was all wrong. What I meant to say was a 3-4 week period for each show. Meaning 3-4 weeks for The Shield, 3-4 weeks for 24, etc.

I just think The Stooges is more of a guilty pleasure where I'd watch the shorts like I would a movie, randomly picked shorts every now and again, instead of a marathon where I would watch them all over a short period of time.

Actually the "time period" factor would be a plus for me rather than a drawback. It gives you more to think about in terms of how life was like back in the 30's & 40's and how it differs from modern living.

Yes, thinking about it this is correct and a good point. When I watched the 30s, 40s shorts I was fascinated with the scenery so I would agree with you there.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I have most of the All In The Family and the entire run of That 70's Show in addition to the Stooges and basically I have to be in the mood to sit down and watch a season/volume. Either that or I will watch one at a time or maybe a disc; I definitely wouldn't watch the Stooges from Woman Haters to Sappy Bullfighters all in a row.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

What you have to be in the mood to watch this guy?? Say it aint so!!  ;D

I think the stooges are fun to watch all in a row because of their length. Their short, fast paced, and you can watch a lot in one sitting.

xraffle

This makes me think about what tv series have the most replay value? Very few would I just be able to watch all the time. Most I can watch and then maybe revisit in a year or two. On the short list for me would be...

Andy Griffith Show
Sanford & Son
Cheers
All In The Family
Star Trek

Hmm. This gives me an idea. Maybe we should start a thread asking people to list the TV shows they own on DVD. It would be interesting to see what other TV shows people here like to collect besides the stooges.

Dog Hambone

Hmm. This gives me an idea. Maybe we should start a thread asking people to list the TV shows they own on DVD. It would be interesting to see what other TV shows people here like to collect besides the stooges.

That's a good idea, xraffle. I'll put in my 2 cents worth there. 

As far as this thread, I re-watch The Three Stooges regularly rather than watch most of the drivel that's on television. They're more entertaining and, assuming you're watching the DVDs (instead of AMC, for example), there are no commercials.

Speaking of commercials, it really sucks that we have to pay for television these days (cable or satellite), and there are more commercials than ever.   

Offline Final Shemp

• I'm sawin' a saw in half with a saw, see?
  • Applehead
I usually sit down and watch television shows in one sitting if they have an interlocking continuity and story arcs.  Shows like Lost, Battlestar Galactica, just about any Joss Whedon series (notably Angel and Firefly), and, most recently, Frank Darabont's the Walking Dead (you can't just stop at one with that show) I would watch entirely in one sitting.  In fact, I did a Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel marathon last year, watching both series in the order they originally aired.  That was epic, considering it was twelve full seasons, and through most of them I had to switch discs back and forth.

The Three Stooges are almost entirely stand alone pieces, which kind of voids the need to watch them in release order.  But I'm confident I can do it, because my love of the Stooges knows no bounds.

xraffle

I usually sit down and watch television shows in one sitting if they have an interlocking continuity and story arcs.  Shows like Lost, Battlestar Galactica, just about any Joss Whedon series (notably Angel and Firefly), and, most recently, Frank Darabont's the Walking Dead (you can't just stop at one with that show) I would watch entirely in one sitting. 

:o

Offline Final Shemp

• I'm sawin' a saw in half with a saw, see?
  • Applehead
Well, you know, allowing for restroom breaks and whatnot.  I'm not a machine.  I just act like one.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
C'mon, I love the Stooges as much the next guy, but you don't think watching them straight through would get monotonous after awhile?
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
C'mon, I love the Stooges as much the next guy, but you don't think watching them straight through would get monotonous after awhile?
It's not as bad as watching what I gave up for Lent straight.  On top of their shorts, they've got feature films thrown in.  I always say I'm going to make it to the end, but I never do, and I end up falling asleep.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!